Adding a carbine to supplement your EDC?

This is a discussion on Adding a carbine to supplement your EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a CPL here in MI and up until Jan. 01 2013 you could register rifles and shotguns of a certain length with folding ...

View Poll Results: Do you have a carbine in your EDC?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

17 33.33%
  • No.

34 66.67%
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By MrBuckwheat
  • 1 Post By aus71383
  • 1 Post By Yetiman
  • 4 Post By CJM
  • 1 Post By Camjr

Thread: Adding a carbine to supplement your EDC?

Adding a carbine to supplement your EDC?

I have a CPL here in MI and up until Jan. 01 2013 you could register rifles and shotguns of a certain length with folding stocks as a pistol and carry it "concealed" with your CPL.

Here in MI a long gun must be unloaded and encased or taken down and inaccessible to the driver and passengers. I put a folding Beryl stock on my .223 AK and can now get around that. It's now treated just like my M&P and I can carry it loaded in the passenger compartment of my vehicle (and anywhere else I am legal to carry).

I have been considering putting it in my car with a couple mags but I'm not sure the risk of theft is worth the small amount of advantage it may offer. I'm not sure if I like the idea of leaving a gun in the car unattended, even if it's hidden.

How may here have a carbine in their EDC?
    I am not asking if you carry one for on duty purposes.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    yep I have one with me. (in the boat)
    aus71383 and Mjr_Fail like this.

I used to have a Kel-tec Sub 2000 in 9mm. If I was able to carry it concealed legally in my state I would have kept it. I loved that thing.

Part of me likes the idea of having a rifle with me (or at least in the car). But realistically I don't think it's necessary. If I can get to my car, I can drive away. I don't want to carry a rifle with me wherever I go. Not sure what the state laws for me are on this, but it isn't an issue for me at this point. A rifle is certainly better than a handgun - but less convenient.

Austin
    Hulley likes this.

I like the idea of AWACS overwatch and some good USMC Force Recon for close support (mostly 'cause I just get along better with Marines). As for a carbine to supplement my EDC, the vast majority of LEOs don't ever have cause to shoot ANYBODY. And they have daily, intentional interface with scofflaws. I'm all for self defense. And I supplement my handgun with long guns for home/farm defense. But, as of yet, I'm not inclined to EDC a carbine.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Rifles and shotguns are not covered as weapons permitted by a concealed carry license in Wisconsin.

That said, I know a person who often has a legally owned pistol grip short barreled Ithaca 37 in a pizza box near him...
    Pyzik likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    I have a Mosin M38 Carbine but I don't take it out of the house unless going to a range where I can shoot it.
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

CJM
    The only reason I own a pistol is because I can't carry my AR.
    sixgun, Pyzik, Burns and 1 others like this.

If you want a very short (barely legal barrel length, but legal just the same) AK variant, check out the AMD-65. Mine fits nicely in a tennis racquet bag with the side folding stock folded up and 2 30 rd mags. It's a VERY handy little carbine designed for paratroops and tank crews. I removed the standard front grip on mine. This thing will take the abuse.

http://browningmgs.com/T2T3/Photos-2...rian_AMD65.jpg
    Pyzik likes this.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I have an ar-15 for range use and home defense if needed. Carrying a handgun sometimes is a p.i.t.a. I could imagine packin a carbine around.

I belive that once you try this, the only place that you would carry your AK "concealed" would be in your vehicle. I guess I have a couple of questions in response to that:

#1. Have you trained (or will you train) enough with your AK to use in a defensive situation? Will you continue to do so (along with trianing with your pistol) to maintain that proficiency?

#2.Is your vehicle large enough to let you employ a long gun? Yes, I know that your AK has a folding stock - but without the stock extended and having the weapon properly mounted to your shoulder, that AK is just a very loud an inefficient pistol. Hitting much of anything with a long gun with just a pistol grip is not a skill that is as easy as Hollywood would have you believe. Neither of hte vehciels that I own would allow effectively using a long gun from the driver's seat unless the threat happened to be approaching from the right direction. Even when I pack a shogtun in my Jeep, the primary intention is to have it available for use when I'm out of the Jeep.

All that said...there is no pistol on earth that I'd take over an AR if I had to pick one firearm to have with me in any potential gunfight that I find forced upon me. If you can find a way to have that AK accessible and employable, then do 'er to 'er.

Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    I belive that once you try this, the only place that you would carry your AK "concealed" would be in your vehicle. I guess I have a couple of questions in response to that:

#1. Have you trained (or will you train) enough with your AK to use in a defensive situation? Will you continue to do so (along with trianing with your pistol) to maintain that proficiency?

#2.Is your vehicle large enough to let you employ a long gun? Yes, I know that your AK has a folding stock - but without the stock extended and having the weapon properly mounted to your shoulder, that AK is just a very loud an inefficient pistol. Hitting much of anything with a long gun with just a pistol grip is not a skill that is as easy as Hollywood would have you believe. Neither of hte vehciels that I own would allow effectively using a long gun from the driver's seat unless the threat happened to be approaching from the right direction. Even when I pack a shogtun in my Jeep, the primary intention is to have it available for use when I'm out of the Jeep.

All that said...there is no pistol on earth that I'd take over an AR if I had to pick one firearm to have with me in any potential gunfight that I find forced upon me. If you can find a way to have that AK accessible and employable, then do 'er to 'er.
    I do plan on taking a defensive carbine class this spring (pretty excited about it actually). Deploy-able inside my car? No.

What got me thinking about this was a debate on an active shooter situation (the school in particular) and would you go in if you knew people (kids) were being killed. Someone mentioned having a carbine in their truck they'd want to take in.
    I have come to the conclusion that for me (at this point at least) having my AK in my car doesn't provide me enough security for the risks it involves.

Lead Moderator
    I would worry more about theft than needing a long gun in most cases depending on where you live. When traveling off road or in the woods I sometimes throw a carbine in the truck. Daily driving in and around town , not really.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Hiding a long gun inside a vehicle anywhere around here is operating a gun give-away program, unless a very good lockbox or other security device is used. Don't take my word or it; check your locality's crime stats.

It is not unusual for me to have a long gun inside the vehicle, depending upon my destination, but it is NOT my normal practice to leave any firearm inside an unattended vehicle. Presently, that long gun is most likely to be a 870P shotgun, because life is so much easier if I use deadly force, on or off the clock, with weapons on the "qual" list that is on file with my employer. (big-city PD) This shotgun is with me during my commute, and rides on patrol with me. Sometimes, it goes other places, where I deem the threat level is worth the trouble to keep the weapon secure. I would prefer a folding/collapsible-stock carbine, much of the time, but due to a bad knee, I have aged-out of my employer's rather athletic carbine qual course.

I do have a Mini-14 with a collapsible SCAR stock from Sage International, which makes for a nicely compact package. I repaced the squishy, oversized grip with a Magpul MOE-K grip. With an Aimpoint Micro T-1, this is a sweet set-up, which has been with me on a few road trips.

Generally, however, unless I am commuting with my 870P, my extended-range firearm is more likely to be a 4"-plus revolver.

Senior Moderator
    If I am going into the woods are off of the beaten path I do carry a shotgun or carbine, but not usually
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Links