H&K USP .40 for EDC?

H&K USP .40 for EDC?

This is a discussion on H&K USP .40 for EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I searched and couldn't find anything related. I was wondering if anyone has any experience carrying a USP .40 non compact for EDC. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&K USP .40 for EDC?

H&K USP .40 for EDC?

Hey all, I searched and couldn't find anything related. I was wondering if anyone has any experience carrying a USP .40 non compact for EDC. The gun to me seems quite large, and for right now its used just for home protection since Illinois is in the middle of their conceal/carry legislation. I have been researching some guns but my wife and I have a baby on the way, and I doubt I will have the budget to buy myself a smaller weapon and her a weapon as well as holsters. So I was thinking of carrying the USP for a while until I could afford something smaller. Was looking into the crossbreed holsters as a carry option. Any opinions or experience?

With the right belt and holster, you can comfortably carry this large pistol. I've carried one concealed, with an extra mag/flashlight, or double mag pouch on my belt with no problem. I can't comment on the IWB holsters as I've not had any success with them. Seems there's too much filling my pants as it is, without adding a couple pounds of steel. LOL Lots of experienced guys on here that do use them though, and I'm sure you'll get lots of advice.

It's a fine pistol choice as well, so you could do a lot worse. I say go for it, and carry it until you can save up for the compact. Then you'll be ready to carry them both. :) Congratulations on the new arrival. Nothing better, except grandkids. Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I was looking at OWB holsters from crossbreed. Unless I keep my butt in the gym until this baby comes (which I've been doing good lately lol) an IWB would probably be uncomfortable. I have a while to save some cash yet the baby isn't due until August I'm sure many of you know how that goes, the wife wants a gun to carry which she will get but I'll probably have to keep the USP for myself for a while...really would like to get an M&P compact in 9mm..

Full size pistols can be carried concealed very easily with the right rig and clothing. They're also somewhat reassuring...

I've become lazy in the last several years, only dropping my little 642 J Frame in a pocket holster and using that as my EDC. Not to disparage the 642-as far as small guns go, it's a great choice with the right ammo. However, in the last couple of weeks, I've made a conscious choice to carry my full size XD-40 with a spare mag as much as possible. My MTAC Minotaur IWB makes it way too easy to carry and conceal. Granted, the brutal Texas summers mean the 642 will still be my primary on many occasions, but I never want to find myself wishing I had the XD. The XD is similar in size to your HK, so it's all about your clothes and carry rig. I'm not in great shape, but the Minotaur makes IWB as comfortable as I need it to be. Don't discount IWB until you try it.

Congratulations on the future addition to your family! Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Large gun but concealable

I have the USP 40 compact and the USP 45 full size. I presume my USP 45 is about the same size as your USP 40. I have experimented with carrying the USP 45 and it is pretty large, although light in weight due to the polymer frame. I prefer to carry the USP 40 compact because it is easier to conceal and still shoots like a large gun. If I only had the USP 40 full size, I would certainly figure out the best holster to conceal it and go for it.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have a USP compact 9mm. I've found that as long as I wear and undershirt, it seems to work very well in a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB (similar to the crossbreed). Yes, it's smaller than a full-size....but perhaps you could sell it and purchase a USP compact in .40?

To be honest, the USP compact brings a lot to the table. I've acutally shot my USP compact in IDPA competition (rather badly, but that's not the pistol's fault!). I did not feel under-gunned at all, even standing next to folks with all sorts of fancy long-slide pistols.

I have thought about selling or making some type of trade at one of the local gun stores around here for something smaller. That would definitely be an option. If I was to trade or sell though that would be a way to get my smaller firearm.
    Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    I have a USP compact 9mm. I've found that as long as I wear and undershirt, it seems to work very well in a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB (similar to the crossbreed). Yes, it's smaller than a full-size....but perhaps you could sell it and purchase a USP compact in .40?

To be honest, the USP compact brings a lot to the table. I've acutally shot my USP compact in IDPA competition (rather badly, but that's not the pistol's fault!). I did not feel under-gunned at all, even standing next to folks with all sorts of fancy long-slide pistols.

I love the way that stainless slide looks on those! Thanks for the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have the USP 40 compact and the USP 45 full size. I presume my USP 45 is about the same size as your USP 40. I have experimented with carrying the USP 45 and it is pretty large, although light in weight due to the polymer frame. I prefer to carry the USP 40 compact because it is easier to conceal and still shoots like a large gun. If I only had the USP 40 full size, I would certainly figure out the best holster to conceal it and go for it.

VIP Member
    I've started pocket carrying a XDM 9 4.5" barrel in a home made holster. It should be
    about the same size as your gun.

I also have IWB and OWB leather holsters plus a crossbreed knock off.

All 4 holsters work in cool to cold weather with a long tailed shirt. However, the crossbread
    knock off is difficult to get on.

Pocket carry in a vehicle is problematic, however, making left front IWB more useful.

It will work if you want it to work.

I carried a full sized USP 40 for a couple years as a uniform belt gun. I carried it off duty as well. It was easy enough to hide with regular clothes on. My biggest gripe with it was the grip was just a bit too large for my fingers to confidently shoot it one handed.

I now have a USPc40 as well (I kept the full size pistol) that is my constant carry gun. It fits my hand much better and I like the way it shoots.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

jyo
    The full-size USPs are great holster guns---I would vastly prefer a USPc or the Later P2000 for a CCW gun---just smaller, lighter, slimmer pistol for concealment---also remember, the smaller gun takes a smaller holster, again, easier to carry.

I LOVE my usp fullsize .45. I know its a big large for CC but I may try it when and after I get my permit. :) You can't beat German Engineering!

I have a USP 9 FS that was my first handgun. Even in a very good Mitch Rosen OWB holster, I find it too big to conceal under anything other than a coat. It is a great gun, that will always be a fine house gun even if you do not carry it. Since you live in Ill, you can probably conceal it under a winter coat except for four months a year

I carried one for 13 or 14 years. I now carry a Glock.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

It all depends on your daily routine. If all you do is wear it to your car and into your office then sure , no problem. If your on your feet all day or in and out of vehicals then thats a different story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links