Which to get?

This is a discussion on Which to get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I'm looking to potentially trade for a new CCW. I've got 3 different offers. A Sig P226 with .40 and .357 Sig barrels, ...

Thread: Which to get?

Which to get?

Hey guys I'm looking to potentially trade for a new CCW. I've got 3 different offers. A Sig P226 with .40 and .357 Sig barrels, a Sig P229 .40, and a H&K USP .40 Compact. I've never really handled any of these. I need some advice on which will be easiest to conceal and most reliable.

Thanks guys

2. Remove Ads

Easiest to conceal would be the smallest one. Which in this case is probably the H&K. All of them should be sufficiently reliable - unless they are being traded because they have known issues.

Austin

Usp 40c

By coincidence I happen to own all three of the guns you mentioned. The smallest and lightest of the three is the USP40c. Both the Sigs have aluminum frames and fairly wide, heavy slides. They each go well over 30 ounces loaded. The USP is about 8 ounces lighter weight.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Your screen name is really close to another guy on this forum, in fact I thought it was him until I saw you were in Texas (hey neighbor)

I pocket carry a LCP daily, but at times when I feel I need to ramp up I carry a Sig 229 .40 SAS in a Kangaroo Carry rig (sort of like a shoulder holster). It disappears under my shirt, and it's not a burden to carry all day long. I feel better CCing a duty sized weapon as much as possible these days, to me, it's worth the trouble.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to try to get to a gun shop today and handle them.

Pogo, how does the width of a sig compare to a 1911?

Sig width compared

Quote Originally Posted by HKing View Post
    Pogo, how does the width of a sig compare to a 1911?
    A 1911 is typically 0.90 inches across the slide, flat to flat, and about 1.05 inches across the grip if you have flat grip panels (like I favor on carry 1911s). With regular width grip panels a 1911 is about 1.25 inches across the grips.

The two Sigs you mentioned, the P226 and the P229, are fairly thick guns. The slide of the P226 is about 1.1 inches flat to flat, and the slide of the P229 is about 1.2 inches flat to flat. Both Sigs are pretty wide in the grip because of double stack magazines and screw on grip panels, which add to the width. I'd estimate the Sigs are both about 1.25 inches wide in the grip. They are substantial guns, and I have always worn them in outside the waistband holsters, feeling that they would be too thick inside my waistband.

The USP40 compact is not as thin as a 1911, but it is thinner than the two Sigs, in my opinion.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Links