Glock 27 or 23

This is a discussion on Glock 27 or 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at the glock 27 and 23 this evening. I liked them both I know one is more compact than the other. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Glock 27 or 23

Glock 27 or 23

I was looking at the glock 27 and 23 this evening. I liked them both I know one is more compact than the other. I am looking to conceal carry, I liked the bigger of the two, I get them confused as to which one is which. I like how it fit in my hand the other was ok, i think if I put the extension mag in it would be a lot better. what are your thoughts, I do have a full size .40 already, I have a Sig P229. Which would be a good winter carry easier to conceal in the winter. What are you thoughts on each of the glocks. I keep trying to talk my self out of liking the bigger one. and go for the smaller one, But for some reason I can't.

Thank you,

Koby.

2. Remove Ads

I have both the 23 and the 27. 23 for the house, 27 for carry. If you're even thinking of the Pierce grip extension for the 27 in order to get another finger around the grip you might as well go with the 23.

There is very little difference in size between the two as you've already noticed.

For the record, I'm very happy with both of mine. I actually have two 23's for the house, one upstairs, one downstairs and I like knowing they're there.

Here are a couple pics... G23 with tactical light and the other pic shows the G27 on top of the G23.

DPP_2608.jpgDPP_2610.jpg
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Kobster... I recently picked up a 27 Gen 4 for everyday conceal cary. I switched from a KAHR PM45. It fits great in a Smart Carry holster. If you are undecided, try finding a range that rents them. Shoot them both... Select the one that shoots more naturally for you. Can't really go wrong with either. When you finally purchase one, be sure to get it with night sights. If the **** is gonna hit the fan, it will surely happen at night...

It depends on what you consider more important. If your primary concern is concealability then the 27 is the hands down winner. If you primary concern is shootability and overall firepower then the 27 is the winner. Me personally... I tend to prefer smaller and light weight EDC's that are comfortable to carry and easy to conceal. But it all depends on your perceived thread level. Nothing wrong with feeling like you need a bit more firepower on a daily basis.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Glock 27 or 23

I also have a 23 and 27. I originally bought the 23 to cc, but realized it was a tad to hefty for Tshirt and shorts. It is now for HD and I carry the 27 and couldn't be happier. I however did add the pinky extender and find it necessary. So my vote is for both! Can't have to many glocks!

:-)

I carry a 27 and am about to buy a 23 for HD and winter carry. Personally, I find more control without the pinky extenders and they add too much length which detracts from the 27's original purpose anyways. Learn to love the 27 for CC. Buy the 23 for your nightstand.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I have both compact and sub compact Glocks.

I'd prefer the G27 for the reasons others above have mentioned for concealed carry.

Best to go down to a gunshop/range and check them both out.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

Certainly no wrong answer here.

Sponsor
    I prefer the midsized glocks personally. They are small enough for concealment but still give me a full grip (don't like 2 finger grips). I usually carry the glock 32, so my vote would be for the Glock 23.

However, as others have said, you can't go wrong with either.

-Clay

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobster View Post
    I was looking at the glock 27 and 23 this evening. I liked them both I know one is more compact than the other. I am looking to conceal carry, I liked the bigger of the two, I get them confused as to which one is which. I like how it fit in my hand the other was ok, i think if I put the extension mag in it would be a lot better. what are your thoughts, I do have a full size .40 already, I have a Sig P229. Which would be a good winter carry easier to conceal in the winter. What are you thoughts on each of the glocks. I keep trying to talk my self out of liking the bigger one. and go for the smaller one, But for some reason I can't.

Thank you,

Koby.
    Well, since you already have the full sized SIG, then go with the smaller G27. It will be easier to conceal in warmer weather wearing lighter clothes. JMHO.

AOK
    I own two Glock 23's and a Glock 19. They are both the same size and are both a little bigger than the 27. I also at one point owned a 27 but sold it.

The 27 was a nice gun. The reason I got it was for better concealment. However, I found that the benefits of the 23 far out weighted the slightly more concealable 27. With the 27 you have a lower capacity, shorter sight radius, not as solid of a grip, more recoil and no ability to mount a light. The ability to conceal the 27 better than the 23 was so minimal it didn't make sense for me to make the switch. YMMV

I have larger hands and personally prefer my 23.

Better get it while you can, or you'll get the padlocked, 5 round, microchipped, painted orange version.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    It depends on what you consider more important...then the 27 is the hands down winner... then the 27 is the winner.
    Hey Rollo, I love ya' Brother, but didn't you forget to put a "3" in there somewhere?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

GH
    I suggest the G23. I had one but gave it to my son so now I carry a G23 clone which was all I could afford. Same size as the 23 & I never had any trouble concealing it summer or winter. The G23 has more magazine capacity.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

You're already getting some pretty good advice here. Let me take it in a different direction if you don't mind.

First off, I own the GLOCK 22, which is the big brother to the two you're considering. When I worked along the southwest border in law enforcement, I carried the model 22 in a Desantis speed scabbard on my hip, and the model 27 in an ankle holster, or elsewhere on my person, every day, all day long.

The biggest advantage to having two guns, is the well documented fact that it's quicker to get the second gun into action, then clear many malfunctions (not that I ever had any mf with the GLOCKs). The other HUGE advantage was the fact that the Model 27 (the baby) used the same magazines that the Model 22 did. So, should I be in a hand to hand battle with a BG, and lose my primary weapon, I could go to the second gun, and use the full capacity magazines on my belt.

Since your Sig and your second choice won't be able to share magazines, I'd recommend that you take a look at the "baby" GLOCK in .45ACP. I've found the recoil of the .45 in this small gun to actually be easier to manage, then that of the model 27 (40 S&W), allowing for quicker successive shots. Can't explain it other than to say that it pushes back instead of pushes up in my hands. If you're going to rent some guns, do yourself a favor and try that one too.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links