Pick a gun for me! - Page 3

Pick a gun for me!

This is a discussion on Pick a gun for me! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; every one forgets the Beretta nano 17oz empty conceals great, simple point and shoot same as a glock....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Pick a gun for me!

every one forgets the Beretta nano 17oz empty conceals great, simple point and shoot same as a glock.

in a thread like this i usually read every previous post before adding my two cents (assuming i do decide to post).

i haven't, in this case, so if i repeat someone else's advice, i apologize.

dear OP: your requirements make choosing a gun difficult. it's a bit like wanting a vehicle that will do 0-60 in 6 seconds, get 50 MPG, handle like a sports car, be able to transport seven people, and carry a washer and dryer. at least you didn't require it to cost under 10K.

i suspect that many, if not all of us would like a small, light, inexpensive gun that holds lots of rounds of a potent caliber, is very reliable, accurate and durable, and easy to shoot well, with virtually no recoil, and requiring no maintenance. yeah...right.

there are a fair number of quality guns that weigh 16 ounces or less and still shoot a reasonable self defense caliber. the problem is that most of them are not designed to shoot lots and lots of rounds. Jeff Cooper, one of the seminal figures in combat shooting, once described such a gun as, "designed to be carried much and shot little". as others have said, they are also usually not the easiest nor most comfortable guns to shoot.

if you are absolutely firm on your parameters, then i recommend a Kahr PM-9 as the best possibility. within your weight range, durable enough to shoot several thousand rounds, and small enough to be concealed in a front pocket. nice enough to elicit 'pride of ownership' feelings. (IMO)

i would be reluctant to recommend an alloy-frame or polymer-frame snub-nose (short barrel) revolver like my S&W 642, because i consider them harder to shoot well (for many people, including me), and a poor gun for doing a great deal of shooting.

any steel frame revolver will greatly exceed your weight limit.

i consider the Glock 19 one of the finest all-purpose guns, but, again, it greatly exceeds your weight limit, especially when fully loaded.

choosing a gun in the manner you're doing is a bit like picking a dog over the internet, without ever seeing your choices in person. i bought my first gun after MUCH reading and research, but NO hands on experience at all. i ended up with a fine, dependable, accurate pistol that i didn't like shooting very much. (it was an H&K P-7) i eventually sold it.

instead, try to borrow or rent as many of your possible choices as you can. consider taking a class or two as well.

good luck, and do let us know (in a final post in this thread) what you finally choose.
    Last edited by sensei2; December 21st, 2012 at 03:27 AM.

Sounds to me your more into having something that looks good or as a status symbol than something that's going to work if you ever need it to. Which is contradictory to the fact you want to carry for defense.

The new Ruger LCR chambered in .357 magnum with crimson trace. Very reliable, very light, and easy to conceal.

If this is your first EDC gun, get the Glock 19 and a hybrid holster like a Theis, White Hat or Cross Breed. It'll be fine for you and it's a great gun to learn on. You'll figure out how to detail strip it in minutes, learn how to reload quickly, learn what's need for this to happen and that to happen....it's very user friendly! I'd suggest the G26, but I really can't say it's any better. It's still a tad heavy for a sub-compact, a touch more difficult to shoot, etc.

I don't recommend a Kahr for a first gun. There are some quirks about them and I wouldn't want a first timer going to a combat handgun class with one. That said, when you get used to the Glock and need a smaller gun for the summer months, look at a Kahr CM9/PM9. They disappear and are very light.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Glock 19, or Ruger LCR.

Do you like my new holster?

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Dead View Post
    If part of the criteria to conceal carry is that the gun must be attractive enough to please your girlfriend, you don't need a gun. You need a new girlfriend. ;)
    Or buy what YOU need and buy her something "attractive".

Glock 19 if you can live with a little more weight.
    Kahr PM9 seems to meet all of your criteria.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Consider the G27 by Glock. Easy to conceal. With the pinky rest added to the mag it fits big hands (I have medium sized paws). Easy to maintain. The .40cal round has good stopping power. Lastly, the price will not break the bank.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    5 (Minor). Attractiveness and pride of ownership. A nice looking gun that looks like something from an old movie and not from a violent video game will help in selling my girlfriend on the idea of me walking around with a gun! Also something with a good reputation so other shooters will realize I'm serious about the commitment to carry and use a weapon and took the time to pick a good one.
    Even though what you're describing(under a pound, easy to conceal, easy to shoot, accurate) contradicts each other, I was taking you seriously until I read the above quoted text. Seriously? You want a gun that is attractive looking so your girlfriend will let you carry it? If you're working part time as a bullet trap for someone else's money, why haven't they put you through some real training with a firearm? Have you sought out any professional training geared toward the threats of your job?

My advice, go rent a bunch of guns and buy which ever one feels like the right one. Full size to compact duty pistols can be concealed properly on anybody's body frame. If you do meet up with one of these "professionals", do you really want a micro sized pocket gun with horrible sights and an awful trigger, or do you want something more up to the task?

If I were transporting large amounts of cash, there is no way I would carry anything smaller than a Glock 19 or similar sized gun from other manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Even though what you're describing(under a pound, easy to conceal, easy to shoot, accurate) contradicts each other, I was taking you seriously until I read the above quoted text. Seriously? You want a gun that is attractive looking so your girlfriend will let you carry it? If you're working part time as a bullet trap for someone else's money, why haven't they put you through some real training with a firearm? Have you sought out any professional training geared toward the threats of your job?

My advice, go rent a bunch of guns and buy which ever one feels like the right one. Full size to compact duty pistols can be concealed properly on anybody's body frame. If you do meet up with one of these "professionals", do you really want a micro sized pocket gun with horrible sights and an awful trigger, or do you want something more up to the task?

If I were transporting large amounts of cash, there is no way I would carry anything smaller than a Glock 19 or similar sized gun from other manufacturers.
    To be precise, I carry $10-20K of my own money on my night job, and there is no one I work with to train me nor with whom to share that I carry a pistol. In my estimation if I were to be robbed by a professional, he is either going to shoot me before I even see him, or be shot and being he is a professional and not a crazed drug addict, realize his priority is now to stay alive and not continue the attack. So any gun will be acceptable as long as I can shoot it well, and I have shot everything I have tried well.

Anyway, I went through all the suggestions offered in this thread and checked out their specs. Then I went and handled a SIG P238 and that works perfectly, I'm going to get that one. In Rainbow! So now if I am out with my girlfriend we can refer to it as carrying my 'Rainbow' and she won't be upset. Thanks for the suggestion Gunsmoke16!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I don't agree with telling someone that has never owned/handled a handgun to start out with a Glock 36 or most of the guns that have been recommended. I would suggest that he first attend a handgun course and then become proficient with a .22 revolver or auto loader, or better yet, go to the local gun range and rent and shoot the guns that appeal to him and his girlfriend. Recommending a SD gun is like recommending your favorite holster to someone, it works well for you but may not work well for others. Sure wish I had the money that i have wasted on the well recommended holsters that I have stored in my garage.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    To be precise, I carry $10-20K of my own money on my night job, and there is no one I work with to train me nor with whom to share that I carry a pistol. In my estimation if I were to be robbed by a professional, he is either going to shoot me before I even see him, or be shot and being he is a professional and not a crazed drug addict, realize his priority is now to stay alive and not continue the attack. So any gun will be acceptable as long as I can shoot it well, and I have shot everything I have tried well.

Anyway, I went through all the suggestions offered in this thread and checked out their specs. Then I went and handled a SIG P238 and that works perfectly, I'm going to get that one. In Rainbow! So now if I am out with my girlfriend we can refer to it as carrying my 'Rainbow' and she won't be upset. Thanks for the suggestion Gunsmoke16!

i'm glad you found something you liked. the 238 is a quality handgun. thanks for letting us know what you picked.

Bela - I agree with a lot of what gasmitty says and he lives just a few miles north of my home near Florence, AZ, so maybe it's the water down here :-)

Where I land really hard and firm after reviewing your criteria is in the Glock 26 camp. I've shot lots of handguns over the last 40+ years and spent the last 8-9 years finding the perfect Glock even as I've discarded many pocket pistols in .380 and 9mm. In fact, now that I'm retired, I've decided to rely on only ONE gun and learn how to shoot it as well as my skills and failing eyes will allow ... which is why I've chosen a Gen 4 Glock 26.

Battle-tested all over the world by Law Enforcement Officers and military personnel, the G26 fits just about all your criteria except for weight. Primarily, though, it's a gun that is more accurate than most of us will ever become and is often winning Matchmeister honors at GSSF matches in major U.S. cities the last couple years, so the accuracy is for real. Also, when it comes to concealed carry, I've found that an extra 1/8" of thickness or so doesn't really matter in a good holster with a good belt. I've carried a G27 or G26 in the same horsehide Galco Second Amendment IWB holster (abdomen carry at about 12:30) for about 5-6 years and no one has ever guessed I'm carrying. With the right shirt I can even tuck it in and 99.999% of the people you are around will never guess you are carrying. For long days of walking, driving, sitting and standing I use a Glock sport/combat holster OWB with the belt loops melted and molded to fit right-hand carry and the belt coming over the TOP of the holster from behind (at about 3:30). And, for some competition I wear a Blade-Tech kydex paddle holster with a paddle magazine pouch on the weak hand side. Other times I'll wear the Glock holster to duplicate real-world conditions more realistically.

Add the fact that you can use ANY double stack Glock magazine, up to and including the 33-rounder, and it becomes apparent that this is one of the most versatile handguns on the market today. The money you save over a much more expensive brand can be invested in practice ammo, high quality self-defense ammo (I like the Federal 115 grain +P+ because it's only about $19 for a 50-round box, which means I can compete with it on a regular basis) and holsters.

Finally, I would suggest you join the IDPA, IPSC and/or GSSF and compete against the clock and other shooters. I favor IDPA because I think it offers the best duplication of real-world scenarios --- drawing from a concealment garment, use of cover, strong hand/weak hand/freestyle grips, tactical magazine changes and shooting around hostages and hard cover, often on the move. If you are an adept student of this particular martial art, I think for about a thousand bucks you can become a proficient and safe carrier of a deadly concealed weapon.

No matter what your girlfriend says, that is the bottom line: you should become a safe and effective shepherd of you, your family and other innocents in our society. That's a sacred responsibility that doesn't often get mentioned on these forums. Oh, also make sure you get a concealed carry permit so you are legally prepared to deploy deadly force in the rare instance that you (or I) ever need to use it.

Good luck in your decision making.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links