looking for first carry revolver

This is a discussion on looking for first carry revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey! New to the forums, but not new to guns in general. I'm looking at my first conceal carry gun, and i've taken a liking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: looking for first carry revolver

looking for first carry revolver

Hey! New to the forums, but not new to guns in general.

I'm looking at my first conceal carry gun, and i've taken a liking to revolvers, I just like the way they feel in my hand.

The problem is i'm not sure which one to get to be effective, most people have told me to get a revolver that is .357 mag, so I have the option of using .38 special.

With that in mind.. is there a revolver that can handle +p rounds, has night sights, and can be equipped with laser grips? and which brands would you recommend? I'd perfer a revolver that was also DAO/SAO

(example, the Taurus 605 is very close)

Thanks! totally appreciate the help!

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the forum!

The first revolver that comes to mind that meets your criteria is the Ruger LCR. It is available in either .38 or .357, you can swap out the front ramp for a night sight, and CT laser grips can be added on. However, it is DAO.
    marcclarke likes this.

Welcome from the MS Gulf Coast. I too like the little Ruger LCR, and most of the Smith & Wesson J-Frame's. Most of the little guys can handle +P rounds, as long as it's not a steady diet. With the .357 you can get lots of practice with the lighter .38 rounds, and a few with the .357 or +P for familiarization, and then carry the hotter loads as your carry load. You'll get significantly more recoil/muzzle flip from the hotter rounds, but in a critical incident, you'll probably not notice it. Good night sights, or crimson trace grips and you're good to go.

Another revolver (not so little though) that I really like is the Taurus Judge, using 45 LC and .410 shotgun rounds. If you are big enough (in stature) to carry this little baby, I'd recommend you consider it. What a potent combination that is.

Again welcome & be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Welcome to the forum. The Ruger SP101 and the S&W 686 would be good places to start.
    DandLfam likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Sp101, try it at the gun range and use .38 then .357. Hopefully you love it, some people hate revolvers.

How important is the weight of the gun to you? A heavier gun will be easier to shoot but less comfortable to carry. That being said, if weight is irrelevant to you then my first choice would be a Ruger SP101 with a 3 inch barrel. Practice with 38's and load it with some good 158g .357s for carry. If weight IS important to you I would look at the Ruger LCR in .38. Practice with target .38's and use 38 special+p for carry. Some people can shoot the LCR in .357 well, I however am not one of those people. It's not so much that I found the recoil uncomfortable, I just found follow up shots too slow because of the recoil.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    How important is the weight of the gun to you? A heavier gun will be easier to shoot but less comfortable to carry. That being said, if weight is irrelevant to you then my first choice would be a Ruger SP101 with a 3 inch barrel. Practice with 38's and load it with some good 158g .357s for carry. If weight IS important to you I would look at the Ruger LCR in .38. Practice with target .38's and use 38 special+p for carry.
    This is the exact same advise I would give you. The SP101 will take +P rounds all day but can you? With houge grips, i can fire the SP with magnum rounds very well. The SP is heavier than the LCR and is not a pocket gun for me.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a fan of practicing with .38's in a .357, and then carrying .357. Go to the range and shoot both and see if your accuracy stays the same between the two. I'm a fan of practicing with what you carry.

My carry snubby is an S&W 637. It's lightweight, it's designed for what I carry in it (no gap jump, which you'll get shooting .38 from a .357) and I have faith in good ol' .38 spl. 158gr lead semi-wadcutter makes for very effective carry round.
    bunker likes this.

S$W Mod 60 and SP 101 both well thought of.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

A J frame S&W has always been my favorite. Lots of flavors to choose from as well.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a fan of practicing with .38's in a .357, and then carrying .357. Go to the range and shoot both and see if your accuracy stays the same between the two. I'm a fan of practicing with what you carry.

My carry snubby is an S&W 637. It's lightweight, it's designed for what I carry in it (no gap jump, which you'll get shooting .38 from a .357) and I have faith in good ol' .38 spl. 158gr lead semi-wadcutter makes for very effective carry round.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Ex Member
    S&W J frame 360PD. 11 ounces, shoots .38's to .357's, with Crimson trace laser

Oh yeah, I forgot. I wouldn't buy a aluminium S&W at (pardon the wording) at the point of a gun.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Get a SW 642 with no lock while you still can and ur set...shoots +P rated rounds in a lightweight frame with no external hammer to snag on clothes. It goes great on ankle carry, IWB, OWB, shoulder holster, and pocket carry. very simple operation .."
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I have an SP101, spurless hammer. It's a great gun if you can find one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links