Glock Dilemma

Glock Dilemma

This is a discussion on Glock Dilemma within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I now own an older G23 with two high cap. magazines. I love this gun,but it is very expensive to shoot. I have a gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock Dilemma

Glock Dilemma

I now own an older G23 with two high cap. magazines. I love this gun,but it is very expensive to shoot.
    I have a gun show this weekend (10/14). Should I try and trade this 23 for the 19? It would be alot cheaper to shoot but I hate to give up the power of the 40. Any advise would be appreciated

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    There's nothing cheap about shooting the .40 Short&Weak.

With the 9,you can still pick up some very reasonably priced ammo at gunshows and on line. Then just buy the expensive/powerful stuff for carry. Some of the +P+ stuff is pretty hot. It will not hurt your Glock either.

You will get away cheaper with the 9mm that's fer sure. -------

The G23 is an excellent defensive gun.

I have both the G23 and the G19. When I carry a Glock, it is usually the G23, as I believe that .40 caliber has more stopping power than 9mm, and I can shoot them equally well.

To put a number on practice ammo cost, I looked at my latest receipt from Walmart for Winchester white box. 100 rounds of 9mm cost $12.88, and 100 rounds of .40 caliber cost $17.98. So essentially the 9mm costs about 70% as much as the .40 caliber.

Only you know your economics, but if I were you I would like to keep the G23 with two 13 round magazines, just because it is such an effective concealed carry and defense gun - it has a very high ratio of firepower to weight. I keep mine loaded with 155 grain Winchester Silvertip that gives 1205 ft/sec velocity and 500 ft-lbs of energy, which are pretty potent ballistics.

Think About It...

and KEEP both for your arsenal. You may be sorry you got rid of the .40 some day.

Stay safe...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    Selling/trading = tears later!!!

Really - if at all possible keep the gun - you have a fine and well powered defensive weapon but addition of a 19 or 17 would nicely satisfy the 9mm economy aspect - and give plenty of good practice.

I'll assume the 23 is a familiar friend and so you shoot it with some skill and confidence. Capitalize on that by keeping the gun but ease off somewhat on ammo expenditure.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

well i have a Glock 23 and G21 the way i look at it, if you can afford the gun you can afford the ammo. just like a truck if you can afford a new truck the gas is the least of you worries. shoot the 23 and enjoy.....

I have bought and sold and traded so many guns. Now I wish I had kept most of them! If you can, try to keep your.40 and add a G19 for practice. I think there isn't that much difference between .40 and 9mm for "stopping power" it's the shot placement that really counts (read: skill and luck!) The 9mm sure is cheaper to shoot.

get a kkm or a efk barrel (look on e-bay for the best deal over new) and reload some cast lead bullets. yes, i known if don't have the reloading equipment it will cost some, but in the long run it work out cheaper in the end.

Steve63 said:
    I love this gun,but it is very expensive to shoot.
    Then don't, I repeat don't, sell it! You will regret selling a gun that you love.

If you feel you must spend less on ammo and want to shoot more, buy another gun in 9mm. Maybe the 19, maybe something completely different like a Beretta, how about that?!

Or, buy one of those kits that converts it to .22 LR...they make those for Glock 23, right? Right, here it is: http://www.22lrconversions.com/glk-pg.htm

I sold one gun that I loved, didn't have to, just decided in a weak moment to part with it, and I miss it to this day. It was my beloved S&W 629 with scope, and with deer season upon us I sure do miss that revolver!

Did I mention don't sell it? OK, repeat after me, "Don't sell it..." Next, say "Don't trade it..."

I had a G23 once...god I wish I woulda kept it! I would say bite the bullett (pardon the pun) and give up something (pop, coffee, beer, smokes...whatever) take the funds you save from not indulging in those sinful vices and support the only GOOD vice there is - your SHOOTING habit! You should save enough to buy an extra 200-300 rounds a month if you just give up something else. This will save your life 2 ways - no bad, unhealthy habits AND becoming a better shot!

Lead Moderator
    I started reloading because of the cost of .40 ammo.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Either reload or get a factory glock 9mm barrel it will drop right in

You could go out and buy a Atvantage Arms 22 Cal conversion slide and shoot the heck out the G23.......ORRRR save the money.....and go buy yourself a 22 LR pistol such as a Ruger 22/45, as they retail new for around 250.00 (the conversion would cost about that same amount) Then you have another toy to shoot
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Thanks for all of the input. I have decided to keep the G23 and buy the G26 as my second firearm.

I have a G23 and a G19. The main advantage I find is that they both use the same holster. I practice with the G19 and carry the G23.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links