Charter Arms Off Duty Aluminum 38spl

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Off Duty Aluminum 38spl within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you guys think about this pistol? Trying to decide between a Ruger LCR 38, Smith 642, and this one....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Charter Arms Off Duty Aluminum 38spl

What do you guys think about this pistol? Trying to decide between a Ruger LCR 38, Smith 642, and this one.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I like them all. My opinion is, the Smith J frame is most popular and a very good choice. The LCR with Tamer Grip will have the smoothest trigger and may be the most comfortable to shoot. Charter Arms have had their problems but, the recent reports are saying they have turned things around and are doing well. I think the Charter may be the lightest in weight and maybe the most inexpensive. I have 3 J-Frames and a LCR 357. I carry and shoot the LCR 357 more because it is more comfortable to shoot 38+P, I would rather shoot and carry 357, and I am a little more accurate with it. If I never intended to shoot or carry 357 I would probably still be carrying my 442. I always liked the looks of the 442 best, if looks count.

I dont think that you can do wrong with either one of your choices. I have carried a 642 for years, and have been very happy with it. I also carry a charter arms bulldog 44 special that i love also. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The Ruger or Smith action is light years ahead of the Charter for smoothness.

I've owned them all and like shooting the LCR as it doesn't feel like a chuck of steel slapping your hand.

I tend to like the Xs sights and using 110 or 125 gr. JHPs in my LCRs.

Thanks for the replies!

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    That's what we are here for (I think:) so best of luck with buying your new gun.

i have heard such great things about the Ruger, but i hate to be a snob, but they are so ugly, i just cannot get over it!!!! Fit and finish on the charter is not as good as the smiths i own, but they are still well built, and will last a lifetime, and then some. I believe Charter Arms manufactures the lightest 38special on the market right now... bunker
    Attached Images
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I gave my mother my Charter Arms On Duty (same aluminum frame as the Off Duty, but has a hammer shroud) The trigger is better than my S&W 442 even after lighter springs. She had a hard time with her older full size revolver due to weight and trigger but shoots the Charter just fine.
    The fit and finish do not equal the S&W but after a few hundred rounds and lots of dry firing, the action on the Charter is very nice.
    DSCN0157.jpg

gtv
    I have an LCR, and love it, but my father-in-law has the Charter Arms .38 and it is really nice, too. Nice enough that it has me wanting to try a .44 Special Bulldog, if I can ever find one!
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Bought a red Charter for my wife last Christmas. I fired it at the range and the rubber grips that came on it made it very comfortable to shoot...even the 5 +P's I shot thru it.

The Charter is a good little concealable gun, and only weighs something like 12-13 ounces.

I have 5 Charters, and they all run just fine. Don't have the Off Duty, but they seem to be well-liked by owners.

Quote Originally Posted by gtv View Post
    I have an LCR, and love it, but my father-in-law has the Charter Arms .38 and it is really nice, too. Nice enough that it has me wanting to try a .44 Special Bulldog, if I can ever find one!
    I have a .44 Bulldog, and it is my EDC. I replaced the grips with some old-style wood grips and it is AWESOME. I really like my Bulldog. It's the center gun on the top row of the pic.

5_Charters.jpg

Bought my wife and I matching Charter Undercover .38+p's . One came out of the box running fine . The other had serious alignment issues and was replaced by the dealer in 3 days . We now have 2 'natural'shooters .
    Factory grips were great for both of us . Since I carry 4oclock iwb I installed hard plastic grips with a waistband clip . Great for
    CCW but too small for my 9 1/2"x5" hand .
    One of my winter projects is to make a custom set of wood grips combining the best of both worlds . I also applied fluorescent
    green nail polish to the front sights of both . Greatly improved front sight aquisition .

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Ive had a few Charters, and a few S&Ws. the difference is polish, fit, and finish. But they shoot just as well for less money. So if looks are important get the Smith, and if its just a tool that rides with you the Charter willdo the same job for about half the price. DR
    Truckinbutch likes this.

I had a recent (well 2009 or so) production Bulldog Pug DAO for a while. I was very happy with the gun, but a friend talked me out of it. I have been missing it here recently, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I really like the 5-shot, compact, .44 Special concept. I wish Ruger would produce a SP101 so chambered, I'd buy three of those.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links