Kahr K40 and Glock 23 or 21

This is a discussion on Kahr K40 and Glock 23 or 21 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys. This is my first post but I have been reading this site for a couple of months! I love the site and love ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NY27

Thread: Kahr K40 and Glock 23 or 21

Kahr K40 and Glock 23 or 21

Hey guys. This is my first post but I have been reading this site for a couple of months! I love the site and love the advice given on the site.

I have had a few Kahrs (p380, MK9 and a K9) and loved to play at the range for the last year and a half. However, lately, I have gotten more serious about my guns. I just recently traded in the P380 for a Glock 19 G4. I love the 19. I think the Kahr and the Glock are similar and both are great guns! I love my K9 and will be getting my CHL in January. It will be my primary CCW and the G19 will go on my nightstand.

However, I also own a business and wanted to keep a gun there as well. I have really been thinking about trading my mk9 (shor handle makes me less accurate) and moving up to the .40 for my office. I also want something with a higher capacity than just my K9. I shot the Glock G23 G4 and really liked it as well. not as accurate with it as the 19 but with practice, I could be. I was just trying to decide if I should get the 23 for the office and maybe get a Kahr K40 to rotate with my K9.

The other option would be to forego the K40 and the G23 and get a G21. I have never shot the g21 but I hear good things about them. However, I know there is no chance of concealing that bad boy like I can my G 19 in the winter. I live in TX so not many cool days to conceal something too big.

I would really love to hear your thoughts as I respect your experience over my own. Would love to hear from G21, g23 and k40 owners.

2. Remove Ads

Why not just carry the 19 back and forth and use it for both the office and home? Or if that isn't an option, then get a 17 for the office. I have a 23 as a duty weapon and it is a fine weapon, but I love my 19. Practice will make you better with a .40, but you'll probably always shoot the 9mm faster w/ more accuracy.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

NY27, thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought about the 17 but it is a good open with more rounds than the 23. I am extremely accurate with my K9 and my 19. do you carry your 19 off duty? Why do most police carry the .40? I always love to hear what police carry off duty.

I have and carry both the K40 and Glock 23. The Glock is my issued duty weapon and the K40 is my privately owned off-duty. The advice Y27 gave is good. Personally I alternate carry of the Glock and Kahr. While I shoot the Glock well, the Kahr fits my hand much better and is more comfortable IWB with the Crossbreed Supertuck.

Quote Originally Posted by phil413tx View Post
    NY27, thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought about the 17 but it is a good open with more rounds than the 23. I am extremely accurate with my K9 and my 19. do you carry your 19 off duty? Why do most police carry the .40? I always love to hear what police carry off duty.
    I carry the 23 at work bc that is what my dept issues. Most LE agencies carry the .40 bc they think it is a good compromise between capacity and power. The problem is many Officers have problems shooting it accurately. I shoot my .40's very well and am 100% confident that I can get the job done with them. However, I shoot my 9mm's faster with accuracy. With modern ammo, 9mm is on par w/ .40 SW. Off-duty I usually carry my G26 or 19.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

If you feel the Glock 21 would be too large, then consider the Glock 30 (either the standard or SF model). It is the same size as a Glock 19 (slightly thicker) but will accept the G21's magazines for a reload.

One word of caution - you really need to shoot the .45 Glocks to appreciate them. At first, they feel thick in the hand, but when you shoot them, all I can say is - wow. Soft recoil, fast follow up shots, good capacity, reliable - what's not to like? I prefer the .45 to the .40, as the .40's recoil impulse seems to be sharper to me.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Links