A Good Read

This is a discussion on A Good Read within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think that everyone will like this story about a true gunhand. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/957612/posts Jungle Work...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Good Read

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell

A Good Read

I think that everyone will like this story about a true gunhand.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/957612/posts

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    All the sudden I think I need more practice

"[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Wow, good reading there! I think I may have to join Dakotaranger on the range for some practice too.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

just amazing !...... talk about a real life hero !
    Last edited by artz; October 13th, 2006 at 08:47 AM.

He was a natural! Wow is all I can say.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Moderator
    Exellent !
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

There is a poster on warriortalk and totalprotectioninteractive that goes by the handle of DaveJames. He has met most of the greats, (Bryce, Askins, etc.), and shot with them. He had a recent thread on their advice relating to gunfighting.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=17055

You may have to register to read, but well worth it.

Edit: Well, I just did a member search and he is also a member here. Perhaps we can persuade him to post it here as well.

excellent! thanks for posting it.
    there's definitely a great movie in that story...

As requested

ONe time when I was feeling my oats I ask Mr. Bryce, about killing people and shooting. Starnge enough to a thirteen year old, he said "Its a damn bad job", and suggest don't do it.. You may get to like it.

I knew more was coming so I waited , and then he started:

Single man or [woman], shoot for the gut up close, it hurts like hell and bleeds like a stuck pig,,and most believe their done with a bullet there,
    If that doesn't stop them keep shooting up into the chest, and last the head.

He always stressed not to shoot for the head until last, again strange enough, he remarked,"Remember their some bodys kid".

I replied okay what about more than one, his reply "If you can use a shotgun,load it with blue peters whistlers" Found out later its 00 buck.

Again shoot for the gut area.. Okay but what about your 357,,"Well then its a pair to each, and then back to those who need it"

"The game is to send them to hades,not you"

When you approach a bad man what do you do?
    Make sure your ready and have your pistol in your hand,,if not make sure nothing is in the way to stop your draw,, unbutton you coat, remember to hook it with your thumb, if need be grab the bottom of the coat with your other hand and PULL IT!!! to the side .

Never stand still if you can, always go foreward if you can,and never stop.
    COver is and can be your friend, but don't worry about it,,if you do it right they will be the ones caught with their pants down.

I asked him how he knew if some one was going to draw on him
    "THe eyes,give'm away every time"

Couple of years later when the ole man took me to Col.Askins, His comment was " DAMN SMART MAN"

Continued

We spent some time toward the end of the last month going over , what and what not to do in chasing bad guys. As most know his "rep" alone was enough to make most come out..

"Never follow a man into a whore house,or saloon, if he is visting them he has friends there, if possible wait him out." If you can't ,,go in with force ,at lest 3 of your best men, and go heavy, with guns in hand.

Never chase into an alley,for the common sense reasons, if he ran into it,he more than likely knows it. if you go into one, do so slowly and quitely, doesn't matter weather you go down the middle or hug the wall, your behind the 8 ball, keep your weapon up at the waist charged and ready to go,,look with the eyes,not the head{I asked about this and what he meant was sweep with the eyes,use side vision,and then slowly pivot the head}

If the shooting starts,move and fire if you can and fire at the flash or his outline if you can see it.Don't worry about the center get lead into him.

IF you can't move stand and deliever, some times when all else is moving the still man wins with controled shots...

This is where he said the shotgun was the best tool,a short one tuck up under your side, use a clean white hankerchif tied around the front bead, it will catch the light and give you a reference point. {Col.Askins said the same} When firing depress the barrel a little at night you will tend to shoot high.

I asked about back up's,, he didn't think carrying two guns was a bad idea,as long as you practiced with them

Never brag about shooting men, it makes you small , but never aplogize for you are the right man, never profit from a death,and never fear death, for GOD will know.

"I have known some truly evil men,and every one deserved a bullet,,several of them"

If you are in a local watering hole,taking a drink,never encumber your shooting hand,always leave it relaxed and ready, when ever posible set with your back to a wall or off to the side in shadow.

If drawn apon at close, don't hesitate, fight and if need be lay steel up along side the head until you can shoot,and when you shoot kill'em

Never threathen any one and treat them as you would your mother,untill they show otherwise, and then as a rabid dog

When the grandfathers and the oleman first approached Col.Askins he blew them off,,and then a friend of the ole man's step up and the introductions where made and the need explained,, next thing I knew it was range time..

He stated he give a good god damn who had shown me what, we start from scratch........

First day at the range was fundementals,and the old NRA bulleyes shooting style, YES WITH SIGHTS,all the way out to 50 yards agiain with wheel guns, this went on for a week until he was happy.
    THen he started me through what ever program he had taught the Border Patrol guys.

We shot clay clumps, cow patties rocks dirt clods you name it,, we would walk the range, and with his command, I had to move,draw shoot at the appointed target, and we worked reloading on the move and proper indexing of cylinders weather Colt's or S&W's, He prefered Colts, and loved my 357 model but prefered the 4" to the 6"

He showed me as he said the proper use of the M1 Garand, and smaller rifles and shotguns, he also told of using a white hanky tied to front of the shotgun for a reference point,, His views of Point Shooting where about the same as others, but he didn't think it was as important to lock into the belly, he stressed the top half was a tank turret, and in a gun fight "If you root you die",,

My greatgrand father was 90 at the time and he and the Col spent long hours as it where talking ,,grandfather about the civil war in the western areas, and marshalling in Kansas, and the Col. about Texas and his escapades,, I will not go into his express feelings of that time about those other than white, most all ready know them any way,

He was another who was a stone cold killer and had no regrets other than not killing enough germans as he said.

To me he was a warm,but a bit brash ,fatherly figure, who once he understood my dad's wishes went out of his way to help, he was the only professional I trained with that was left handed,and showed me some of his special built rifles.

He loved reloading and brushed me up on that as well,

MATT, it was a basic course to show me how to properly load and fire them, and a discussion/cussin on wounding caused and proper shot placement.

He showed me the way to "ride" the recoil of the big M1 and how to fire mutiples,which we would now call "double, triple" taps with the carbine.

He reinforced my dad's teachings about how to cycle the bolt on bolt guns and keeping it on the shoulder.

He realy like my grandfathers 95 Winchester in 30-40 Krag, it was the carbine version and rode well in the 52 Chevy.

He liked my dad's views on peep sights for me, but stressed to leep practicing with straight irons

When we had the chance, him and dad and myself shot jackrabbits , and armidillos{sp}, dad even killed a nice bobcat that weigh about 45lbs.

Thank you sir.

+1 on the "thank you". It's great to learn from those who have "been there".
    "If you can't place your shots on a non-moving piece of paper, how much more difficult will it be when that piece of paper becomes a 3-time felon whose sole purpose is to avoid going back to prison no matter what happens and no matter who gets in the way?"

Taken from a posting by "Deadmeat 2"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links