How many rounds before CC?

This is a discussion on How many rounds before CC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many rounds are really necessary before one can be confident in carrying a handgun? When one buys a popular brand, and shoots 100-250 rounds ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How many rounds before CC?

How many rounds before CC?

How many rounds are really necessary before one can be confident in carrying a handgun? When one buys a popular brand, and shoots 100-250 rounds with no problems, shouldn't that be enough to feel confident carrying said weapon? I sometimes read where folks won't carry without at least having 500 or more rounds down range. Thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

I think mental mindset and level of training are far more important than the number of rounds one has sent downrange, when it comes to making the decision to carry a weapon, whether it is CC or OC.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I think it differs from person to person. I wouldn't carry a new gun until I broke it in (200+ rounds), but I don't have a specific number.

If you are confident the gun will fire when you pull the trigger and you are confident with the platform and its safe handling, then I don't think a specific round count is necessary.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

The 500 or more rounds advice is published by at least one gun manufacturer. I personally think its excessive. In the defense of the 500 round break-in, if you do have a defective part it should break within the first 500 rounds.

VIP Member
    I think there are two possible lines of though to this question, so you should probably clarify which you are referring to.

I think you are asking about the function of the firearm with a particular brand of ammunition.

Another way it could be interpreted is when you feel confident with the firearm in general and obviously that has a whole different set of criteria for an answer.

Assuming you are talking about firearm function with a particular brand, I usually try to shoot at least 100 rounds with my chosen defensive load before I commit to carrying it, and I usually end up closer to 200 rounds...
    Philly Boy likes this.

I certainly interpreted the OP's question differently.

My oops, apparently.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

The only gun manufacturer that I'm aware of that preaches the 500 round break in is Kimber, and that's for their Custom Shop Guns, not for their standard production guns. It's because the guns are so tight coming from the custom shop, that they need to be "shot in" if you will. My gunsmith told me he could work over the custom pistol, and make it run smooth, but then I've defeated the purpose of buying a tight, customs shop pistol. I opted to fire the 500 rds.

Most others, you can shoot a few magazines through them, make sure they all function flawlessly (the magazines primarily), clean them good, and put them in your rotation. I like to clean em, shoot em, clean em, shoot em, clean em, and then carry them, but I've got a serious ammo stash, and like to be double sure. LOL Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I certainly interpreted the OP's question differently.

My oops, apparently.
    Not necessarily, it could easily be my mistake. I think the question could go either way.

Is it a question of confidence in the guns performance?

Or is it a question in your performance with the gun?

I didn't carry either my PPS or my PPQ until I had a few hundred rounds through each of them. Not so much for mechanical failure worries, though it was a minor part, but so that I knew how each gun shot with my chosen carry round. I'll admit dropping the cash for a bunch of 9mm and .40 Speers was a bit of a wincer, but I personally wanted to be confident that I could accurately place shots.

To me knowing the weapon, how it shoots, and getting it and myself dialed in was important before carrying it, and that meant putting a fair number of rounds down range first. Throw in lots of snap-cap drills at home and I am perfectly comfortable carrying them.
    Philly Boy likes this.

CJM
    I like to run 200 rounds through one, with at least 3 magazines of those being JHP's. So roughly 152 FMJ's and 48 JHP's.

NMB
    It has to run through 4 - 50 round boxes consecutively without any failures before I will carry. Plus one box of whatever SD ammo I intend to carry.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I like 300. Only ever had one problem child, a Taurus 85UL. I liked it but, it stopped for the 3rd time (broke) at about, IIRC, 190 rounds.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I would start to carry it right away. It is not going to do you any good sitting at home waiting for range time.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Re: How many rounds before CC?

My first gun I bought for CC I carried right away as I had no other choice. When I purchased my second carry gun, I put about 300 trouble free rounds down range before it was worthy for carrying.

For me it was not the number of rounds before I use the gun for CC. It was how comfortable I was with it. Shooting, reliability, accuracy, drawing etc.. However, I always shoot at least 50 rds of my defensive carry ammo before using it so I can be sure there will be no hiccups due to the ammo.
    AK_Brian likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links