Ghost ring sights on a carry pistol?

This is a discussion on Ghost ring sights on a carry pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here use ghost ring sights on your daily carry weapon? If so, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on practical pros/cons ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ghost ring sights on a carry pistol?

Ghost ring sights on a carry pistol?

Does anyone here use ghost ring sights on your daily carry weapon? If so, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on practical pros/cons based on the experience.

Recently, I have seen my second (third?) pistol with ghost ring sights and was mightily impressed. Of course, they are rare and few gunsmiths that work on the pistols I have seem to have ever worked with them. For shotguns, I can sight-in a target much more quickly with them. Hence, I was wondering about practicality on a pistol. Obvious risk: snagging, given the necessary minimum size.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

I had it on my Hi-point 9mm that I carried for while. I know, I know pot metal blah blah, blows up blah, blah. It's all I had for a while and like many have pointed out, about other firearms it was better than a sharp stick.

Anyway I found that the ghost sight worked pretty well for quick shots. To put rounds near the center of the target. For me aimed shots didn't work as well with the ghost sight. Never had any problems with it snagging.
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; October 13th, 2006 at 09:25 AM.

Lead Moderator
    Never tried it, but it works well for rifles, so I suppose it might not be too bad. How easy is it to aquire a sight picture? Any slower (to you ) than conventional 3 dot?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Doggoneit...What was the name of that Hexagon rear handgun sight that I posted about a while back.

I can't even remember the dadblamed name of it now but, it got great reviews for being an ultra fast target aquisition sight system for low light defensive shooting.

Anybody remember that thread of mine?
    Dumb Moderator I Is - I can't even find it on the forum now.

I Found It It....I'm not a dumb as I look

Here It Is CLICK HERE - These Look Great...
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Never tried it, but it works well for rifles, so I suppose it might not be too bad. How easy is it to aquire a sight picture? Any slower (to you ) than conventional 3 dot?
    Fast pickup, made me focus on the front sight. Center the front sight in the circle and pull the trigger.

VIP Member
    I don't have one on a carry gun, but I do have it on a Ruger Single-Six that I use for rats, squirrels & snakes.

It works very well, quick to acquire.
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    Its a fad...and not a very good one at that...

This notion of ghost rings on pistols comes around every 10 or 15 years or so and it always fades for the same reasons.

First of all, a ghost ring works well on a rifle or a shotgun because the eye automatically looks through the center of the ring and all you have to do is put the front sight on the target. It works because when you mount the gun it is close enough to your eye for your brain to look through it without concious thought. Its quick and accurate.

A handgun is different. When you hold it out at an arms length it takes a concious effort to look through the ring an then you must find the front sight. This alignment doesnt automatically take place like it does when it is close to the eye and its much slower than a shoulder fired gun. As already noted, it isnt near as accurate when trying to place shots on a target.

On a carry gun, if you take the time to align the back and front sight on someone pointing a gun at you, you may be too late. At the distances usually involved in shootings, one should be able to "instinctivley" hit the target and this only comes with alot of practice and alot of rounds fired downrange.

Think about it. If this was a superior concept ALL of the pistols made would have ghost rings installed and they would be used by every serious shooter in the world.

Instead, they get marketed as a great aid in shooting and lots of them get bought by new shooters. After awhile, they get put in the top drawer along with all of the other various gadgets and holsters that seemed like a good idea at the time but for some reason or another just wasnt all it was made out to be.

Dont take my word for it though....play around with the concept and see if its still on your gun in six months or so. A play gun maybe...but
    on a carry gun it is not a good idea.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Arotek sells them

The Arotek company of Washington state sells ghost ring sights for Glock pistols:

Arotek ghost ring sights

They do stick up higher than conventional sights, and are not as precise in aiming as conventional sights, because the ring is much larger than the front sight, so there is some guesswork in alignment. But they are fast to acquire because of the large ring.

I'm a HUGE fan of ghost ring sights! I have them on all of my long guns. I don't hunt with a handgun, but if I did I would probably put ghost rings on it, too. They are tried and true--have been around for a couple of hundred years now.

For a defensive handgun, though? I just don't see it. I think HotGuns has hit the nail on the head. Like I said, they have been around for hundreds of years. If they worked well on defensive handguns, I think they would have caught on by now a lot more than they have.

I like the concept of those triangle type sights, I'd like to try a set someday. Does anybody have that link?

I've got the HexSite version and love them. I believe them to be far superior to the standard circular versions. You should check the website for details. They are very quick/easy to pick up and work great for defense-allow you to focus on the threat with a "heads up" type sight-threat overlay. Excellent manufacture and finish, as well as no snagging.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Doggoneit...What was the name of that Hexagon rear handgun sight that I posted about a while back.

I can't even remember the dadblamed name of it now but, it got great reviews for being an ultra fast target aquisition sight system for low light defensive shooting.

Anybody remember that thread of mine?
    Dumb Moderator I Is - I can't even find it on the forum now.

I Found It It....I'm not a dumb as I look

Here It Is CLICK HERE - These Look Great...

You can find the HexSite at www.goshen-hexsite.com If you want to E-mail me any questions it's chuckp@commspeed.net I have the hex sites on all my guns that I carry. I for one wouldn't use anything other then the Hexsite on my carry guns
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
    John F. Kennedy

I have considered ghost ring sites for my carry gun. However, I have become convinced that www.suresight.com is a better choice.
    Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

Wonderful suggestions and comments, everyone. Thanks! Things to think about.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

ok here it goes. i know that i will make some mad!!!! when you are in a gun fight you will not see your sights. how do i know this???? been there, done that, got the t-shirt. with 29 years as a LEO i have seen/done/etc... it all. i would not worry so much as what type of sight that i have on my gun,,,,, i would go to the range and practice point shooting. yes point shooting, with the range no longer that 10 to 20 feet. when it "hits the fan" you do not have time to get a sight picture,,, you have time to draw the gun, point the gun at the problem, and pull the trigger (two to three times). ghost ring/ night sights/all others are good for paper targets or make you feel good at night that you can find your gun on the night stand,,,,,, but when it "hits the fan" you will not have time to get a sight picture and/or see the sights on your gun,,, you will point and shoot!!!!
    OldVet likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links