Mag Safety or not...on an M&P?

This is a discussion on Mag Safety or not...on an M&P? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My buddy is looking at one. He's not getting a thumb safety, but he's unsure about whether to get a magazine safety. Thoughts?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Mag Safety or not...on an M&P?

Mag Safety or not...on an M&P?

My buddy is looking at one. He's not getting a thumb safety, but he's unsure about whether to get a magazine safety.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I dont like them. Some people do. Its just preference.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Never been a fan of magazine safeties.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Mas Ayoob does have some evidence of cases where officers have saved their life by being able to dump the mag during the middle of a gun grab attempt and grappling over maintaining control of their weapon. That's the theory behind having a "magazine disconnect" on a firearm.

However, a vast number of people (myself included) do not like one on my weapons. I'd much rather be able to have the ability to shoot that round in the chamber if I'm ever rushed while in the middle of a reload (provided I haven't run the gun dry prior to performing a reload).

So, it's completely a personal preference. There are arguments to be made for both cases. Having someone try to disarm you and having a struggle over your gun is a real issue. Especially during a "contact distance" encounter with bad guys.

Also, what are the chances of someone trying to rush you in the middle of a "tactical reload" where you still have a round in the pipe. The high stress stakes of a real gunfight, you're most likely going to be performing any reloads because the slide has locked back on a totally empty gun. Who has time, or wherewithal to count rounds during a real gunfight?

So there you go. Know the issues facing you with each type of mechanism and make your decision accordingly.
    Brad426, oneshot, sensei2 and 1 others like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Not this child. I hate 'em.

If you get an M&P with a mag safety,the slide will not have that nasty warning.
    I am told,you can then remove the mag safety and have a beautiful slide.
    I would never do that.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    If you get an M&P with a mag safety,the slide will not have that nasty warning.
    I am told,you can then remove the mag safety and have a beautiful slide.
    I would never do that.
    You'd never do what?...take the mag safety out or buy one with a mag safety to begin with?

What's the "nasty warning" you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
    You'd never do what?...take the mag safety out or buy one with a mag safety to begin with?

What's the "nasty warning" you speak of?
    That it can fire without the mag in it.

From my CIVILIAN point of view I don't need one and it just adds one more thing that can go screwy.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Makes no difference to me either way. Some of my guns have them, others don't. They all function fine with routine maintenance.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If I had the choice I'd actually rather have it. For resale value though I'd rather it wasn't on there since most people don't want it.

VIP Member
    Its all what you get used to. I am ok with it as long as I know how the weapon works. My preference would be no mag safety

NMB
    Less = simple, simple = reliable, reliable = good.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I had a 9mm W/O.
    Bought a .357sig W/O and thats the way I like them, but it wouldn't have been deal breakers.
    The safety is another matter tho, and most Def. would have been.
    If he can get a good deal on one or the other, tell him, no real big deal either way.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I don't like them,you get the stupid people that get a gun that has one,they pick up their friends gun and since it has no mag in it they screw around point the gun to scare him and pull the trigger,instead of nothing happening they get a bang and their friend is bleeding....you can't fix stupid
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links