Smart Guns

This is a discussion on Smart Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone ever seen one of these? "Smart guns" show promise, but not readily available on U.S. market - chicagotribune.com Seems to me like a lot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Smart Guns

Smart Guns

Anyone ever seen one of these?

"Smart guns" show promise, but not readily available on U.S. market - chicagotribune.com

Seems to me like a lot of hoopla over nothing.
    1. If it can be built it can be bypassed
    2. Signals can be jammed or hacked
    3. My garage door openers don't work half the time why would I want I gun that uses the radio technology.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Wouldn't trust one if my life depended on it. Ever seen an LEO carryinhg one?
    Brad426 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Let the politicians and/or their armed guards carry them.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

dont you think that if he was able to access his moms guns and that she was so open about her guns with him teaching him to shoot and everything that he would have known about her "trigger chip" that was on her "ring or bracelet" and just took it while she was sleeping or beat her until she gave it to him and then took her guns and would have been able to use them? i dont think this would have stopped the kid in the particular situation as he would know about it and gotten it. irrelevant product IMO
    phreddy likes this.

VIP Member
    IT wouldn't have stopped the incident, but I see some merit in the idea. Its not that hard for
    a fast athletic BG to disarm you. At least with these smart guns you don't have to fight to regain
    control.

That said, I think they are not yet well designed. e.g., if you need to be wearing the magic ring, what happens if
    you need to switch the hand that is holding the gun as could easily happen if you are injured or just in a better
    position to use one hand instead of the other.

(Just speculation, I've never seen one._)
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Administrator
    I'd rather just get rid of stupid people and not worry about smart guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I prefer manual windows and locks on my vehicle, because you never know when the power ones will suddenly fail.
    The same logic + some applies to a tool that must be 100% reliable if needed.
    Less is more.
    OldVet likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

If a "smart" gun is anything like my "smart" phone, I'll pass. Apparently Siri doesn't understand the Southern American dialect.
    miller_man, aus71383 and msgt/ret like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

No thanks. It is another attempt to fix something in the wrong way. As Sixto said, it is people, not guns. However that takes responsibility and those making decisions are not real big into that.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Seems to me its like a smart phone but wait there not smart they need a person

i just KNEW that "smart guns" would become an issue after seeing "Skyfall", and 007's new PPK/S smart gun.

this was a movie (NOT REAL). except for the 'ring technology' on an S&W 'K' frame, it is an expensive and unreliable technology. some day yes, but not today or tomorrow.

in the meantime it is just another anti-gun 'red herring' to promote a way to make guns more expensive and restrict their distribution.

Yeah, I won't be buying any of these. Some new technology is good, and some new technology is stupid. This one is a solution in search of a problem.

Why do I feel like I said this recently about some other invention?

Austin

i won't even buy a S&W with the internal lock.

Three guesses as to what I think they can do with their so-called smart guns
    CDW4ME and msgt/ret like this.

Several years ago similar technology saved an LEO's life.I can't remember exactly where or when,but they had designed firearms that the carrier needed to wear a ring that IIRC was magnetic and without the ring on the gun hand the gun would not fire,the LEO wasattacked and over come by physical force when his attacker got control of his gun and tried to shoot him,when the gun failed to fire the thug thought it was broke
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

[QUOTE=dukalmighty;2501981]Several years ago similar technology saved an LEO's life.I can't remember exactly where or when,but they had designed firearms that the carrier needed to wear a ring that IIRC was magnetic and without the ring on the gun hand the gun would not fire,the LEO wasattacked and over come by physical force when his attacker got control of his gun and tried to shoot him,when the gun failed to fire the thug thought it was broke[/QUOTE

this is the 'ring technology' i mentioned in my post (#11). in addition to the user needing to wear a special magnetic ring on a specific finger, modifications had to be made inside the gun to disable the firing mechanism unless the ring was in close proximity to the correct area on the gun. as i remember, this modification was only done on S&W "K" frame DA revolvers. it supposedly worked well and was quite reliable. Mas Ayoob once recommended it as a possible solution for parents with young children around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links