"Melting" a stainless frame?

This is a discussion on "Melting" a stainless frame? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Walther/S&W PPK/S that has very sharp frame edges. Does anyone know of a smith or custom house that can "melt" the edges ...

Thread: "Melting" a stainless frame?

I have a Walther/S&W PPK/S that has very sharp frame edges.

Does anyone know of a smith or custom house that can "melt" the edges for a smoother feel?

I know NAA offers it on their Guardians, but who else can do it?

Dehorning sharp edges for carry

Most gunsmiths will do this work, which is not complicated on a stainless gun. For example, Wilson Combat in Arkansas shows this as an available service on their price list, at a price of $40:

Wilson Combat custom price list in Acrobat format

Yeah, I would be wary of letting a local guy do that, unless you really knew his work and capabilities. Not hard, but can have disasterous results, if not done with some basic care (ie, don't just slap it on the belt grinder! ).

Just got off the phone with Wilson. They don't work on the Walther/S&W in their shop, but Steve Kelley (the guy who does their dehorning work) has his own shop, Ozark Outfitters, and can probably do it on his own time.

Just gotta call and get a price.

Keep the names coming though as I would like to comparision shop a little.

Try Clark custom guns, he's in La. and does great work. I had him do a custom job on a colt and it is great. Just google him, I don't have his web site of hand
    A gun is a useful tool for making holes at a distance

"People cannot be effectually oppressed and enslaved, who are not FIRST DISARMED" Texas Supreme Court 1859 (Cockrum vs State)

The "P" Principal
    Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

Assistant Administrator
    With a fine stone, plenty of 600 grit and finer - it is IMO perfectly feasable to do for oneself.

It takes time - lots of time and of course metal removed cannot be put back!

Thing is - even the smallest of smoothings on some seemingly sharp corners can have excellent benefits - hard to even see much has been done. Not for the faint hearted perhaps but - neither is it impossible.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well I have considered doing it myself, and I think I would be fine on all the areas except the "beaver tail" area. This is really the critical spot anyway, but the entire gun could used serious dehorning. I don't know what was being thought of during design, but ergonomics sure as hell wasn't it.

Chris is right, you can do it youself, with lots of time and paitents. The slide and frame are heat treated, so it's going to take some time to acomplish your mission. Plus you'll get it done, the way YOU want it. it doesn't take much to de-horn the gun, and break the edges so that it comes out of the holster in a smooth manner. Too much dehorning will make the gun look bad. I'd say to break the edges with no more than a .030 dia radius, as it's a small frame/slide gun..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Lew
    I agree with Chris. You can do this your self, if you have patience. If you can take your time, it is simple enough to do. If you initally lack confidence, try rounding an edge on a non gun, like cheap silverware, or a elcheapo knife blade. Nothing like a practice run to build confidence. Plus you get to refine your technique before it gets expensive.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Factory melt jobs

Speaking of "melting" the sharp edges on a gun reminded me that some gun manufacturers are now offering new guns from the factory with a "meltdown" treatment. The Kimber CDP 1911 guns may have been the first of this type, and now Sig is offering this in their "SAS" guns, like this P229 SAS shown below:

I think this is a great idea in a carry gun. I have a Kimber CDP Pro that is as smooth as a used bar of soap and just glides into the holster.

Lead Moderator
    Melt jobs are nice.............maybe some day I will do my 1911.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    With a fine stone, plenty of 600 grit and finer - it is IMO perfectly feasable to do for oneself.

It takes time - lots of time and of course metal removed cannot be put back!

Thing is - even the smallest of smoothings on some seemingly sharp corners can have excellent benefits - hard to even see much has been done. Not for the faint hearted perhaps but - neither is it impossible.
    P95 is correct. It is a very simple job to do. I used 400 grit tape on a stainless NRM 1991 and Ruger SP-101 to take off the sharp edges and a Dremel and 400 grit tape for an extreme carry melt job on a Kel-Tec P-11. The great thing about stainless is you don't need to refinish it after you're done.

Sponsored Links