Walter PPS - FTE

Walter PPS - FTE

This is a discussion on Walter PPS - FTE within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has one had this problem? I just picked up a used one a few weeks ago and shot it this past weekend. It seemed to ...

Thread: Walter PPS - FTE

Walter PPS - FTE

Has one had this problem? I just picked up a used one a few weeks ago and shot it this past weekend. It seemed to happen more with the 8 round mag than the 7 rounder. I've heard sooooo many good things about this gun and how close to no one had any problems with it so it really surprised me that it was happening. I really want to blame it on how I was loading the magazines but wanted to know if anyone else has had or been having this problem.

Any questions, comments, concerns or advice welcome.

-Chop

It happens on the last round of my .40 S&W, but only when I use Winchester White Box (Walmart). Have you tired different ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Dvorak View Post
    It happens on the last round of my .40 S&W, but only when I use Winchester White Box (Walmart). Have you tired different ammo?
    When I got the PPS theyseller gave me half a box of federal 115g target ammo. I don't remember FTE happening with that but then I started using the wolf ammo which is the same grain but probably a bit cheaper. So I guess it could have been the cheaper ammo. I was thinking it could have been my grip also since I'm not used to shooting it yet.

Haven't had it happen personally, but I'd suspect ammo or magazine first. Maybe grab a couple boxes of various types and try again?

You said the magic words: "WOLF AMMO". I've had so much trouble with their primers, and I've read of so many feeding problems with their ammo, not to mention that the steel cases are very hard on ejectors and extractors. I wouldn't use it.

You bought a $600 gun, spend a little more on ammo!

Re: Walter PPS - FTE

Eject or extract. Which one?

I have had no problems with mine but there were several issues reported with the early versions. Here's a discussion on this forum with a link to the Walther forum that tells you how to check your slide stop.

Buying a Walther PPS 9mm tomorrow - Help - 2010 BA or 2011 BB ?.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Lead Moderator
    No problem with my 9mm, never shot wolf ammo through it though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

It could be a combination of the steel cased Wolf, in the PPS stepped chamber. There’s a couple forum threads floating around that that was the reason the stepped chamber was eliminated from the P-08 design, it had issues with the wartime steel cased ammo.

G. Luger patented the "offset obturation"or 0.1mm chamber step in 1910, to ensure the chamber sealed gasses when firing the tapered case 9mm( like the bottle necked 7.65mm cartridge accomplished). The stepped chamber was eliminated in the P.08 by the army in late 1941 and early 1942 because of extraction problems when firing the new steel cased cartridges.
    Here’s one thread that discusses it:

The Story Behind the Stepped 9mm Luger Chamber?

There's also a thread on the Walther Forums that talks about issues with steel cased ammo:

walther pps issues - WaltherForums

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

No problems here! Is yours a 9mm or .40 cal? I have heard of people having problems with the .40 cal, but my 9mm has been flawless out of the box. I've used several brands of ammo including steel case Tula. Mine is a BB(2011) date code. Fine, quality firearm!

I am over 1000 rounds and never had a problem. It is PPS 40. I would change the ammo and see if it helps? Good luck and dont give up on it" you will love it"

jyo
    I've had a PPS in 9mm for a couple of years now---no operating issues, but I don't use steel case ammo---all Fed, Win, S&B, etc brass case ammo runs 100%---even Blazer alum. case runs just fine---try that first before anything else.

Ex Member Array ShrinkWhoCan'tThink's Avatar

Walter PPS - FTE

I have a Walther PPS and I have occasionally had FTF problems with cheap ammo. Sometimes guns are very finicky and prefer one or a few brands of ammo. Once you find what GOOD quality ammo your Walther likes, keep it! Don't forget to shoot a few rounds of defense ammo as well. Good quality defense ammo should do fine, but better to learn of any problems in the range.

LesbianShrink a conservative libretarian, psychiatrist, and wife to the most amazing woman.
    “We do not see the world as it is. We see the world as we are.” This quote has been attributed to both the
    Talmud and Anaïs Nin (although an actual citation for neither quote can be found).
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have over 4,000 rounds through my PPS 9 without any difficulties at all, sort of. By that I mean that just around 4,000 rounds I started to have failures. I pretty much knew what the problem was. It was time to replace the recoil spring and guide rod. I did so (free of charge from Walther/S&W) and the gun has fired flawlessly ever since. I consider this a normal wear item. As you bought it used, there is a a possibility that maybe it has a great deal of rounds through it and may also need a new spring. Or not. I have fired all sorts of different ammo, except no Wolf.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I don't have a Walther but I did have a failure to go into battery with the Wolf ammo.

Links