Differences in Smith J frames

This is a discussion on Differences in Smith J frames within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ksholder I would be more concerned that the shrouded hammer would get lint buildup over time than hang up a draw. Not ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Differences in Smith J frames

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I would be more concerned that the shrouded hammer would get lint buildup over time than hang up a draw. Not sure if this could gum up the works or not. I went with the 640 & 642, both fully enclosed hammers.

i read of a case where someone who carried a Bodyguard-type J-frame SUPPOSEDLY let it go so long without cleaning it (or even looking at it, i would guess), that so much lint accumulated BEHIND the hammer that the hammer couldn't go back far enough to fire the gun.

don't really know if this is a true story or not.

the main advantage of the 'Centennial' style J-frame (442/642 style), would come AFTER a SD shooting, because such a gun cannot be accused of having a 'hair-trigger', which 'went off by mistake'.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    The 642 can still be had without that lock, that's a big factor when I was looking at getting small revolver.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

The 642 is my favorite for pocket carry, no snag and no lint in the action. I have a 638 I also carry frequently. It is handy because you can cock it if you need to for longer shots, although they are both defensive weapons and should never be cocked anyway. Go with the 642.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    The 642 can still be had without that lock, that's a big factor when I was looking at getting small revolver.
    This would be important to me as well. I've owned a 642 and 49 without lock and currently own a 442 with lock. I liked my 49 how I had it set up the best out of all three; Barami Hip Grips and Tyler T Grip just felt really good and if I needed to tuck it into my waistband quick and dash into a quick stop the Hip Grip was king. I liked the shrouded hammer, but wouldn't if I wasn't keen on maintenance. The 642/442 is pretty quick out of the pocket if that mode of carry is what you will be doing. My current 442 wears Eagle's Secret Service checkered grips. Don't stick to clothing like the rubber ones.

Distinguished Member

Re: Differences in Smith J frames

I'm leaning towards the Smith 442. How does the black finish on it hold up vs the stainless?

Sent using my phone.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

When it's all said and done, everyone should own a J Frame. It's the quintessential pocket carry gun. Of the J Frames, the 442/642 is optimized in terms of weight, shootability, and "drawability".
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Thanks everyone for your experience! I have made my decision between a LCR and a 642.............. 642 it will be.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Distinguished Member
    I'm leaning towards a 442, I want a black gun.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Administrator
    A bit of routine maintenance with a Q-Tip is typically all that is required with a the shrouded hammer. Not really a problem for most folks here since we do routine of our firearms anyway.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member

Re: Differences in Smith J frames

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    A bit of routine maintenance with a Q-Tip is typically all that is required with a the shrouded hammer. Not really a problem for most folks here since we do routine of our firearms anyway.
    True.

Sent using my phone.

NRA Member

Administrator
    Also just a related FYI - if you intend to have a custom tuned trigger AKA a DA trigger job ~ a more buttery smooth trigger pull can be had with a DAO firearm over a DA/SA.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    They make a small bantam grip just as small as the j frame grip.
    Been reading on them again. I was under the impression they were of the same 'sticky' soft rubber as the Tamer grip. I never see one with the boot grip in stores to try it on my hand.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I bought a used 442 (hammerless) 10 years ago when I first got my CCW. Been carrying it pretty regularly in an Alessi IWB since. No more wear than when I got it, really. I find the trigger pretty good and if you know where she's going to break, 50 feet is pretty manageable in a gun I wouldn't draw unless the BG was practically on top of me. I couldn't stand the look of the humpback and this was a good compromise. I bought an older Model 37 airweight a few years ago with the hammer. Though I love the SA, it's actually more difficult to shoot. I like tthe Model 37 in the ankle all day. The Alessi ankle holster needs a hammer for the thumb break and the airweight lets you forget it's down there.
    But that was then and now I have a Glock 27. The LCP is my back up and the revolvers are in the safe:(...

Jim. just my $.02 I love my revolvers and after NYS's governor gets through, they may be all I have. (DO NOT HIJACK THIS THREAD INTO A POLITICAL DISCUSSION)

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    442 with an Apex spring kit. A little polishing on the internals, and in 20-30 minutes you have a pretty nice DA BUG. All it takes is a flat screwdriver, a paper clip, a stone, and a few drops of oil.

I don't need a lighter gun. The grip is unobtrusive, yet I can still shoot it. Recoil is manageable for follow up shots (you only have 4 more, and they're all DA). Recoil during range shooting is comfortable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links