Differences in Smith J frames

This is a discussion on Differences in Smith J frames within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at getting a second J frame as a "New York Reload" for this summer. I currently have a 638 which I really like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences in Smith J frames

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Differences in Smith J frames

I'm looking at getting a second J frame as a "New York Reload" for this summer. I currently have a 638 which I really like to shoot and it is easy to carry. I also have a Ruger LCR which I don't find nearly as easy to carry due to the larger rubber grip. I'm looking to get rid of the LCR and get another J frame, I'm just not sure which one. What are the pros of having a true DAO with a shrouded hammer like the 442 vs the bobbed hammer of the 638?

2. Remove Ads

I've got a 442, 49, and 649. Not much difference. I guess the hammer being completely enshrined inside the frame reduces the outside chance of the hammer getting caught on something...although with the design of the 638/49/649 I see that being a million to one chance to begin with.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    I know enough to know the numbers and letters get complicated quick.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've got a 442, 49, and 649. Not much difference. I guess the hammer being completely enshrined inside the frame reduces the outside chance of the hammer getting caught on something...although with the design of the 638/49/649 I see that being a million to one chance to begin with.
    I would be more concerned that the shrouded hammer would get lint buildup over time than hang up a draw. Not sure if this could gum up the works or not. I went with the 640 & 642, both fully enclosed hammers.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Wow, I'd think twice about replacing the LCR, I went the other way S&W 642 for the LCR .38 Sp.
    Two reasons, large hands and recoil of the 642. The LCR addressed both problems. If you haven't
    decided already take a pass on the shrouded hammer.

Is there a Buy & Sell section ? I wouldn't mind having a second one.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post
    Wow, I'd think twice about replacing the LCR, I went the other way S&W 642 for the LCR .38 Sp.
    Two reasons, large hands and recoil of the 642. The LCR addressed both problems. If you haven't
    decided already take a pass on the shrouded hammer.

Is there a Buy & Sell section ? I wouldn't mind having a second one.

I like the Smiths better. I can conceal it better at least the ways I want to conceal it, and I feel less recoil with the J frame then I do the LCR. I think the LCR is a great little revolver, but I think I like the Smith J frames better.

VIP Member
    The 642 draws smoothing and is nearly impossible to bind. I've handle the 638 (which is call the "humpback"), and it was not for me (really, it was cosmetic, I don't like the look of them). While the ability to shoot SA is nice, I realized that I would likely never have that option if I had to use my revolver to defend myself. And because my airweight j-frame is often in a pocket holster instead of an OWB/IWB holster, I thought it best to get one that I would not have to disassemble every year to do a lint check.

I don't think you would go wrong with the shrouded hammer; but I would not get a 637 (exposed hammer) for pocket carry...so, bottom line, if it's between the 638 and 442/642, which do you like best? Only with the 638 I'd take the side plate off every year or so to make sure it's not "linted up" but that's not a big deal.

You should try the lcr boot grips first. They are much smaller. 642, 442, or 638 is just personal preference.

I carry two different j frames in pocket holsters, a 36 and a 60. Both have the traditional hammers in tact. I cant pull a gun from my pocket with my thumb wrapped around the grip. I always automatically pull the gun with my thumb riding along the back of the gun, up over the hammer, to make for a smooth, (fat hand snag free), retrieval from the pocket. This effectively simulates a "hammer-less" j frame for me and is easier to remove than if my thumb was wrapped around the grip of a true hammer-less model.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

I like the completely internalized hammer on the 442/642 for pocket carry. Nothing to snag on the draw, and nothing to collect lint.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    The LCR would be great IF someone would make a "J-frame" type grip for it. I can't figure out noone does. Is till pocket carry it in certain pants with large pockets but it could be a little easier.

Any of the S&W's will do, there's not that much maintenance required. I have no problem drawer a hammered J-frame.
    Last edited by Brady; December 22nd, 2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: totally forget the smiths
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    The LCR would be great IF someone would make a "J-frame" type grip for it. I can't figure out noone does. Is till pocket carry it in certain pants with large pockets but it could be a little easier.

Any of the S&W's will do, there's not that much maintenance required. I have no problem drawer a hammered J-frame.
    They make a small bantam grip just as small as the j frame grip.

I have the Smith 642, 442 with CT laster grips, and an old Smith model 36 with exposed hammer. I like all three, but wont carry the exposed hammer in a pocket, will only carry it OWB holster. I will also carry it for ankle carry, but the 642/442 you can carry wherever you want. In any true defensive scenario, i dont think you will have the time to cok the hammer and shoot SA, i think it will be a aim and pull the trigger. Try Esmeralda wood grips, i have them for my J frames, and love the feel of the wood grips. For nightime carry, i use the CT grips. bunker
    Attached Images
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

The hammer version can be pocket carried, but the draw technique must be altered to keep the hammer from snagging.

Go 642 or stay at home!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I have all 3 J frame hammer types.
    442 DAO , chiefs special full hammer , and model 49 - shrouded.

As was mentioned the covered hammer DAOs keep dirt and fuzz off your guns internals.

Small downside is you lose the SA capability - so learning trigger control is esential.

I do carry all three types though.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links