S&W M&P Failure to Fire

S&W M&P Failure to Fire

This is a discussion on S&W M&P Failure to Fire within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was shooting an IDPA match with my full size M&P .40 with Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel. Have been using this set-up for about a ...

Thread: S&W M&P Failure to Fire

S&W M&P Failure to Fire

Was shooting an IDPA match with my full size M&P .40 with Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel. Have been using this set-up for about a year and only malfunctions were two failures to eject when shooting very fast. Had 4 failure to fires during match out of approximatley 100 rounds. Pistol would fiire 1st round and then FTF would occur. Tap and rack would eject round and chamber next round without a problem.

Have been using same ammunition - Speer Lawman 124 gr. - for quite awhile with no issues. Using 9mm magazines. The only difference was I was using two newly purchased magazines in addition the 3 already owned. The 3 I previously owned have the carriers filed down. The two new magazines do not. When malfunctions occured I didn't think to identify which magazines were inserted. I plan on filing down both carriers.

I'm trying to figure-out what may have caused the problem. I'm thinking it may be the magazines, light primer strikes or a bad box of ammo. If it's the new magazines, is it possible for them to be inserted properly, which alowed 1st round to chamber, and then un-seat? Or, chamber 1st round and not the second? Has anyone had a similar issue?

Appreciate any advice from folks. Sucks getting malfunctions in middle of match. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the adjustments to the magazines needed to make the conversion, but if you first ran these mags in the match I'd bet your suspicion is right. If the FTF were light strikes...which I think is what you are saying, as opposed to a dead trigger issue. Might be time to pull your striker out and clean it and the channel if you haven't done that lately.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Sponsored Links