New guy

This is a discussion on New guy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FNG here. Just wanted to say hello to all and ask a question if I could. First off I'll start by saying I have not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New guy

New guy

FNG here. Just wanted to say hello to all and ask a question if I could. First off I'll start by saying I have not had a lot of experience around guns but have never been against them. With all the talk about banning guns and the crazy violence as of late I have finally decided to pull the trigger on getting something to protect my family. It had been a thought off and on for the few years but I have now decided to go ahead. I am applying for my ccw and would like to start with purchasing a 9mm. Is there any certain brands or models I should stay away from? I am looking to spend around 300 initially. I appreciate any insight you fellas have for me.

2. Remove Ads

There is a sticky thread about choosing a handgun you should read. I will be the first (but not the last, I bet) to say I would rather save a little and get a used Glock, M&P, or Sig than have a lesser-quality gun.

Oh, and welcome aboard.
    rugergunner likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

I personally like M&P or Glock compacts like the M&P9C or Glock 19 although I'm a fan of .40 cal & their counterparts in .40 are M&P40C & Glock 23. They're all above $300, though. They might be found cheaper used. For instance - my M&P40C sells for $455 with the police/military discount equipped with night sights & 3 magazines. They're small but not miniature & still conceal well. Glock also makes some sub-compacts in most calibers but I'm not too familiar with them. I can't recommend anything that sells for $300 Although I'm sure there are some out there.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Got a couple of days??? Start flipping through pages. Welcome!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

New guy

Any opinions on a s&w sw9ve? A friend of mine recommended it. He says its very similar to a glock and much cheaper. He used to have a glock 27 .40 cal. that I liked really well.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As to a gun. Look at the Bersa line. Well made guns, that fall with in your price range. Or I should say they did, with the gun market as it is since the announcement of going for another gun ban, even Hi-Points may top the $500. level.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Greetings and welcome from the Space Coast of Central Florida.

As for choosing a gun...go to your local range and rent a few. You can decide which are most comfortable and accurate for you.

Read this thread Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range...

Personally, I think your budget is unrealistic for your expectations especially if you intend to put ammo in your gun.

Is there any certain brands or models I should stay away from? I am looking to spend around 300 initially

My answer to your question is Yes. I think you should stay away from all 9mm guns that are $300 or less.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Even a used Glock police trade-in will be around $400.

Then there is the SIGMA or Rugers.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

STAY AWAY FROM HI-POINTS..you asked and I shared my opinion. Welcome..there is a-lot of good reading on here. As far as a 1st gun..take into consideration your environment..ie Kids, comfort level handling guns etc. 1st step I would suggest is to decide if "safety or not safety" on the gun. I agree with the guys above...save some extra money. 500-600 can score you something nice and reliable.. My Dad has always said..."Good Work Ain't Cheap..and Cheap Work Ain't Good" take that same approach when looking for protection for you and your family..
    Philly Boy likes this.

I agree with the poster above me, my best friend just bought a hi-point and it's a complete pile.. he's looking to sell it off asap.

In general you want a good reliable gun to defend your family? You can't go wrong with the M&P9c, XDM 9 Compact, or a Glock 9mm (I don't know the models as I can't stand the grips on glocks) I also need to throw the Ruger SR9c in there, it is my brothers EDC(Every Day Carry) and it is a reliable accurate little gun.

If price is an issue, you can pick up a .357 revolver for fairly cheap,

Ruger LC9 is not a bad compact 9mm 7+1

New guy

I have a Walther PPS 9mm and I would be very happy with that as my first 9. It is, however, more than $300. I agree you should raise your price threshold. If you want to protect your family, don't look to save a few bucks. You don't have to spend $1000 but you should expect to spend around $400 - $500 for quality.
    Philly Boy likes this.

New guy

Hum... Under 300 the best deal is probably a used revolver... I bought a police surplus S&W model 10 38 special for around $220. Very reliable piece with the right ammo. Six rounds for sure!

Best deal in my mind is a used Glock for around $400. Check gunbroker... See whats available.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    For 300 dollars you will be hard pressed to get into one of the "upscale" pistols, unless your lucky enough to find a gently used one. If you could up that amount to around 400, you will be better off. Just my thoughts.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links