s&w bodyguard?

This is a discussion on s&w bodyguard? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't seen too many mentions on here about the bodyguard by s&w. Just wondering how many of u have one & what u think ...

Thread: s&w bodyguard?

s&w bodyguard?

I haven't seen too many mentions on here about the bodyguard by s&w. Just wondering how many of u have one & what u think of them. Either the .38sp or the .380 I have the .380 & I think its a great carry gun. Got it at good price too. $350

2. Remove Ads

I have the .380 and like it, all but the laser buttons. I have not gotten with S&W for their fix yet. I carry it only when it is as a back-up or when I'm not able to carry my M&P 40 FS. I like the trigger pull and the way it shoots. I think if the timing was different, I would have gotten the Shield.
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (183.5 KB, 33 views)
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

I have one and like it. It is light, has a better trigger than the LCP or P3AT, and has a safety...
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I have the BG .38 revolver. I bought it mainly to use as a mold for holsters. I carry a S/W mod 36 Chief's Special. I would consider carrying the BG 38. I think it is a good pistol. I like the cylinder release on top. I think for new shooters the cylinder release is a good way to go since it is obviously good for right or left handed shooting. It did take me a little time to figure how to shoot it. laser was dead on but open sights shot high. I have made quite a few holsters for the BG 38. I think it is fairly popular.
    NRA Life Member

Not to be a wet blanket but I have owned and sold two. I took a 40% hit just to dump them after they came back from warranty about the 2-3rd time. Both guns made 6 months apart had the exact same issues and more than once. Smith also does not tell you what they did to repair them and very dodgy about talking to you. They know the issues but remain quiet. The design of the trigger safety internally is such that it hits the top of the slotted firing pin when it moves forward. That along with the MIM molded powder injected firing pin causes them to break the pin with as little as 100 dry fires and I imagine with enough actual live fire these pins will break and cause random light strikes. The laser is always part of the gun, you can remove the guts but you're stuck with it, and it's the cheapest crappiest gun laser and buttons ever devised. The trigger is long and plastic spongey but honestly after break-in and practice you can overcome that lack of pleasure and this gun can fire wonderfully, hits very accurate, even surprisingly so. Would I trust my life to this gun, HELL no. I replaced it with a Sig P238 Equinox and my wife has been carrying it daily for over a year. 1000-1500 rounds of all brands and I can only remember a stove pipe one time caused by me limp wristing it. What an amazing difference. Now I carry the Sig P938 for those reasons. I think the new shield is a much better option. I think the Bersa or Kahrs for that matter are a better choice. And S&W clearly bold face lied about my problems through the whole set of warranty ordeals I suffered through. Summary, Laser is crap, firing pin is crap, trigger safety internal design is faulty, it loves to get light strikes, shoots like a dream when it actually works. Sorry to be so harsh but people's lives depend on this tool. Think about the new generation of pocket nines instead. Sigs are expensive but a year later the price seems well worth it. I would step back and look at all options and steer clear of the BG380, nice try S&W (buzzer sound)

Unlike the LCP and LCR by Ruger which it seems gets a lot of attention, I really don't hear anything about either Bodyguard versions. Whether that is a good thing or bad thing, I do not know.

The Bodygaurd was my first small size gun purchase. I really liked shooting it but the activation button for the targeting light kept falling out. I sold it after about 6 months and got a Kahr PM9. S&W might have fixed the problem with the button. I would ask them before buying one.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

I have the 380 bodyguard and love it. Pocket carry with a cut down nemesis holster, and loaded with buffalo bore +P ammo, with spare magazine in lt rear pocket. It is used as a back up gun (BUG) to either my Smith J frames 38 special 642/442, or in the winter time, my Charter Arms Bulldog 44special. I think it is a great gun, and for the price and size, i think it is perfect. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I had one for about a week. I like the size and the feel of the gun. I didn't care for the trigger or the way the laser worked. For me it wasn't very accurate. I traded it in on Sig P238 and couldn't be happier.

The 'button on the side' lasers require another rather awkard movement to turn on the laser. I'm sure with enough practice the time can be brought down. I bought the Crimson Trace laser for the P238 and it has the on switch just below the trigger guard and automatically comes on as I grip the gun. This laser costs about the same as the Sig laser for the P238 and in my opinion (after trying both) is a better solution. I really don't have much to say about the op's question other than I looked at the SW BG 380 and the Ruger LC 380 and bought the Sig P238 380. It weighs a couple ounces more but I am happy with it at 16 ounces after about 800 rounds.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

I thought about buying one for the wife but neither one of us could get the laser to turn on without messing with it. Passed on it and I too bought a Sig P238 w/the Sig laser. She can take the safety off and turn the laser on easily in one fluid motion. Much better than the BG.

I have a Bodyguard 38 and so does my wife While I have many to choose from the .38 is a nice small CC when needed.I have no doubt it will do the job.

Links