Range report: Smith & Wesson M&P9c + Aguila FMJ + Speer Gold Dot JHP

This is a discussion on Range report: Smith & Wesson M&P9c + Aguila FMJ + Speer Gold Dot JHP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I took ownership of a brand new Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Compact that was born August 2012. After a nice post-factory clean, I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hogdaddy

Thread: Range report: Smith & Wesson M&P9c + Aguila FMJ + Speer Gold Dot JHP

Yesterday I took ownership of a brand new Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Compact that was born August 2012. After a nice post-factory clean, I headed to the local range with 200 rounds of Aguila 115-grain full-metal jacket, and 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124-grain jacketed hollow point. I shot all rounds from seven yards away using S&W 12-round magazines.

As you can tell by the image, I'm tightening my fingers and slapping/jerking the trigger nearly every time. It's something I plan on correcting. But, overall, I'm pleased with the results. I find this gun to be very comfortable, and it's main reason I chose it over a Glock 19 Gen 4. I shoot both equally, but ergonomics won out.

I shot the Aguila first, and had a total of 23 failures to feed, and three failures to eject. I ended the range time with the Speer and had no issues. None of the FTFs or FTEs were isolated to any specific magazine, as I was using six mags and they all had FTFs and FTEs. Also, the FTFs occurred throughout my entire range time, not just at the beginning, middle or end. Each instance of FTE seemed to have been caused by dirty bullet cases.

Thoughts: The reason 10 percent of the rounds of Aguila I shot had issues is due to me riding the slide (which I definitely was doing), and I am limp wristing it. However, I can't help but think it's also due to the Aguila and my gun not getting along, since I shot the Speer without issue. I've read about M&Ps have trouble with Aguila ammo, but I have a case of the stuff to shoot.

So, more range time and more practice will make perfect. Due to the recent political climate, I'm hesitant to run through the remainder of my Speer for comparison's sake, so I'll buy some other 115-grain FMJ to test side-by-side with the Aguila.

I'm aiming to make this my everyday carry pistol. I'm not concerned yet with the issues I had, because I think it's mostly operator error.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and any pointers/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Both my M&Ps shoot the Aguila just fine. Hell, they shoot Monarch steel case and Tula just fine. Work on your grip...

Thanks for the response, jeffhughes.

I went back to the range today, this time with 100 rounds of American Eagle and not a problem. My accuracy didn't improve, but there weren't any FTFs or FTEs. If I could have tested 200 rounds I would have, but ammo shortage and all.

Great gun,, Good shooting..Break bad habits early JMO ; )

Y/D
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

You shot well Skata! Shooting 50 rounds of Gold Dots at a target is ammo abuse!..... Just kidding, it is good to also practice with your SD ammo and Gold Dots are the best!!
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Great gun,, Good shooting..Break bad habits early JMO ; )

Y/D
    Working on it! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
    You shot well Skata! Shooting 50 rounds of Gold Dots at a target is ammo abuse!..... Just kidding, it is good to also practice with your SD ammo and Gold Dots are the best!!
    Yeah, it was rough going through the entire box but I always go through at least one box of SD ammo with any new gun I buy. And, like you, I prefer Gold Dots. Many thanks!

Dry Firing is your friend,pick a room and remove all ammo from the room,then pick a spot on the wall and "cock" the slide then line up the sights and squeeze the trigger,continue the practice until you can keep the sights on target without moving
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sometimes it's also handy to borrow or rent another pistol that has more felt recoil or muzzle flip and practice with it for a bit. When you switch back to the M&P, it will feel softer & easier to shoot, and the extra punishment will help firm up your grip a bit.

It took me a little while to get used to mine. But after several hundred rounds I like my 9c more. The only problem I had was with a few reloads and some light primer strikes on cheap russian ammo. With hard primers. With practice and the right ammo yours should smooth out and get better. Good luck and enjoy your new pistol.

VIP Member
    Prior to selling my 9c to my daughters BF just this summer, it shot several hundred rounds from Brown Bear, Rem. Gr & white, WWbox and everything under the rainbow and never coughed.
    It was bought in 2009.

Glad you like it,they are absolutely terrific pistols.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Congrats on the new pistol! It is a sweet little gun. I have only shot a full size M&P but I imagine the compact is pretty similar.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sponsored Links