Defensive Carry banner

Glock vs XD40

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Nebraska12 
#1 ·
new here trying to decide on a handgun for conceal carry already have multiple guns ( long guns ) and one 44 mag black hawk..now lets be honest my black hawk is a little big to conceal haha..so im debating on these two guns the glock 23 or the xd40..i have held oth guns and both feel great..ive shot a glock and i shot it good..i have not shot the xd. im use to taking a glock apart but id like to see how you guy stack the xd up to the glock!

#2 ·
new here trying to decide on a handgun for conceal carry already have multiple guns ( long guns ) and one 44 mag black hawk..now lets be honest my black hack is a little big to conceal haha..so im debating on these two guns the glock 23 or the xd40..i have held oth guns and both feel great..ive shot a glock and i shot it good..i have not shot the xd. im use to taking a glock apart but id like to see how you guy stack the xd up to the glock!

Honestly? I'd take the XD40(or XDM even better) any day of the week over a glock.

#4 ·
It's a refinement over the XD, They were released a couple of years ago, some minor improvements like ergonomics and such.

Glocks are fine reliable guns, but they are among the most uncomfortable guns i've ever held (only surpassed by HK)

But the XDM is every bit as reliable, and since their release have won award after award.

Also you should take a look at the M&P40c Smith and Wesson's Polymer Semi Auto, i'd take that over the XDM even.

#5 ·
I own both an XD Service .40 and GLOCK Gen. 4 23. I prefer the G23 after swapping out the stock sights for 10-8 Performance U notch rear and brass bead front. The XD came with Trijicon NS. The G23 is slightly more compact, lighter, has a more crisp trigger and conceals better. Neither stands out above the other accuracy/shoot ability wise; both are fine for combat distances. The biggest benefit to the GLOCK line is accessories are so readily available.

The XD has turned into a bedside HD gun and wears a Streamlight TLR3. The G23 is carried most days in a Dale Fricke Archangel AIWB. Go with whichever you shoot better, but if you choose the XD switch out the roll pin for one of the more durable aftermarket types just to be safe. There is enough reported issues of breakage to cause concern; sometimes it will tie the gun up, other times you can still run the weapon with the pin snapped in half. Better to replace it and alleviate any chance of catastrophic failure.

#6 ·
Ford or Chevy; apples or oranges; vanilla or chocolate; cheddar or gouda; analog or digital.

get the idea yet....

either one will be just fine. pick the one you want, for whatever reasons you want.

whatever one you choose, some will agree, some will disagree, and others like me will yawn.

#18 ·
Ford or Chevy; apples or oranges; vanilla or chocolate; cheddar or gouda; analog or digital.

get the idea yet....

either one will be just fine. pick the one you want, for whatever reasons you want.

whatever one you choose, some will agree, some will disagree, and others like me will yawn.
Yes, and you will eventually end up buying a Glock.

#7 ·
They are both fine guns, and at the end of the day you would probably be happy with either.

I have a Glock 23 as my EDC, and I have used it for competitions before I got my 35. There are some great reviews of both guns on youtube,

Glock 23 (The Rundown) - YouTube

I have shot both, and the Shield, and a KAHR P40

For me personally, I liked the Glock. I also like the wide availability of accessories, and holsters.

My feeling is that the Glock 23 is one of the best compromises of size, reliability, and accuracy.

rg

#8 · (Edited)
I've carried a full sized XD40 for years in a MTAC Minotaur IWB holster and really like it. The reason I went with it over a Glock years ago were two-fold. First, it just felt better in my hand (purely subjective). Second, I like the added security of the grip safety. I had a friend whose Glock discharged when the trigger snagged when holstering the pistol. Luckily, it only hurt his ego and his carpet, and was entirely his fault from being complacent. With the XD's grip safety, I start the pistol into the holster, then push it the rest of the way with my thumb on the back of the slide. Without the grip safety depressed, it can't fire. Personal preference.

Both the Glock and XD are rock solid, so the choice is entirely up to you. You really can't go wrong either way.

Cheers!

#9 ·
I have an XD40 service and love it: reliable and accurate as they come. However, I'm also considering the addition of a G21 to the stable for many of the reasons stated here: again, reliable and as accurate as they come. I think everyone should have one of each!:D

Additionally, if your looking at one to CC, you may want to consider the XD40sc.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

#10 ·
for concealed carry, the Glock 23 is a much better option. Here are my thoughts on XD's.....I own several.

1. The grip is too long for cc, and prints like crazy. I carry an XD 9SC duotone on occasion as well as the XD 45C with the abbreviated grip.....weighs a ton.
2. Loaded, the XD Service Model weighs a lot more than the G23.....a lot more.
3. Try finding anyone other than a pistol smith that can install night sights on your XD while you wait. (All my Glocks have night sights that took my local Gun Store 15 minutes to install) They won't work on an XD
4. Bore axis on the XD is higher than the Glocks, and I notice considerable muzzle flip when shooting them....not so on the Glocks.
5. Mellonite finish on the XDs is IMO a joke. I have scratches down to the bare metal on almost every one I have....my 8 year old carry Glock looks like the day I brought it home.
6. I find accuracy with all my XD's to be rather mediocre....except for my XD 9SC which for some reason shoots better than my full size XD's.
7. If you really need the grip safety on the XD's, try re-thinking your gun handling methodolgy. There is no reason for the added part that may choke down the road.
8. If you have to have an XD for carry....go with one of the subcompacts. They are built like small tanks with the weight to go with it, but are very nice shooters. I shoot mine better than my full size.

#11 ·
I use my XD 40 tactical for competition and Glock 23 for EDC. Both are great but advantage goes to Glock with a crisper trigger. I did put in a Springer trigger on the XD for short reset and smother action. The Glock pinches my finger below the trigger guard.

#14 ·
Recently got myself an XD9SC and the LGS guy said he sold about 8 Springfield Armory handguns for every Glock. I really like mine and, in fact, have had at least five different Glocks and sold/ traded every one. I might have another Glock in my future but, for now, don't miss any of them. To each his/her own. Just go with what YOU like; not what WE like.:yup:

#19 ·
I'm a Glock man through and through...the XD would also serve you well, I just hate to see you buy the XD and then have to sell it and buy a Glock.
I'm always thinking ahead.:yup:

#20 ·
I'm not a fan of the .40, but that's not the question.

I'm not a big fan of the grip safety on the XD. If it weren't for that, I would have an XD. The gun is much more comfortable than the glock and feels nicer. It has a better grip angle as well.

The grip safety is just dumb. It ruins what would be the best pistol out there. I had an xd in .357 sig, I went back to a glock after a cab driver I knew was shot and killed because he couldn't get a shot off behind him due to the grip safety.

#21 ·
Sorry about your cabbie friend. But I have a couple of XDs and have never, ever, ever had any type of failure with the grip safety. I don't even notice its there. Nor, have I ever seen documented proof of grip safety failure. I've heard it mentioned....from friends of a friends monkeys uncle that once owned an XD and now only owns Glocks. Imagine that....

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.