Taurus PT709 Slim Review

This is a discussion on Taurus PT709 Slim Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, here is my review of the Taurus PT709 Slim with a blued steel slide. I bought mine brand new from Bass Pro; it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Taurus PT709 Slim Review

Taurus PT709 Slim Review

Hello all, here is my review of the Taurus PT709 Slim with a blued steel slide. I bought mine brand new from Bass Pro; it came with a bulldog case and 2 magazines. I paid around $400.

I wouldnít recommend this gun; itís been awful for me. I donít spend the time to type out a gun review unless itís been exceptionally good or exceptionally awful and the Taurus PT709 is an exceptionally awful gun. I did not have any manufacturing bias until I bought this gun; Iíve heard a lot of bad about Taurus quality. However I also heard they were shaping up and making better guns. I gave Taurus a fair shot and it was a BIG mistake.
    I carried this gun for about three months. I kept it very clean and a light coating of oil to protect the finish. After roughly two weeks of carrying it in a belly band, rust started to form on the slide from sweat, unacceptable in my opinion.

The grip isnít too my liking, my pinky hangs off and grip texturing doesnít come close to SIG, Glock and the S&W MP. The sights are too low profile and the loaded chamber indicator seems to get in the way. Disassembly and cleaning is OK, itís not the best, but Iím sure there is something out there that is more difficult to clean. The slide release is also very sharp and needs to be deburred, it has taken skin off my thumb.

Itís a very concealable gun, 1Ē width, 3Ē barrel, short grip and 6Ē overall length. I could carry it comfortable anywhere, including my back pocket in some pants.

The trigger pull is very long and stacks too much. It also has a very long reset. Unsmooth trigger pull.

First day at the range I put the following through it: 300rds Federal 115gr FMJ, 50rds Remington 115gr FMJ, 14rds Remington 115gr JHP, 25rds Hornady Z-Max 115gr JHP.

Itís accurate enough for self-defense purposes; I would trust it between 0-10yds. Itís just not on the same level as the top American and European guns.

About 3/4ths of the time, with every type of ammunition, the gun would fail to feed the last round and lock the slide back. I had 1 FTE.
    I would give this gun a solid F, poor quality, poor ergonomics, and poor reliability. I cannot trust this gun with my life. By the time you read this Iíve already taken it to the pawnshop to get half of what I paid for it, good riddance.

Iíve already bought my replacement for this gun. A Sig Sauer P250, if this review has been helpful then I will go ahead and review the P250.
    TN_Mike and ugh762x39 like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    For that money I would have bought a Ruger Lc9
    Sorry it didn't work out for you.
    Taurus wheelguns, maybe.Taurus autoloaders..........not so much
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Another member of the Taurus club. Malfunctions or breaks enough its only good as a club.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    For that money I would have bought a Ruger Lc9
    Sorry it didn't work out for you.
    Taurus wheelguns, maybe.Taurus autoloaders..........not so much
    A buddy bought the Taurus Judge and had to send it back, he said he was pulling the trigger and nothing was happening. I was looking for a .44 Mag and came across the raging bull but I'd rather shell out a couple hundred more $$ and get a Smith or Ruger than gamble on a Taurus.

To the OP...it would seem that the majority of your complaints could have been unearthed IN the gun shop while you were shopping...

You said the grip wasn't to your liking, your pinky hung off and it wasn't up to the standards of other weapons...Didn't you notice that when you held and inspected the weapon in the shop?

The sights were tooo low? Did you not notice that when you held the ill fitting grip and your pinky hung off as you brought the weapon up to sight it in the shop?

The slide release was sharp and needed deburring? Again, did you not dry fire the weapon and drop a mag several times while in the shop..

You mentioned it began to rust on the slide after carrying about two weeks in a belly band, yet you also said you kept it clean with a lite coat of oil. Seems a bit unusual.

I could go on, but....Over all, I thank you for YOUR review. However it leaves too many unanswered questions in my mind to accept very much validity to your observations. Thanks for trying though. Good luck with your Sig P250..

Oh...for what it's worth...I carry a Glock 19 as my EDC, but I own a Taurus PT709Slim, which my wife carries...I've put it through it's paces. I've found it to be reliable and easy to shoot, as has my other half. Neither of us has had any probs on sights or sight picture. I've had no malfunctions whatsoever... I trust it to protect my wife's life, and I would carry it in a heartbeat. Just shows...there are many opinions out here, and many with varying results on weapons that others don't care for.

Keep the reviews coming...Merry Christmas and be safe!
    eureka77, Rigrat, bfboy and 1 others like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post

Taurus PT709 Slim with a blued steel slide.

I wouldn’t recommend this gun

The trigger pull is very long.
    I had the same pistol and agree with the above ^
    The trigger was terrible.
    The grip is actually too slim, for me.
    Mine also allowded fired cases to bulge.
    Sent it back and eventually it was returned with a blank barrel that did not have a serial # to match the pistol like the original barrel did.

I really wanted to like that pistol
    Three strikes
    I have gotten rid of perfectly good pistols, much less three strikes.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I also had a 709 slim and a 740 slim and I never had a problem with either of em (well maybe that sharp slde release), and I especially like that trigger it has a long lite take up, then a nice single action pull,
    I lke that trigger better than the Khars altho it ain't in the class of the 1911.
    I also have Taurus pt 145 which is my favorite carry piece.

John
    bfboy likes this.

VIP Member
    I had a 709 slim for a couple of weeks. I bought it from a buddy to help him through some tough times. I put about 300 rounds through it and it ran fine. I was not fond of the trigger, but the thing that made me sell it was the way it fit (or didn't) my hand.

After shooting an extended range session - with about 250 rounds, the rough texture (and mold lines) on the underside if the beaver tail (such as it is) wore a hole in my hand. I have never had any other gun do this and it simply was not worth putting up with, so I sold it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I have a 709 and have put 1000ish rounds through it and trust THAT gun. Overall my experience with Taurus hasn't been stellar, though.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    To the OP...it would seem that the majority of your complaints could have been unearthed IN the gun shop while you were shopping...

You said the grip wasn't to your liking, your pinky hung off and it wasn't up to the standards of other weapons...Didn't you notice that when you held and inspected the weapon in the shop?

The sights were tooo low? Did you not notice that when you held the ill fitting grip and your pinky hung off as you brought the weapon up to sight it in the shop?

The slide release was sharp and needed deburring? Again, did you not dry fire the weapon and drop a mag several times while in the shop..

You mentioned it began to rust on the slide after carrying about two weeks in a belly band, yet you also said you kept it clean with a lite coat of oil. Seems a bit unusual.

I could go on, but....Over all, I thank you for YOUR review. However it leaves too many unanswered questions in my mind to accept very much validity to your observations. Thanks for trying though. Good luck with your Sig P250..

Oh...for what it's worth...I carry a Glock 19 as my EDC, but I own a Taurus PT709Slim, which my wife carries...I've put it through it's paces. I've found it to be reliable and easy to shoot, as has my other half. Neither of us has had any probs on sights or sight picture. I've had no malfunctions whatsoever... I trust it to protect my wife's life, and I would carry it in a heartbeat. Just shows...there are many opinions out here, and many with varying results on weapons that others don't care for.

Keep the reviews coming...Merry Christmas and be safe!
    I agree that many of the problems I had with the 709 should have been identified at the gun shop, I was really trying the like the gun and I picked it mostly based on size and ability to be concealed. I should of picked a gun that suited me not the other way around, It was definitely a lesson learned.

My review probably came off as overly-harsh. Had it not been for the malfunctions at the range I would have kept it. If I couldn't get over the ergonomics, it fit my fiance's hand very well, she also shot it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    I agree that many of the problems I had with the 709 should have been identified at the gun shop, I was really trying the like the gun and I picked it mostly based on size and ability to be concealed. I should of picked a gun that suited me not the other way around, It was definitely a lesson learned.

My review probably came off as overly-harsh. Had it not been for the malfunctions at the range I would have kept it. If I couldn't get over the ergonomics, it fit my fiance's hand very well, she also shot it very well.
    I have a PT 709 as well and I think much of the review is dead on. I understand that a user's experience with one particular firearm may not reflect the entire line. Lemons do exist. Mine is not one.

I will confirm:
    1) Sharp edges on the slide. Seems unnecessary.
    2) Pinky does hang off the bottom of the grip. I paid $15 for a pair of extenders to go on the base plate of my magazines. Problem solved, though I wish they had included those in the package. Folks shouldn't have to add aftermarket pieces to make the gun work/feel right. I purchased a SCCY CPX-2 (a topic for another discussion) on a great bargain-basement deal and it included the extenders in the package.
    3) Creepy trigger. On the double action pull (first pull), the trigger pull is long (as it should be in DA mode), but it breaks cleanly and has a short reset. On the single action pull, the thing doesn't want to break at all and it has a long reset. The weight of the pull is acceptable (not wonderful), but the creep in taking it up and getting that break is frustrating at times.
    4) Not mentioned is high recoil due to weight. It doesn't rare up like my (one ounce lighter) SCCY, but it doesn't have the smoothness of my CZ-75 for sure. It's manageable, even for folks with smaller frames, but it's definitely a "kicker."

Now the good and/or disagreement
    1) Although it fired low, left (like everybody says) out of the box, at 10 yards, my groups started off TIGHT and remained TIGHT through several types of ammo. I found it to be very, very accurate. It did require some adjusting to get it where it needed to be. It's not a long range shooter, but at ranges of 0-10 yards, it's excellent.
    2) I have small-ish palms with average to long fingers. I find this gun feels GREAT in my hand once I added the extenders. I find the contour/texture of the grip to be acceptable, even good.
    3) I've gone through 500 rounds. No FTEs, FTFs. I do keep it clean.
    4) I am not "experienced" with handguns like I am with long guns, but I know a little and have shot several and own a few, and I find breakdown/cleaning on this model easy. It seems a little different compared to the other guns I know (CZ-75, Ruger P95, SCCY CPX-2) but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    5) It points well and the sight picture is decent. The elevation adjustment only raises one side, which seems poorly thought out, but this isn't a long range weapon and the adjustment does work, even if it leans one way or another.

To the OP, I have to agree: a gun that won't fire reliably isn't worth having and I respect and appreciate your report on the PT-709. I think it's good to know that folks have had bad experiences (as you have) and good experiences (as I have). It may point to spotty QC at the plant, or to design issues with models of a particular time period. Knowledge is power and it's important to show the good and the bad. In most cases, the truth probably falls somewhere in the middle.

I like my 709. I enjoy carrying it and shooting it. I have others I like better, but -- for me -- it's a good blend of light weight, a comfortable grip, conceal-ability and reliability and accuracy. It's not tops anywhere, but it's decent. For $300-$350, it's a good deal, though I am not convinced there aren't others out there that might be better. In short, I'd buy it again for the right price.
    eureka77 likes this.

Ewww Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Ewww Taurus.
    Sounds like you too had a bad experience with Taurus.

I had a PT 99 from the 80's that I recently sold and regretted doing so I picked up one of their 1911's. The PT 99 only had one issue; it liked 124 grain or heavier. Would FTE regularly with anything lighter. The 1911 has been a dream to shoot so far. Easily the nicest handgun to shoot that I have ever shot or owned and that's saying something.

It appears their QC could use some work because they do have too many lemons going out the door going just by what I have read on the forums.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

I had one with the SS slide and traded it: big mistake! It was flawless in every respect and, with the adjustable rear sight, I had it zeroed in to perfection. Why did I get ride of it--- good question!
    bfboy likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer928 View Post
    Sounds like you too had a bad experience with Taurus.

I had a PT 99 from the 80's that I recently sold and regretted doing so I picked up one of their 1911's. The PT 99 only had one issue; it liked 124 grain or heavier. Would FTE regularly with anything lighter. The 1911 has been a dream to shoot so far. Easily the nicest handgun to shoot that I have ever shot or owned and that's saying something.

It appears their QC could use some work because they do have too many lemons going out the door going just by what I have read on the forums.
    Milpro. Got rid of it within 48 hours of buying. It was jam-o-matic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links