kimber 45 vs kahr handgun

This is a discussion on kimber 45 vs kahr handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hi everyone what one does anyone think of either one and why? i am thinking and looking at both what one is better does anyone ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Armydad

Thread: kimber 45 vs kahr handgun

kimber 45 vs kahr handgun

hi everyone what one does anyone think of either one and why?
    i am thinking and looking at both what one is better does anyone carry one,.
    i was just wondering if anyone has a feeling on either one ? kimber or kahr? thanks

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twebb View Post
    i was just wondering if anyone has a feeling on either one ? kimber or kahr? thanks
    One only has to look at my screen name to know what I think. I have had the Kahr in 45 ACP and loved the feel of it. However, it was finicky when it came to which ammo it would fire. I took mine back to the gunsmith twice to get it unjammed due to ammo the gun "didn't like".

My everyday carry is the Kimber Ultra Covert 2. Great 3inch 1911 and I would never carry anything else at this point.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

See my signature line. Enough said.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by Twebb View Post
    You REALLY need to be a bit more specific. Kahr and Kimber both make a LOT of different models with a LOT of different specs. If your just asking for a general feel for the quality I honestly think they are about equal and that Kimber is overpriced by about 20-25 percent.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Well - these are substantially different guns, although similar in size. Nearly all Kimber pistols are 1911s - single action with thumb safety and grip safety. The Kahrs are double-action only (DAO) with one of the best triggers of that kind, but still a long pull compared to the 1911 SA.

One of the smallest Kimbers is the CDP Ultra, which is close to the Kahr K45. Dimensionally, the two are close but the Kimber is 3/4" longer, and it's also 7 ounces heavier. The K45 has 6+1 capacity, the CDP is 7+1.

I think it comes down to what feels good in your hand, and your comfort with the action type. A lot of folks are nervous about carrying the 1911 cocked and locked, but that's how they were designed to be carried. Also, some folks can't remember to sweep the thumb safety off when the gun is brought onto target... those are a couple of reasons to move toward the Kahr. FWIW, my main carry pistols are a 1911 and a Kimber CW9.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I like the feel of a 1911, and if you take care of them the Kimbers run great. I carried a Kimber pro carry for a while, and just ordered a Kimber ultra carry stainless. For me the 1911 won out because of all the safeties. I had a glock 26 for a while, but was a little nervous with one in the chamber and no external safety. For me I know sweeping the safety off of my 1911 is an ingrained habit, and when I switched to the glock for a bit I found myself sweeping at a non-existant safety when practicing my draw.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I hope you don't mind if I add another option. Look at the Sig P220 line of 45's as a legitimate option in that price range. If you get one with the melt treatment that rounds off the right angles of the slide you have a fine carry weapon. They are 8 + 1 in capacity. Weight will be slightly less that a full size 1911.
    multistage likes this.

I paid $355 for this Kahr CW45 which is about 1/3 of a Kimber price. 6+1, light, great ergonomics, and mine has bee utterly reliable.
    Break it in according to Kahr instructions and you are good to go. I carry 230gr JHP's. About the same size and weight of a Glock 36 with the same capacity.
    I don't and probably will never pop for a Kimber.....very pretty, expensive guns...... but I'm not interested in pretty.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I like my Kimber, a Custom II Stainless.

But I like my SIG 220 Dark Elite just as much.

Kahr would be easier to carry without question, but the Kimber or SIG would be easier to shoot, in my opinion. Much spendier, but well worth it.

Links