.380 v. 9mm

This is a discussion on .380 v. 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mostly the 9MM over .380 but I sometimes like to carry my Walther PPK which is 380. for what ever its worth I am not ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: .380 v. 9mm

VIP Member
    Mostly the 9MM over .380 but I sometimes like to carry my Walther PPK which is 380. for what ever its worth I am not a fan of the 40, at that point I go with my 45.

2. Remove Ads

Sticking within your question. I too, as some have posted, have both a 9mm & .380acp.

Now some have also veered off subject and added some other calibers of choice. So with that said.

When I ccw it depends on how I'm dressed as to what I ccw.

I'll ccw my .380acp if I can't ccw my 9mm if I can't ccw my 45acp.

These all come in such a wide variety of sizes, from so many reliable manufactures, that you should be able to find and try any of the two you asked about and, the third one I included too.

These are like shoes. Boo's Boots may fit and feel great on YOUR feet, but not on mine. So I wear Bongo Boots. You need to try and pickup a variety of firearms and see what fits YOU best. Them try to rent and shoot a few to see what YOU shoot best.

Because YMWV
    sensei2, candalos and vilecanards like this.

Sponsor

Re: .380 v. 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    .380 is NOT an effective defensive round. carry it as a BUG if you must, but a .38 +P is still a better choice.

As stated many times above, modern 9mm are nearly the size of .380's and completely reliable. Carry a .380 if you want questionable performance at 150% the cost.

What is your basis for saying .380 is not an effective defensive round? That is a pretty definitive statement. I'm not dissagreeing with you, but just curious about your reasoning.

Thanks!
    Clay

.380 v. 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Macantic View Post
    Being a small person with small pockets I like my little .380 loaded with hornaday critical defense.
    ^^^^^^^^*****^^^^^^^^^^^
    When I dont carry my Kimber.... What he said
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I fixed my problem between the two calibers.. I picked up a Sig P938 a short time back and IMO, problem solved.
    candalos likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Dave Spaulding addresses this issue better than anyone I've seen yet:

Stopping Power - YouTube
    Marshall_UT likes this.

Choosing one caliber for a one size fits all doesn't work for me. Depending on what I am wearing, I will carry calibers from 22 mag to a 45acp. If I don't have one attached to my belt, I have one in my pocket.

I have both, the 9 is full size, the 380 is pocket size. Depending on what I'm wearing, tells we what gun I carry. Try to find a range that rents guns and go shot them, buy the one that YOU shoot best. Don't think to hard on what size the bullet is, nobody is going to volunteer to let you shoot em to show you that is "not effective"
    Hopyard likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    What is your basis for saying .380 is not an effective defensive round? That is a pretty definitive statement. I'm not dissagreeing with you, but just curious about your reasoning.

Thanks!
    Clay
    .380 can only approach FBI minimun penetration standards in FMJ. 9mm (.357 Sig, .40, 10mm, .45ACP, and others outside the OP) can meet or exceed minimun standards in several different JHP loads. Subcompact barrels further reduce muzzle velocity, thus penetration and terminal performance.

Many projectiles, including the .380 can be lethal, but the .380 is not a reliably effective defensive round. That, plus the increased cost of .380 ammunition, and the marginal size difference of subcompact 9mm's leads me to my recommendation.

Where size is concerned, a little adds up to a lot if you're trying to conceal a pistol, especially in a pocket. There is no small 9mm that equals or beats the Kahr P380 or Ruger LCP for sheer portability.

And, FWIW, the .380 is a 9mm...short.
    thechriskarel likes this.

For your primary carry weapon I think the 9mm is the way to go. More bang, less bucks. My main carry is 9mm, but I've got a .380 too and carry it a small percentage of the time when deeper concealment is needed. I would not be comfortable with a .380 as my main carry because I know the 9mm has more stopping power and more rounds in the mag.
    Nmuskier likes this.

Of course you should carry as big a gun as you can. A .380 you have with you is a better defensive gun then the 9mm you have at home in the safe. Of course a 9mm is a more effective sd round then a 380 but neither are "man stoppers" without a precise shot and in those locations either would do the job. With that said either in a gun you can't shoot well doesn't do much good either.
    I carry a full size 45 when I can, a pocket 380 when I can't

The .380 is a nice size but it's a compromise at best. Everyone says I carry such n such 45, 40, 9mm but when I can't I compromise and carry the best I can at that moment. That comes out to what? as little compromise as I can make for the situation. In some cases you'd be better off picking up a rock and throwing it. I personally don't want to get shot with either 9mm or .380. But if I had a choice I'd want my attacker to have the .380 or less and me the 9mm. Summer time with less clothing I think the .380 has a better chance. And is a good compromise. I carry a
    9mm or a 38 spl.
    R
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Like Randall, I carry either 9mm or .38 special. Almost always .38 special. I see absolutely nothing wrong with using .380, however.
    Once likes this.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    Where size is concerned, a little adds up to a lot if you're trying to conceal a pistol, especially in a pocket. There is no small 9mm that equals or beats the Kahr P380 or Ruger LCP for sheer portability.

And, FWIW, the .380 is a 9mm...short.
    After years of reading pros and cons, the only answer that makes sense is "it all depends." Everything is in the mix; your body build, your dress style, your emotions, ballistics, manufacturer's reputation, cost, etc.

FWIW and YMMV, I had shied away from the LCP because so many folks wrote here that they just found it hurt their wrist.
    A few weeks ago I finally got to rent one and fell in love with it. LGS was out, but will call me when one comes in.

It is what it is. I've another larger pistol in .380 and a compact .40 that is a bit of a dog to shoot if you don't have
    a stout wrist. It seems to me the small .380s can't be beat if your really want to be certain to carry 100% .
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links