.380 v. 9mm

This is a discussion on .380 v. 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by .45acpguy When the cost of ammo is comparable, it just makes sense to go with the choice that gives you more punch--the ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: .380 v. 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by .45acpguy View Post
    When the cost of ammo is comparable, it just makes sense to go with the choice that gives you more punch--the 9mm.
    Unless smaller is more critical than cost of ammo, in which case it may make more sense to go with a 380. Lots of variables in the decision process.

2. Remove Ads

.380 v. 9mm

For a primary carry I would go with the 9mm, and get a .380acp for a BUG or another carry option at a later date if finances don't allow for both at this time. If you had to choose only one I would recommend the 9mm because as others have stated the cost of 9mm ammo is about half the price of the 380acp ammo so you can practice more with it as 9mm is more readily available. And not to mention it packs more of a punch, seems like a no brainer. I guess it comes down to how your planning on carrying, IWB, OWB, pocket, ankle, shoulder, etc. If you prefer to pocket carry or don't like the idea of a heavy gun on your waist the 380 would be the way to go. But for me I don't mind carrying a 21oz M&P compact 40 inside my waistband. I would suggest the M&P9c it's a great gun.

I carry my primary S&W M&P 40c which I've converted to 9mm for the range, and carry a S&W Bodyguard 380 as a back up or rarely I will carry the 380 by itself.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of guns, and be warned it's additive! I'm sure you'll probably end up having something in every caliber eventually if your like me!

They are the same diameter bullet. The 9 just has a longer case.

TNOutdoors9 on youtube does gel testing of loads and the 380 gold dots penetrate 13" with decent expansion. Will 9mm do better? Yes, slightly. But the 380 is fine.

9mm is always preferred due to capacity and such, but if you need a SMALL gun for concealment or lightness, then the 380 is fine. I love my TCP! 10oz ftw.

As expected, Less Filling vs Tastes Great.

I have both. I carry both. I trust both.

380 performance out of a SIG 229, M&P, or a Glock 19 is terrible when compared to a 9. Of course, those are not 380 platforms.

380 performance out of a SIG 238, Kahr p380, or a BG380 ain't too shabby. Those are guns you just drop in a pocket. Yeah, I know they make small 9s now. But I trust my 380 to do what it was designed for: as a good backup for one of my full size guns.

My advice is that before you decide on any gun, try them out first.

I tried a Ruger LCP .380 and did not like it at all, I usually carry a Glock 23 .40, which I love.

I just picked up a Kel-Tec PF9 that is slightly bigger than the lcp, lightweight, and easy to conceal, and I can actually shoot it OK too.

So, for me not really a caliber issue, more of a function and usability issue. If you can't shoot it, it does not matter what caliber it is, it will not do you any good when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
    .50 BMG It's only .10 bigger than .40, but it's amazing how much more bang you get.
    Well, Dangerfield, now you know why you don't get any respect.

Limited to the two calibers in the OP, I'd go for the 9x19. When I need a firearm, I need something with as much horsepower as I can get.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    9mm all the way. I have a .380 but don'y really like it much. I am thinking of trading it in for a LCR or a J frame S&W.

I will carry either caliber, both will do the job if shots hit it's target.

Just always remember that a 9X18 Makarov bullet diameter is different than a .380 or a 9MM luger (those two are the same diamter).

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I agree with pogo2 you need one of each, shoot placement is going to be more imortant than the difference between a .380 and a 9mm buy the one you shoot better
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Many projectiles, including the .380 can be lethal, but the .380 is not a reliably effective defensive round. That, plus the increased cost of .380 ammunition, and the marginal size difference of subcompact 9mm's leads me to my recommendation.
    Many projectiles, including the 9mm can be lethal, but the 9mm is not a reliably effective defensive round. That ... and the marginal size difference of subcompact .40s leads me to my recommendation

Many projectiles, including the .40 can be lethal, but the .40 is not a reliably effective defensive round. That ... and the marginal size difference of subcompact .45s leads me to my recommendation

Many projectiles, including the .45s can be lethal, but the .45 is not a reliably effective defensive round. That ... and the marginal size difference of subcompact .44 mags leads me to my recommendation

etc.

Fla
    My 380 is my bug and it is always on me. Sometimes my attire means I can only carry the 380.
    My thinking, I will draw at one distance, pulling the trigger will be close range ( less than 8 feet ) I live in Florida so no heavy jackets to worry about. The round at that range will make BG change his mind if not then I have 6 more to help his thinking.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

I have the smallest .40 available and a kel-tec P3AT .380. both serve a good purpose. In all honesty, the Kahr is really not that much bigger then the .380
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

How do you like that Cm40? That strikes me as an excellent choice for a CCW. I love those Kahr triggers.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
    Many projectiles, including the 9mm can be lethal, but the 9mm is not a reliably effective defensive round. That ... and the marginal size difference of subcompact .40s leads me to my recommendation

Many projectiles, including the .40 can be lethal, but the .40 is not a reliably effective defensive round. That ... and the marginal size difference of subcompact .45s leads me to my recommendation

Many projectiles, including the .45s can be lethal, but the .45 is not a reliably effective defensive round. That ... and the marginal size difference of subcompact .44 mags leads me to my recommendation

etc.
    Let me simplify things. In a world where people die from an infected scratch, yet survive being run over by a truck, it is difficult to draw a line as to what is lethal and what is not. In carrying a firearm, the purpose is to stop an imminently deadly threat.

There is lots of shooting data, but not much controlled scientific data due to the number of variables vs. the number of volunteers willing to be shot in a controlled environment. Thus the FBI has developed minimum criteria for handgun rounds. Here's the simple part. The 9mm meets this standard. The .380 does not.

Feel free to offer your own research if you don't like the source I've provided.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links