.380 v. 9mm

.380 v. 9mm

This is a discussion on .380 v. 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, Ok, I know I am asking a ridiculous question that is fairly subjective and will likely bring as many opposing opinions as answers, but ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: .380 v. 9mm

.380 v. 9mm

Ok, Ok, I know I am asking a ridiculous question that is fairly subjective and will likely bring as many opposing opinions as answers, but I'm a newbie and looking for an effective carry weapon. So, here it goes; which do you prefer CC, and Why?Thanks gang!

9mm...more beef...

With all of the new small 9mm's available now, I see no reason to carry a .380. I totally agree Dooger, more beef!
    kmagnuss, Nmuskier and sensei2 like this.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

.40 It's only .02 bigger than .380, but it's amazing how much more bang you get. ;-)
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

I have a 32 and a 380 I use in my carry rotation when circumstances dictate the need for an ultra deep concealment piece. But general carry I like my 9mm for a little more punch.
    ccman likes this.

9mm gives you more power and the 9mm ammo seems to be more readily available and at about the the same price as .380.

Bullet weight are higher in the 9mm - 115, 124, 135, 147 grains as compared to .380 at 90 or 95 grains.

A lot of write-ups I've seen say that a .380 is the minimum firepower you should consider for self defense, so I would try to go up a bit from there. However the .380 remains popular... so the choice is yours.

.50 BMG It's only .10 bigger than .40, but it's amazing how much more bang you get.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Being a small person with small pockets I like my little .380 loaded with hornaday critical defense.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

I own both. I carry a 9mm a majority of the time, but there are times that I may need to pocket carry, so a .380ACP is what I go with. Whatever you choose, practice with it and become proficient with it. At the end of the day, shot placement is going to be more important than caliber.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I own both. I carry a 9mm a majority of the time, but there are times that I may need to pocket carry, so a .380ACP is what I go with. Whatever you choose, practice with it and become proficient with it. At the end of the day, shot placement is going to be more important than caliber.
    Yup! what he said...

You need one of each...

I agree with the previous posters who said that you need one of each, to use when the circumstances call for one or the other. Most .380s are somewhat smaller and lighter than small 9mms, so they conceal better, especially in a pocket. But the 9mms pack more punch and have a better chance of stopping an attack.

My smallest .380 is a Sig P238 at 15 ounces empty, and it conceals very well in the pocket. My smallest 9mm is a Kahr MK9 that is really a belt gun, given its 24 ounce weight empty.

jblives2ride likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

It should be mentioned that target ammo for the 9mm is about 1/2 the cost of .380. I buy 100 rounds of 9mm WWB for $24. The .380 WWB 100 round packs are $42.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    .380 is NOT an effective defensive round. carry it as a BUG if you must, but a .38 +P is still a better choice.

As stated many times above, modern 9mm are nearly the size of .380's and completely reliable. Carry a .380 if you want questionable performance at 150% the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
    .50 BMG It's only .10 bigger than .40, but it's amazing how much more bang you get.
    50GI is an option!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I have a couple of versions in each caliber but find I carry the LCP most often due to its small size. J frame sees some duty as well. Looking to get a micro 9 for reasons mentioned above, but prob not for awhile yet.

Too many guns now as it is.

Wait......did I just say that???? :)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links