Kahr K's vs. M&P compacts? .40 or 9mm

This is a discussion on Kahr K's vs. M&P compacts? .40 or 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone shot side-by-side a Kahr K9 or K40 with a M&P9c or M&P40c? Maybe even a 9 shield or a .40 shield? What can ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By smolck

Thread: Kahr K's vs. M&P compacts? .40 or 9mm

Has anyone shot side-by-side a Kahr K9 or K40 with a M&P9c or M&P40c? Maybe even a 9 shield or a .40 shield? What can you offer for comparisons?

I noticed the slide width on the Kahr's is .9", less than the Shield slide width (.95" for the Shield). The Kahr standard K's are also a full metal frame so I would think the added weight would boost control and lesson the kick. Can anyone give a side-by-side comparison?

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    The K series would be easier to shoot over the lighter sheild. But the K Kahr is closer to weight of the regular m&p in weight but as you know way thinner . Kahr does have a more compairable handgun to the sheild with the CW series that is a bit shorter with the same height of the sheild and a couple oz lighter and might that would be more of an egual compairison to the sheild. The cw9 very shootable handgun too. The trigger are different with the kahrs haveing a 6lb DAtype smooth pull and the sheild being a short reset typical stricker trigger and a 1/2lb + heavier. Both can be mastered in the range with an open mind.

I will say I am not a big fan of the 40sw in small handguns. Bit on the sanppy side. I helped a buddy break in his cw40 and desided if given to me I would sell and maybe try them cw45 instead. In the mean time I will carry my cw or cm kahrs. I have zero interest in kahrs all metal series of handguns. hehe Forgot- I did get to shoot a guys 9mm sheild a few weeks back. Good functional small pistol but for me nothing thats stands as better but a good solid ddition to the same handgun mix.

If your going to carry a compact double stack you might as well carry a mid or full size. You can hide them just as easy. If you want something smaller the Kahr p/cw series is hard to beat. I have a cw9 and love it. The cw9 handles alot better than you think a 15 ounce 9mm would.The 40s are reported to be a handful. Kahr triggers are very smooth but long and not very heavy. Find a range that rents the k9/cw9 and compare how they shoot. The 9s have 1 more round than the 40s.

I currently own an MK9 and love it. I've owned a G19 and almost bought an M&Pc before the Kahr. The M&P felt great in my hand, I just wanted to get solid with a different platform. The Kahr's fit me well, but I do miss the capacity of the M&P. Shield seems cool, gets solid reviews. They are all good! I have tried SO many handguns...sure it's cost a bit of money over the years, but I enjoy working with different things. Ramble. Sorry

I have shot and owned a k9 and Shield 40

The K9 is a nice pistol, but the Shield is fantastic
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
    The K9 is a nice pistol, but the Shield is fantastic
    Can you elaborate on your reasoning? Was it accuracy? How the gun feels in your hand? Concealability?

I finally got my hands on a Kahr K, 9mm, today and it felt absolutely incredible. I thought my M&P40c was an ergonomic/comfortable frame... I am pretty sure I am going to go with a K9 next. Ah, the collection has begun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post
    Can you elaborate on your reasoning? Was it accuracy? How the gun feels in your hand? Concealability?

I finally got my hands on a Kahr K, 9mm, today and it felt absolutely incredible. I thought my M&P40c was an ergonomic/comfortable frame... I am pretty sure I am going to go with a K9 next. Ah, the collection has begun.
    Friend you are comparing two very good, popular pistols. The Kahrs are great and the M&P series pistols are great. Only you can decide what you like better and the best way to learn about them is to shoot them.

I prefer the Kahr CW9 but IMO you can't go wrong with the M&P either. Just like Ford or Chevy, it is a personal decision.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Thanks for the reply atctimmy.

Off-topic - Does the ATC in your username have anything to do with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy?

On-topic - It looks like all the other polymer frame Kahrs like your CW9 are just that - polymer grips too. I noticed on the K9 the grips were a type of rubber. Am I correct in that the polymer models are all polymer?

VIP Member
    Off- ATC = Air Traffic Control

On- Yes, I believe so.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post

The Kahr was a nice pistol, but I really didnt like the long triggers......

Its very smooth, but I would rather have a pistol that I could do true double taps, especially if I am carrying a 9mm
    With the kahr, its more difficult.

When you shoot the kahr, after shooting other trigger systems, you have to really concentrate to be accurate (at least for me)

The first time I shot my M&P, (shield and M&P 45c) I was accurate right out of the box
    This held true for the other many pistols that I bought and tried over the years.
    Sigs, CZs, Bersas, etc

The kahr always took me a few rounds at the range to get on target.

I didnt like this transition. I CCW, so I want very much to be accurate on the first shot.

I had a kahr K9, then went to a CM9, to be able to pocket carry.

I no longer pocket carry, so the short thin pistol isnt needed.

I now rotate between a 45C and a 40 cal Shield.

Again, the kahr isnt bad....... Just not for me
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Dean, thanks for the information. It is good to hear your perspective. I never really considered trigger pull, people have told me my 40c pull is "too long" for their liking. I don't mind it. I am going to keep looking around for a K to shoot. I have only found one (used K9 on consignment) in over a month of shopping. The range I go to has a CM9 I could rent, but that won't help me much in comparing to a K.

M&P40c is one of the most controllable small .40 cal pistols I have ever shot. I am a huge fan of the M&Ps (yet I carry a Glock.....go figure)
    Sledge likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I have the m&p9c and it conceals well. Shoots good at the range with modest recoil. Holds 12 +1 rounds can use full size 17 round mags. And it isnt much bigger or heavier than most of the single stacks on the market today.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    while looking for a carry gun my girlfriend shot a friend's Kahr 9mm and a M&P9c and she liked both but only owns/carrys one... she picked the M&P9c over the Kahr....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Links