Defensive Carry banner

Kahr K's vs. M&P compacts? .40 or 9mm

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Spec 
#1 ·
Has anyone shot side-by-side a Kahr K9 or K40 with a M&P9c or M&P40c? Maybe even a 9 shield or a .40 shield? What can you offer for comparisons?

I noticed the slide width on the Kahr's is .9", less than the Shield slide width (.95" for the Shield). The Kahr standard K's are also a full metal frame so I would think the added weight would boost control and lesson the kick. Can anyone give a side-by-side comparison?

#2 ·
The K series would be easier to shoot over the lighter sheild. But the K Kahr is closer to weight of the regular m&p in weight but as you know way thinner . Kahr does have a more compairable handgun to the sheild with the CW series that is a bit shorter with the same height of the sheild and a couple oz lighter and might that would be more of an egual compairison to the sheild. The cw9 very shootable handgun too. The trigger are different with the kahrs haveing a 6lb DAtype smooth pull and the sheild being a short reset typical stricker trigger and a 1/2lb + heavier. Both can be mastered in the range with an open mind.

I will say I am not a big fan of the 40sw in small handguns. Bit on the sanppy side. I helped a buddy break in his cw40 and desided if given to me I would sell and maybe try them cw45 instead. In the mean time I will carry my cw or cm kahrs. I have zero interest in kahrs all metal series of handguns. hehe Forgot- I did get to shoot a guys 9mm sheild a few weeks back. Good functional small pistol but for me nothing thats stands as better but a good solid ddition to the same handgun mix.

#3 ·
If your going to carry a compact double stack you might as well carry a mid or full size. You can hide them just as easy. If you want something smaller the Kahr p/cw series is hard to beat. I have a cw9 and love it. The cw9 handles alot better than you think a 15 ounce 9mm would.The 40s are reported to be a handful. Kahr triggers are very smooth but long and not very heavy. Find a range that rents the k9/cw9 and compare how they shoot. The 9s have 1 more round than the 40s.

#4 ·
I currently own an MK9 and love it. I've owned a G19 and almost bought an M&Pc before the Kahr. The M&P felt great in my hand, I just wanted to get solid with a different platform. The Kahr's fit me well, but I do miss the capacity of the M&P. Shield seems cool, gets solid reviews. They are all good! I have tried SO many handguns...sure it's cost a bit of money over the years, but I enjoy working with different things. Ramble. Sorry

#5 ·
I have shot and owned a k9 and Shield 40

The K9 is a nice pistol, but the Shield is fantastic

#6 ·
The K9 is a nice pistol, but the Shield is fantastic
Can you elaborate on your reasoning? Was it accuracy? How the gun feels in your hand? Concealability?

I finally got my hands on a Kahr K, 9mm, today and it felt absolutely incredible. I thought my M&P40c was an ergonomic/comfortable frame... I am pretty sure I am going to go with a K9 next. Ah, the collection has begun.

#11 ·
Dean, thanks for the information. It is good to hear your perspective. I never really considered trigger pull, people have told me my 40c pull is "too long" for their liking. I don't mind it. I am going to keep looking around for a K to shoot. I have only found one (used K9 on consignment) in over a month of shopping. The range I go to has a CM9 I could rent, but that won't help me much in comparing to a K.

#12 ·
M&P40c is one of the most controllable small .40 cal pistols I have ever shot. I am a huge fan of the M&Ps (yet I carry a Glock.....go figure)

Reactions: Sledge
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.