Hunt for new gun

This is a discussion on Hunt for new gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted a couple months ago wanting your thoughts on .40 vs .45. I been doing alot of reading... thanks guys Its not that i ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaybm
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Hunt for new gun

Hunt for new gun

I posted a couple months ago wanting your thoughts on .40 vs .45. I been doing alot of reading... thanks guys
    Its not that i need another gun but a want. So i decided on a .45. I havent went out and shot one yet but thats comming soon..local gun range.
    Any thoughts from you guys or gals on which brand. Im not going to carry it. just use it for bedside or take when i camping...ect

TIA

2. Remove Ads

If concealment isn't an issue then I like a heavier metal gun. I am partial to the full-size Sig P220, but a 1911 would be good. If you like polymer guns then the S&W M&P 45 or the Glock 21 are good places to start.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

The Glock-21 will give you all the firepower you want on a camping trip (w/o grizzles).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    G21 for bedside use all the way. Put some night sights on it - green front and orange rear so they are easy to use if you have not been up for a while. I also put a weapon light on mine so that if I don't have time to grab the flashlight I can still put light on a situation.

The G30 makes a good little travel companion to the G21 as it can use the larger G21 mags for HD duty and still conceal very easily with the G30 mags.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I've got the Sig 220C, full size frame with shorter (3.9 in.) barrel.

Another option is the under rated Bersa ...

Item # T45MP MSRP $480.00
    Mfg Bersa Your Price: $435.99
    Model Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro Series Matte Sale Ends:
    Type Semi-Automatic Pistol Quantity: 0
    Caliber: 45AP Finish Matte Blue
    Additional Specifications
    Action: Double Action
    Stock: Black Polymer Grips
    Capacity: 7+1
    Sights: Rear: White Outline
    Barrel Length: 3.6"
    Overall Length: 6.7"
    Weight: 27 oz
    # of Mags: 2
    Additional Features 1: Ambidextrous Safety, Loaded Chamber Indicator
    Additional Features 2: Magazine Release, Picatinny Rail

I've got the .40 S&W and last time shooting it got these results,

Bersa .jpg
    BurgerBoy likes this.

VIP Member
    If available to you, you might also want to look at the CZ 97. Don't know what your hand size is. The 97 is chunk, but if it is a fit for you, they're reliable and reasonably priced.
    RoadRunner71 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I have lots of .45's, the CZ 97 is at the top of my list when I get around to another one.

If that isn't your cup of tea, it would be hard to beat a Glock 21 or SIG P220.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I have thought about getting a .40 but I have not yet researched them, If I did get one it would be a compact so I can carry in most situations
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Glock 21
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Since you've said its intent was not for CC, then by all means look for a full size pistol. Many good ones have already been suggested but don't overlook the chance to pick up a nice 1911.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Three suggestions...

I like 45s and prefer the full size models if carry is not a consideration. My three favorites are a Colt 1911, a Sig P220 and a H&K USP45F. The USP has the most magazine capacity (12) and the lightest weight. The other two are all steel with 8 round magazines.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Links