First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed - Page 2

First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed

This is a discussion on First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You should decide how you are going to holster it and if you are comfortable with a holstered 1911 ( with round in the chamber ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed

VIP Member
    You should decide how you are going to holster it and if you are comfortable with a holstered 1911 ( with round in the chamber hammer back, saftey on). Or plan "B" go with a DA/SA model. You may be able to get into a model with night sites for just under a grand.
    Remember to pick up a cleaning kit, and a safe for it, so you can lock it up and take care of it.

Thanks again everyone. I am going to take the repeated advice of this thread and rent several guns to narrow down the search and ultimately find what fits me best. I appreciate everyone's input.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    As you may have inferred from some of the other posts, it doesn't matter so much what you buy first. You're going to buy more, I promise, as your tastes evolve. Usually, you can sell the old ones for not much of a loss, if you so desire, trade-in, etc. Don't worry about it so much. You've already tried a bunch and you're still not sure. Pick a cheaper one that seems to fit the bill and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    As you may have inferred from some of the other posts, it doesn't matter so much what you buy first. You're going to buy more, I promise, as your tastes evolve. Usually, you can sell the old ones for not much of a loss, if you so desire, trade-in, etc. Don't worry about it so much. You've already tried a bunch and you're still not sure. Pick a cheaper one that seems to fit the bill and go from there.
    Yea I experienced the same in my other hobbies, but you can never sell things for what you pay so I'm trying to do avoid maybe the first 1-2 guns I'd buy if I did this normally by doing a lot more research

If I were new to hand guns Id be looking at longer barreled versions of Ruger MK1, 2, or, 3, Browning Buckmark, or S&W 22A. I know these miss one of your criteria but they are great target guns that come with good target sights right out of the box. The Ruger's and Browning's are supported by a good aftermarket parts network, So personalizing it is easy. You will not easily outgrow or out shoot these guns capability's. My wife's Ruger MK1 is still one of the most accurate guns we own. We have both used it in competition over the years. I tried the Steel Challenge and more recently a Run & Gun course. The gun did fine I don't run so well! My wife shot in a pistol league a few years back. And at $13 for 550 rounds of ammo it shoots cheaper than anything else I own. If you are still set on a 9mm first, Look for the same quality's that make these top choices. Longer barrel, longer sight radius, Good adjustable sights, a good after market parts supply, and a reputation for long lasting quality guns. Also look around at possible target clubs around you, If you intend to shoot their games you might want to see what the successful shooters are using. Good luck DR

And if I may ... the location ... United States ... is pretty broad as well.
    If you could narrow that down a notch you might find someone close and
    willing to share a range and several pistols to try.
    At the outdoor public range I use it's like a social club once you're a regular
    and it's not unusual at all to try one another's firearms especially if someone
    shows up with a new one.

J

I'll echo other people's input and suggest that you find a range that rents pistols so that you can try a variety. I know what works for me....but will it work for you? Maybe not.

Buy what fits your hand, feels right, and shoots well for you. With your budget, you should be able to choose from a wide variety of options for polymer pistols (Glock, S&W, Springfield, H&K) and all-metal pistols (SIG, moderately priced 1911's).

Thanks, and updated my location to Northern VA

Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
    Thanks again everyone. I am going to take the repeated advice of this thread and rent several guns to narrow down the search and ultimately find what fits me best. I appreciate everyone's input.
    Your best bet is to go to a large gun show first and handle anything and everything that peaks your interest - then maybe try to rent those, but the chances are pretty high that your not going to find a rental for all that you are interested in anyway. I like brocktice's advice above...pick one and roll with it unless you want to spend another two years on this. I also wouldn't spend big bucks either - something like a Walther PPQ or CZ P-07 would be perfect.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Yes, CZs are really nice. Definitely something to consider if you want a classic, non-polymer 9. Sigs are also great.

If you don't mind polymer, consider the HK USP. Great guns and as long as your sights are correctly aligned, they will almost always be more accurate than you (meaning we, or anyone) are. That being said, I think all the guns mentioned so far are going to be really accurate. A buddy of mine who shoots IDPA is an absolute menace with his M&P.

Good luck and have fun!

Gav

I found the Smith & Wesson M&P series really felt good in my hands.
    So when I found out they sell a Range & Carry kit for less than $600.
    Check your LGS.
    I bought it. The kit comes with extra magazine, 3 total, and best of all a very
    handy reloader, and a good kydex holster, plus magazine holster.
    After shooting several hundred rounds on the range you'll really want a reloader.
    The kit saved me well over $100. And for a first time buyer It's all you need
    For a good start.
    I've already gone back and purchased the M&P 40c. So keeping the hobbie
    Under $1000, is a challenge.
    Have fun and be safe.
    Happy New Year to all.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Based on what you want it for, Home defense and range use. I agree with the Sig P226, but also do not discount a Beretta 92F or CZ, or a Browning Hi-Power.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I believe the Beretta 92A1 with a light mounted on the rail is an excellent choice for a home defense/range gun.

Also look at the Walther PPQ.

Whatever gun you decide to get make sure it has a rail and make sure you mount a good quality light to it.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Lots of good advice here. The best I think is to rent a number of different ones before deciding, and that includes revolvers.

As far as losing money on resale, guns are notorious for holding their value if they are quality pieces. compare some of the used guns to new to get a feel for things.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    You've received some very good advice here from some very knowlegable people, but brocktice has provided the best answer to your question. Your original question made it clear that you think you're going to buy the perfect gun now and be happy with it forever. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. You're going to evolve in what you like and want to do, and the guns are going to evolve, too. I'd guess that many of us started out with one gun, thinking that was all we'd ever need or want, but if you took a poll on this or any other forum you'd find that maybe 1% of members only own one gun--and most of them are new to the shooting sport.

Good luck, and welcome to the sport.
    Toorop likes this.
    If you would enslave a people, first you must disarm them.

~ Adolf Hitler
    ~ Mein Kampf

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links