First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed - Page 3

First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed

This is a discussion on First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; $1000? A Glock-19, some ammo, and a 1-2 day SD pistol course...a great start!...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed

$1000?
    A Glock-19, some ammo, and a 1-2 day SD pistol course...a great start!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    M&P 9 or a Glock 19 and 1000 rounds of ammo is a good place to start.
    What he said.

Lots of features to consider:
    size (length, width, height)
    weight
    type of action (DA/SA, DAO, etc.)
    striker fired vs. hammer (a few different configurations here)
    capacity
    how it feels in your hand
    recoil
    how easy is it to shoot accurately
    types of safeties (trigger, grip, manual, firing pin block, none, etc.)
    reputation for reliability (breaking, failure to feed, failure to eject, etc.)
    do you like the way it looks (probably the most important )

Look at lots of guns you like and list the features above. Buy the one that seems to meet the criteria you find important.

But, that said: Try not to drive yourself crazy. Like others have said, your first purchase probably won't be your last.

If you're absolutely, 100% positive you want a 9mm get a CZ 75B. I have had one for years and it has proven to be rugged, accurate and dependable. If, on the other hand, you are still open to suggestions, you just can't beat a good quality 4" .357 revolver. It gives you the option of shooting both 357 and 38 special. Good luck, I'm sure you'll make the right decision
    BurgerBoy likes this.

First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    $1000?
    ^^^ Great advice IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
    I'll be unhappy with a gun that I can outshoot in a year or two.
    I'll tell you the same thing I was told. Your first gun will be just that, a FIRST gun. Whether you replace it or add to your collection will be dominated by your finances. You're probably thinking along the lines of, "that may be true for most people, but I'm going to thoroughly research everything and not make that mistake." Research is good, but don't get upset with yourself later when you begin considering new options, it happens to everyone. I don't expect that you will believe this, I know I didn't. Oh, a later corollary is a drawer full of holsters. I didn't believe that either, but I'm rushing too far ahead.

Since you're in Northern Virginia:

"Blue Ridge Arsenal" is an indoor range in Chantilly and they will rent guns. Obviously their selection is limited, but it's a reasonable spread.

The most cost effective range in the area is the NRA Headquarters in Fairfax, and it's quite nice as you might expect. They don't rent guns, but they do offer classes.

The Dulles Expo in Chantilly generally has a very large gun show every other month or so. It's a great place to handle many different options. I believe the next 3-day show starts tomorrow!

"Virginia Arms" in Manassas is a great store! Their prices are competitive and the people are helpful and friendly. They have no problem with browsing. The staff are pleasant and professional.
    (Not to be confused with another similar named store in the area which I would NOT recommend)
    brocktice and sensei2 like this.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed

^^^^^^^^ 1000 times this.

CJM
    I'll be unhappy with a gun that I can outshoot in a year or two. I am able to shoot 4" spreads at 25 yds at the moment. I'm sure it's still me, but I'd like to be able to do that at 50 yards someday so I'd prefer to not jump at a gun that would never be able to accomplish that.
    There are very, very few people who can outshoot the majority of pistols on the market today. Let me repeat that, very, very few. 4" "spreads" at 25 yds is good even for experienced shooters, 4" groups at 25 yds for a novice with limited trigger time is hard to believe. Do you mean 25 ft?

If you're a novice holding 4" groups at 25 yds consistently, with the right gun and some training you should be fending off shooting sponsorships with a stick.

VIP Member
    Take a look at the CZ 75B, or the CZ 75 P-01. Both will fit what your looking for. The + with the P-01 is it has built in rails, so if you wanted to install a light or laser for home defense, it is set up to accept them already.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. picking a gun without shooting it is like picking a woman to marry without meeting her - it might work out, but it might not.

i bought my first gun (H&K P-7) after MUCH research and reading, but no hands on experience. i ended up with an accurate, dependable, reliable gun that i didn't like shooting.

my choices for you to shoot/consider: Sig P-226 variant; Glock 17/Gen 4; S&W M&P/9mm/full-size; Springfield Armory XDM 5.25/9mm; CZ 75 variant; Government-size 1911/9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    $1000?
    It worked for me. ;)

I've shot different calibers but mainly prefer the 9mm due to cost.
    I'd like something with either high capacity or easy reloads (sorry to the revolver fans)
    I'd prefer full size.
    No to carrying.
    I have the same basic criteria you do. Earlier this year we bought a Beretta PX4 Storm INOX Full size and really enjoy shooting it - very smooth, light recoil, 17 round mags, Beretta quality, and a fair price of $550 for what you get. Recently bought a Ruger SR9c for a little more possible future concealing option. This is another well made and great to shoot gun which I got for $385 new.

How do you feel about an external safety? It may help reduce your choices. Personally I like them, and prefer the safety on the SR9c of the two, and lack of an external hammer. But the SR9c is harder to rack.

XD is a nice gun also..... practice ammo in 9mm will run you about .22/.24 cents a round....45 will run about 38 cents.. 40 is only slightly less than 45 in my area. have fun shopping !!

virg

M&P 9mm full size for fun. M&P shield 9mm for Self Defense/ccw.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

VIP Member
    Your "gal" needs to go on a shoe allowance.
    You get a gun, she gets shoes &/or handbag.
    You get another gun, she gets a new pair of shoes,,,,,,,,,,Repeat process.

To answer your question;
    BROWNING HI-POWER
    If you are NOT going to carry it(or even if you will @ some point) it will make a great range pistol(accurate).
    HD-safe to have @ home.

PS;
    In this neck of the woods we are partial to M&P's.
    I know close to 8 people with one, in some caliber(9mm .40or .357 sig.) or size .
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links