First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed

This is a discussion on First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tkruf Based on what you want it for, Home defense and range use. I agree with the Sig P226, but also do ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Based on what you want it for, Home defense and range use. I agree with the Sig P226, but also do not discount a Beretta 92F or CZ, or a Browning Hi-Power.
    Stop here and shop no farther. These pistols will hold value and are great range pistols. A quality BHP may appreciate in value. Look at the CZ 75 Shadow: CZ-USA -> Product Categories
    HK is no slouch either- USP or 2000

You could narrow your search by considering: polymer or steel/alloy frame, exposed hammer or striker fired.
    For a home defense pistol, I find no reason for anything but full size duty frames.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
    First off hi, I'm new here.

I've finally weathered my gal into letting me purchase a single handgun.

its a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!!
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post
    I'll tell you the same thing I was told. Your first gun will be just that, a FIRST gun. Whether you replace it or add to your collection will be dominated by your finances. You're probably thinking along the lines of, "that may be true for most people, but I'm going to thoroughly research everything and not make that mistake." Research is good, but don't get upset with yourself later when you begin considering new options, it happens to everyone. I don't expect that you will believe this, I know I didn't. Oh, a later corollary is a drawer full of holsters. I didn't believe that either, but I'm rushing too far ahead.

Since you're in Northern Virginia:

"Blue Ridge Arsenal" is an indoor range in Chantilly and they will rent guns. Obviously their selection is limited, but it's a reasonable spread.

The most cost effective range in the area is the NRA Headquarters in Fairfax, and it's quite nice as you might expect. They don't rent guns, but they do offer classes.

The Dulles Expo in Chantilly generally has a very large gun show every other month or so. It's a great place to handle many different options. I believe the next 3-day show starts tomorrow!

"Virginia Arms" in Manassas is a great store! Their prices are competitive and the people are helpful and friendly. They have no problem with browsing. The staff are pleasant and professional.
    (Not to be confused with another similar named store in the area which I would NOT recommend)
    Thanks for the info!

I actually got introduced to blue ridge by a coworker and that is where I've done all of my shooting thus far. We've stopped in the NRA range, but it's always too crowded. And I'll be at the gun show this weekend. I don't have a VA license yet so I cannot buy handguns here yet, but it won't stop me from holding them all!

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    There are very, very few people who can outshoot the majority of pistols on the market today. Let me repeat that, very, very few. 4" "spreads" at 25 yds is good even for experienced shooters, 4" groups at 25 yds for a novice with limited trigger time is hard to believe. Do you mean 25 ft?

If you're a novice holding 4" groups at 25 yds consistently, with the right gun and some training you should be fending off shooting sponsorships with a stick.
    Wasn't consistant at all, but it did happen so I'd assume it could happen again with a lot more practice. It was at 25 yds on a 8" shoot n c target with a sti 1911

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Your "gal" needs to go on a shoe allowance.
    You get a gun, she gets shoes &/or handbag.
    You get another gun, she gets a new pair of shoes,,,,,,,,,,Repeat process.

To answer your question;
    BROWNING HI-POWER
    If you are NOT going to carry it(or even if you will @ some point) it will make a great range pistol(accurate).
    HD-safe to have @ home.

PS;
    In this neck of the woods we are partial to M&P's.
    I know close to 8 people with one, in some caliber(9mm .40or .357 sig.) or size .
    The BHP and the M&P are on my list of 'next to shoot' and what do you mean by HD-safe? I know what the abbreviation is but what makes it more home defense safe than another gun?

If you're looking for a full sized 9mm, I'd suggest the Glock 34 and/or the Glock 17. Glocks are stone reliable, which is important since you will be using the gun for HD. I'd only consider something smaller (like the Glock 19) if you were planning to carry this firearm. Glocks are hard to beat and after-market products are nearly unlimited should you decide you want your gun to 'grow' with you as you continue to improve. With that said, out of the box these guns will be far more accurate than you'll ever be firing them by hand.

Glocks might not be pretty, but there's a reason they're so popular with LE, folks looking for a SD/HD weapon, and with competitive shooters. They're reasonably priced too.

If you have shot a Sig 226 a lot, and liked it - then just get one of those. They make lots of different types - if you're not going to carry it, consider the heavier all steel versions. The normal ones have an alloy frame. Heavier = your wife will enjoy shooting it more since recoil will be less noticeable.

P226 Black Stainless

Be sure to get some extra mags too.

Austin

First off hi, I'm new here...

...I honestly have no idea what I want...
    ...I'm not asking for a end-all here is the gun you should buy, but how do you guys at least begin to narrow it down.

Things I know for sure:
    Caliber: 9mm
    Use: Range/Home Defense
    Price Range: <$1000

What I know about myself
    I'll be unhappy with a gun that I can outshoot in a year or two...
    Welcome!

Here are a few thoughts, in no particular order. Not everyone is going to agree with them, but they draw upon almost 40 years of shooting experience:

IMHO, the best first choice for a handgun is a revolver. A mid-range 3" or 4" .357 is ideal. If I were starting over, I'd start with a 3" SP101. Learn basic gun-handling skills with a wheelgun, then look at semi-autos.

If you're absolutely set on a semi-auto, a 9mm is almost certainly the best choice.

$1000 is too much to spend on a first gun! Until you've got a better feel for what platform you're going to prefer, there's no point in tying up that much money in a gun you might find doesn't suit you needs. For $1000, you can buy a good entry-level revolver AND a very nice semi-auto.

For starting out, simpler is better. A single-action (only) semi-auto is a bad choice. I will get flamed for this, but it's true. As appealing as a nice 1911 or a P938 might be, you don't want to have to master its manual of arms for your first handgun. Best choice is a DAO striker-fired pistol. I'm very partial to M&P's & Kahrs, but Glocks, XD's, and several others are good options. Since you have no intention to CC, bigger is better than smaller. Think full-size M&P or XD, or a G17 or G19.

Unless you're planning to spend thousands of hours of range time, and tens of thousands of dollars on ammo, you will never be able to "outshoot" any modern, quality firearm. Ever. Not an issue!

So, if I were in your situation, I'd go get a 3" SP101, take it out & spend a few hundred practice rounds honing my shooting skills, then look for an M&P 9 or something similar. Between the two, they'll run you a little over $1000, but not by much. If you find either or both used, or start with a lower-end revolver (e.g. EAA, Rossi, etc.), you'll come in under $1000.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Regards,
    Jim
    Last edited by Kilowatt3; December 30th, 2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: 3", not 3' !

With a thousand dollars to spend, you want a 9MM high cap pistol that will fill what ever role eh?

My recomendation would be the "Browning High Power". Well proven platform, plenty of after market products available, all steel pistol, did I mention that they've been around a while?

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed

Try a Smith & Wesson Shield in 40 caliber. You'll be glad you did.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

I honestly have to parrot some of what Kilowatt says... For a first firearm I'd recomend an inexpensive police/security trade in revolver. A revolver is an easier, and much more forgiving platform for the inexperienced shooter. The revolver IMO requires a lesser level of dedication to maintenance, and care. IME the autoloader requires a much higher level of dedication to maintenance and upkeep. The manual of arms for the revolver is simple, and involves bery few steps. The manual of arms for either a striker fired , or a S/A or a S/A D/A autoloader is far more complicated.

Anyone can learn and master either, but as I say the auto-loader requires more time and dedication. Having said that I still recomend the Browning High Power as a good quality gun that meets your needs and is within your price range. It's obvious to me that your putting in a lot of research, and contemplation to your choice. Based on your questions and considerations I'm sure that you will put in the time and effort to learn safe firearm handling of any gun you choose.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

I don't have a VA license yet so I cannot buy handguns here yet, but it won't stop me from holding them all!
    Did you just move from out of state? Military? Otherwise, you do not need a license to purchase a firearm in VA
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Smith & Wesson M&P 9 all the way it's a great platform and a simple design that you can drive tacks with. It has a rail for mounting a weapon light and it is a very user friendly pistol, perfect for a range/home defense gun. And at half your price range you could buy his and hers and enjoy the range together. My wife and I just got into shooting and really enjoy range time together.

Or another option as I've seen you stated you preferred 9mm for cost of ammo, you could do what I did and buy a S&W M&P 40 and buy a 9mm M&P barrel and 9mm 17rd magazine and you can shoot 9mm through your .40 at the range and then put your 40 barrel and mag back in for home defense. You can purchase the 9mm S&W M&P factory barrel from MidwayUSA.com for $68 and a 9mm mag for $23 from botachtactical.com. Then you get two calibers out of one pistol.
    Last edited by guitarzNgunz; December 30th, 2012 at 08:07 AM.

The BHP and the M&P are on my list of 'next to shoot' and what do you mean by HD-safe? I know what the abbreviation is but what makes it more home defense safe than another gun?
    I think he was referring to a safe to store your firearm which I agree is very important to keep unauthorized users from obtaining your pistol.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    I think he was referring to a safe to store your firearm which I agree is very important to keep unauthorized users from obtaining your pistol.

^What I meant was^^^^^^^^^

That it could be cocked and locked and in a holster either on your person, or stored safely.
    Other firearms are safe as well, as others have pointed out.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links