First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed

This is a discussion on First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off hi, I'm new here. I've finally weathered my gal into letting me purchase a single handgun. I've done research on different guns for ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed

First gun questions and I'm overwhelmed

First off hi, I'm new here.

I've finally weathered my gal into letting me purchase a single handgun. I've done research on different guns for the last 2-3 years but I've never been able to sit down and pick one. I've gone to the range dozens of times shooting my friend's guns and I honestly have no idea what I want. I can list out all my criteria but the amount of choices is overwhelming and I don't want to make the mistake that I've made entering other hobbies with rushing into something that I don't end up wanting (wasting hundreds or thousands in the process)

I'm not asking for a end-all here is the gun you should buy, but how do you guys at least begin to narrow it down.

Things I know for sure:
    Caliber: 9mm
    Use: Range/Home Defense
    Price Range: <$1000

What I know about myself
    I'll be unhappy with a gun that I can outshoot in a year or two. I am able to shoot 4" spreads at 25 yds at the moment. I'm sure it's still me, but I'd like to be able to do that at 50 yards someday so I'd prefer to not jump at a gun that would never be able to accomplish that.

2. Remove Ads

There are many outstanding pistols in 9mm for about half of what your max budget is. I might suggest going to a range that rents pistols and perhaps asking if one of their range officers or employees can help you with the differing features/pros/cons of the different choices. You might find you don't want to go with the 9mm, and instead look at a .40, a .45, or even a revolver.

Good luck, and have fun with your selection process!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A range/home defense firearm under $1000 is a very large range of makes and models. And a 4" spread at 25 yards ain't hash. Your question is simply too wise open to answer with speciifics.

Do you have a preference toward plastic or steel? What sort of "amenities" do you think you'd like--external safety, ambidexterous controls, etc? Do you prefer a hammer or striker, double action, single action, both? Do you intent to carry at some point?

You've got to help us out here in order to get useful suggestions. Otherwise, you'll get a list of what each of us likes.
    oneshot likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Suggestions

I read your list of criteria, and it sounds like you want a full-size 9mm with a good reputation for accuracy, but under $1000. Some of the best 9mm target guns go well over $1000, such as the Sig P210 or high end 1911s in 9mm caliber. But there are some excellent 9mm guns under that level. I'd look for something with a longer barrel (4.5 inches plus), a light trigger and good target sights. One suggestion is the Sig P226. I have one, shown below, and it is a very accurate gun. You might also consider the longer barrel Glock model 34, which is an excellent target gun.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    I have to agree with Camjr, there are way too many that will fit your criteria and has been suggested find a range that rents guns and keep trying until you find one you like.
    tcox4freedom and quaf like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Check out the following link: The Handgun Information Resource.

You can do lots of comparing of handguns by different criteria, such as defense factor, concealibility, recoil factor. Just keep in mind these are all just paper comparisons, and you will be much happier if you are able to go to a range where you can try some of the weapons before you make your purchase.

Genitron also shows suggested retail price, but don't let that scare you. If you see a handgun you like, call around your local shops for pricing.

Another option would be to look on:

www.galleryofguns.com - Buy guns online, top brands, best price, best service, best warranty; all types of firearms: revolvers, rifles, pistols and shotguns.

or

Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

for pricing information. In your situation, however, I think you will be better off purchasing from your local gun shop, 'cause they will be there to help you learn.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    My gunsmith and one of the best shooters I know just got an M&P, seems like a popular choice lately. I'm too romantic for a polymer gun right now, I want my 1911s, but I think the M&P or a glock should work fine for you.

For $1,000 you should be able to get 2 pistols. Get one for the wife and go shooting together. Don't forget ammo costs. 9mm is far cheaper than .40 or .45. Perhaps your local gun store (LGS) can help you and rentals are available but not cheap to rent and most insist you use their ammo through the rental - and their ammo ain't cheap either. However, as expensive as renting might (or might not) be, it is far less expensive than buying a handgun you dislike.

Don't forget to shoot some revolvers. A nice .357 revolver will shoot the reasonable priced .38 Special ammunition. Accuracy is usually excellent and many folks feel there is an added bonus of pleasure from a nicely made revolver.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

I'm an M&P guy, but as stated above, you list of "must-haves" is far to wide. Please be more specific and we'd love to help. Also, welcome!
    oneshot likes this.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

M&P 9 or a Glock 19 and 1000 rounds of ammo is a good place to start.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Thanks for all of your replies I understand my criteria is so wide open so I'll try to answer some of your questions. Your questions alone remind me how much more research I should do before purchasing as I have not shot a wide range of SA or DA.

I've shot different calibers but mainly prefer the 9mm due to cost.
    I'd like something with either high capacity or easy reloads (sorry to the revolver fans)
    I'd prefer full size.
    No to carrying.

The P226 was what I was initially leaning toward as I have shot that the most, but since there is so much 'unknown' I am reluctant. They also make an X-Five version which I know little about. My local gun shop was pushing me toward the sig 1911's but I haven't shot those before either.

Nobody here, or anywhere else can answer this definitively for you, because it all comes down to personal likes and dislikes. You have enough money to get just about anything that's out there, short of the custom shop guns.

Visit a range with a knowledgeable shooter, and rent/fire a variety. Couple of them will impress you more than the others, and then you can make an educated decision. Good luck with your hunt, and welcome to our world. Be safe.
    sensei2 and tcox4freedom like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Take a look at the SIG 2022, way under your budget so you can get a holster and lots of ammo.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Find a gun store that has a range and rents guns. Try different types and models. Shoot what you are comfortable shooting...it feels comfortable in your hand and you are able to shoot accurately, buy that (model) gun.

After that look for a good holster (Uncle Mike's sucks--stay away from one-size-fits-none holsters)--it is a must. Consider leather and kydex equally--its personal preference, so you'll hear arguments for both. Second--find a good sturdy belt. Do a search here on what folks prefer/use.

Get some spare mags...

Seek training from a reputable instructor: work on marksmanship and then on weapon employment...learn how to carry loaded, draw, fire accurately.

My first gun was a P226/9mm...followed by a Ruger .22, SIG 229...yadda..yadda..yadda. The SIG X-Five is a competition gun...if you're going to go with SIG, go with the P-series
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Glock 19 for a first gun!!!
    BiggSlic, Fitch and blinkstafoo1 like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links