Ccw/range gun - Page 2

Ccw/range gun

This is a discussion on Ccw/range gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Ria is very reliable I would stick with either a commander or government sized as no matter how much you spend in my experiance ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ccw/range gun

The Ria is very reliable I would stick with either a commander or government sized as no matter how much you spend in my experiance the officers models are very touchy in other words keep barrel length either 4.25" or above

Quote Originally Posted by Sg89 View Post
    Thank yall for such quick replies! Ive handled a glock before but can't remember what model, what I do remember is that it felt like holding a 2x4! Also I'd absolutely love a 1911 but theyre a little pricey. I'm looking to spend around $550 tops, so the used market will be an option I'm thinkin.
    I hear ya. Glocks are nice, just a little too glocky...er, I mean blocky for my hand. I love me a fine 1911 as well, but for the budget you have, as well as your needs, you can't go wrong with a Springfield XD9 Service. 4" barrel is concealable with a wee bit of effort, feels better in the hand than the Glocks, has a high capacity (less time reloading mags at the range), and 9mm is cheaper than 45 (less $=more range time=more fun).

Thanks folks, I'm gonna go have a poke around my lgs soon and see what I can come up with!

I can only tell you what I shoot. I carry a Ruger sr9c. Easy to shoot and fun to shoot. I enjoy my time at the range a great deal. Not to hard to conceal. What you really need to do is go and shoot guns to decide what is right for you. Rather you rent them and use someone else's no one can tell you which gun is going to be the perfect gun for you.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

I agree with trying them first, but I don't have a range that rents guns anywhere near me. So I have to go off of feel in the store and friendly guidance from folks like y'all.

S&W M&P 9c. Great ergonomics. Good capacity (12+1). Very concealable. Fun to shoot.

M&p 9mm compact. Lightweight concealable. Mild recoil holds 12+1 and can use 17 round full size mags. I use mine for carry and shooting at our club.

Get the slimmest thing you can find, around 25 oz. or so, and I think that is the best comprimise you can do. If you go much over that, carrying isn't much fun, and if you go under 20 oz. shooting isn't much fun. So based on what you say you want, I'd look for something in that weight range. I personally like the Ruger SR9c. Good all-around gun. The Kahrs and LC9s are smaller, but the SR9c is quite a bit more gun, and more pleasant to shoot, and I also prefer it to my Glocks for carrying, as it has a more convenient shape. But that's just me, you need to see what works for you.

I would add another suggestion for the Ruger SR9C. Shoots great, 10 round and a 17 round magazine, minimal recoil for a 9mm. Very easy to conceal, and a pleasure to shoot!

I am a 1911 lover my main carry is a Valor Eco and an (older gen colt mustang), before that I carried a Colt Commander and before a glock 23. I think that a 1911 as your first handgun may not be the best alternative. Glock are fantastic guns. They are very inexpensive and you get a lot of reliability for a low price. I would recommend go with a glock 19. Not a really small gun but it is concealable. A glock 19 is a way better selection than any RIA. Also with a 9mm you will save money on ammo and perhaps you can get some good training and buy more ammo. It is very important to shoot more at the begining so you get confortable with the concept. Just my 2c. Good luck on your selection.

Bersa Thunder 380, good shooting, very accurate, dependable, easy to carry and can be had brand new from 270 - 300. It's not a 9mm, but 380s are not shabby little rounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links