Ccw/range gun

This is a discussion on Ccw/range gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im fairly new to handguns, I'm wanting something that's concealable but also fun to shoot. I've heard that most smaller guns have a decent amount ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ccw/range gun

Ccw/range gun

Im fairly new to handguns, I'm wanting something that's concealable but also fun to shoot. I've heard that most smaller guns have a decent amount of recoil, and have experienced it with rifles and shotguns. I know I want 9mm or 45 as ammo in my area in the calibers is easy to come by. I'm just looking for some suggestions of what to look at, and appreciate yalls time.

2. Remove Ads

I love the Walther PPS. It's light, and thin for carry, yet, it's fun to shoot and amazingly accurate.

Something like a a Glock 19 would be a good starting place. Mild recoil. Good capacity. Fairly cheap to shoot. Not what I would call small but it is concealable with slightly over sized clothes. Excellent quality. If you prefer a single action / double action trigger I would look at either a Sig 229 or 226 in 9mm.
    Brad426 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    In my experience the smaller they are the less fun they are to shoot. And the bigger they are the less easy they are to conceal. My most fun range gun has a 7 1/2" barrel. But it shoots so well that everyone wants to try it. My every day gun is a mid size, with a single stack magazine. Its flat enough to be easy to carry but has enough grip to let me get all three fingers on it. There are plenty of guns out there in both 9mm and 45 cal that will fit this. I have severe arthritis so I shoot a lesser caliber. I can still shoot a full sized gun just fine but the smaller guns are too hard for me to hang on to. DR

Any good 1911 can be had in your caliber easy to ccw and a blast to shoot part mags and holsters are every were makes a great general duty weapon. Other option would be any mid size glock would stay away from the 21 in 45 I'd go with the 36

MY suggestion would be the following:

Glock 19
    Glock 21
    Springfield Armory XD9
    Springfield Armory XD45
    M&P 9
    M&P45

There are many more. You will need to rent some out and try them at a range and choose. God Bless
    Brad426 likes this.

What he said^^^

Also, welcome aboard.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Welcome to the forum. GO BIG RED!
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

Thank yall for such quick replies! Ive handled a glock before but can't remember what model, what I do remember is that it felt like holding a 2x4! Also I'd absolutely love a 1911 but theyre a little pricey. I'm looking to spend around $550 tops, so the used market will be an option I'm thinkin.

You could get a new rock island armory in your price range. May not be the best but you can tune as you go and make it whatever you want. Easily customizable and generally excellent shooters.

Buds guns has 9mm RIA's for 401 and 45s for 419

All I can tell you is that a lot of gun ranges have a good selection of weapons to rent. Try a few and see how they feel when you fire them.

Good luck.

And Welcome from Hurst, Texas.

Concealable is going to depend on a lot of things, size / weight / clothing choices, you get the idea but there's some good ideas posted above.
    Fun to shoot, A handful of us just had a similar conversation a few days ago and a good idea was brought up, Glock and a 22 conversion kit, Glock for carry and 22 conversion kit for fun factor (or when cash is low for ammo).
    Just one more option among many.
    Carry Always, Carry Safe
    csholsters.com

The RIA compact looks cool, are these reliable for ccw? I've never seen them before and compared to other brands they have a great price. For the price it could possibly make a good gun to build on as well?

Springfield Armory xdm 9mm 3.8 compact. Concealable and brings both a13 and 19 round magazines. Very accurate, fun,a and as r reliable as they get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links