First carry choice for wife? - Page 2

First carry choice for wife?

This is a discussion on First carry choice for wife? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MamaMaria Well, this lady prefers semi-auto over revolvers (personal preference only). However, I've shot both the Airweight 642 and a heavier, all ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First carry choice for wife?

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post
    Well, this lady prefers semi-auto over revolvers (personal preference only). However, I've shot both the Airweight 642 and a heavier, all steel snub nose (can't remember the model) in .38. I can say for me, I would most definitely choose an all steel snub nose over the 642 (or similar lightweight LCR). When carried, the weight is a non-issue, but the heavier the better for shoot-ability and comfort.

As someone with intermittent carpal-tunnel issues in my left wrist, I understand the issues with racking the slide. I found the Sig P238 super easy to rack, no problems, no pain. It's certainly worth looking at that model as well. I think you're doing great, I don't think you're "dumbing it down" for your wife at all. Your wife favors the .38, so it makes sense to look at revolvers. Have her look at a few semi-auto as well. Either one will call her name, or it will cement her decision toward a revolver, if that's the case. Good luck.
    A very good point which is often overlooked. You want your wife to be able to shoot the gun well, and with the most amount of control as possible. The more recoil that the mass and weight of a heavier gun can absorb, the more benefit you get in controllability.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    My wife does the exact same thing. She takes the gun in a strong firing grip and locks her wrist solidly. She then takes her weak hand over the top of the slide and grasps the slide. Then she shoves her whole shooting arm and shoulder forward (her wrist remains in a locked position), while keeping a solid grip on the slide with her weak hand to very effectively "rack the slide" to chamber a round.
    Yep, same here. I've got intermittent issues in my left wrist only, so "punching" the frame forward works great to prevent aggravating an old injury. It's definitely something that requires practice, it seems very awkward at first. I've been able to move up from a Sig P238 (very easy slide to work, by the way) to a Springfield XD-s in .45ACP, which has an extremely stiff recoil spring and slide by perfecting this technique.

To the OP, I'm not advocating a semi-auto (ok, maybe a little, but I'm biased ) for your wife, just pointing out that if she grows to prefer them, there are techniques and work-arounds for many strength issues we ladies may face.
    Bark'n likes this.

I'll tell you I have an old Taurus .38 snub nose special. Nice little gun. Easy to use, once you get use to the trigger. Accurate and easy to conceal. I haven't carried it since I got use to my Ruger sr9c but it is still a nice little gun and I enjoy shooting it at the range from time to time.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

S&W .380 Bodyguard. Honest, it's unlikely she will ever become a regular shooter and for self defense it probably isn't necessary that she becomes one. For women the fight will almost always start at close to contact distance. Most women view carrying a pistol the same way they view taking out the garbage, they don't want to do it but it needs to be done. Racking the slide is of little importance, you do it for her. It would be best avoid small revolvers, they are to bulky. Auto's with manual safeties are also best avoided, keep it simple, point gun, pull trigger. The closer you can get to a pistol that she can forget she is carrying the more likely she is to carry it.

I've gone through this with the women in my life enough times that I'm starting to figure some of it out. Good luck.

I can only tell you what works well for my wife. Semi auto's are great but can malfunction and although my wife should practice, practice, and practice, the reality is she won't. This does not mean she is not a good shot or not capable of protecting herself with her ccw, but she would not be able to quickly dealwith a semi auto malfunction. For this reason, she choose the s&w hammerless airweight 38 with subsonic rounds. The benefit to the hammerless revolver is that it can shoot all rounds from inside her purse, if needed. This is not ideal, but if she is in the parking lot and feels the need (possible threat), she can place one hand inside her purse on the pistol. If this is a real threat and an attack starts to take place, she is able to point and shoot even before being able to draw the pistol from her purse. I did add the larger grip to the pistol, and it is very easy to carry even in the front pocket of my jeans.

Her revolver is the s&w 642, but I also like the model 638 and the bodyguard 38.

Hope this helps

This thread is very interesting to me as we are beginning to try to find a carry weapon for my wife as well. I have one specific question to those females who carry something like the Sigs mentioned earlier in the thread. Does the external hammer bother you? Not knowing too much about pistols at this point, I would think the external hammer would be something that could get caught or snagged, especially if the female decides to toss it into her purse when clothing doesn't allow carrying on body.

I've also got a P238. Compared to my bigger guns, the slide seems VERY easy to rack. I carry it cocked and locked in a variety of holsters but most frequently a Remora. I love the way it shoots.

Everything I own has an exposed hammer, so I guess I am used to that. I don't purse carry very often. I do need some more practice drawing, but during the practicing I have done at home, I haven't had any snags yet.

But I also agree with the posters who say the tiniest guns aren't great for beginners. They seem to be very attractive to most of my women friends, and they are easier to conceal, but they are not always fun to shoot. The 238 was an exception which is why I bought it after trying out a PPK, LCP and Bodyguard.

Of course this is why you need a bigger carry gun and an ultra-concealable gun. Maybe a range gun too. :D

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I'd advise against a DAO revolver. We have an SP101 with a spurless hammer and my wife has to struggle to pull the trigger. She likes the trigger on my New Agent much better. Seems like the Sig P238 is a good place to start.

If you haven't trained her to shoot, I'd suggest you get your wife some qualified instruction which is available from the NRA and many local gunshops.

Find a pistol that fits her hand, is at least 9mm and has good ergonomics.

Take a hard look at the 9mm Walther PPS. This pistol has been on the market for years and is fully vetted as one of the best subcompact handguns available.
    (Google it.)

I've had one for 4 yrs. and my PPS is very accurate, easy to shoot well and absolutely devours any ammo (fmj/jhp) I've fed it.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

My SO is starting to come around to the idea of getting a small firearm for CC since she occasionally closes a retail store in the late evening. She hasn't made the decision to do so yet, but I've been giving what firearm to get her a little thought (she would never be bothered with research or even really trying out different guns, she'd just look at them and say "that one" ).

The Sig P238 crossed my mind for some of the reasons that have already been brought up, but owning a Colt Pocketlite Mustang (what the Sig 238 is based off), I'm not sure I would want to give it to her for use in a highly stressed SD situation. Why? Despite its small size, it's somewhat easily snagged while drawing. Not good for someone that will not practice drawing it and likely not carry it in the same location/manor all the time. The next issue is it's fairly complicated for a novice being that it's basically a mini 1911 single action. Complicated is not good in a panic situation. In order for it to be 'ready' for close range SD (where most women would likely need a firearm), it basically needs to be carried "cocked and locked". I'm not sure how comfortable I am with her walking around with a pistol possibly floating around in her purse or on herself in this condition. I'd hate to arm her and have her end up inadvertently injuring herself or someone else because a cocked and locked single action pistol accidentally discharged due to poor storage habits or out of carelessness. It wouldn't take much to accidentally unlock the safety on one of these guns and then have an accidental discharge while shuffling around looking for her keys. Lastly, that same safety in a panic situation could (would?) likely get forgotten and that might get ugly very quickly. I just don't think a 1911 based gun is ideal for a novice or for someone that wont practice and train with it on a frequent basis.

I don't want to belittle her or make her seem like an idiot, but I know she will not spend a lot of time training and practicing with the gun as she doesn't have the interest in it like we do... but she is an attractive woman and an easy target for getting mugged (or worse) so while I'd love to see her not risking the danger of having a loaded firearm in her possession, I agree she's probably safer with it than without it. So if not the Sig238 (or my Colt Mustang), then what would be better suited for her?

I think the ideal firearm for her would be something that is very simplistic and foolproof, is easily drawn, and is not easily accidentally discharged. I'm much more of a semi-auto pistol fan than I am a wheel gun man, but I think a nice double action small framed revolver with a bobbed or hammer-less design probably makes the most sense for her. They are simple, pretty safe, fast, and there's very little to remember to operate one in a panic situation and at the end of the day that's what's important.

I'll take her to the LGS and let her see what she thinks. If she's not feeling the revolver and is hell-bent on a semi-auto pistol, I will suggest a small .380 or even 9mm, but it will be a clean, no safety, striker fire pistol, with a decent amount of trigger throw... like a Kahr CM9 or one of the little Diamondbacks. Maybe even a sub compact Glock if she feels it's not too bulky. I know she could rack the slide, but I would have one in the chamber for her so it was ready to deploy if needed.

Either way I'm letting her make the decision to want to carry and although I'll steer her on selecting a firearm, the final choice will be hers. After that I'll make sure she at least periodically goes to the range with me from time to time to hone skills and to stay at least somewhat intimate with the gun. I hope it's never needed, but I would feel better knowing she had it and knew the basics of safely using it.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Nothing but trouble teaching my wife to shoot my 442 .38 revolver. I really dont enjoy it much either.

My wife loves her 9mm s&w shield and shoots it well. The slide is a bit tough to manipulate due to its short spring but its worth a try if you can find one.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I got my better half a SW model 351 scandium revolver in 22 mag. seven shots, weighs less than 10 oz., and very low recoil. shooting double action is simple- the manual of arms is "pull the trigger". the 22 mag is quite potent at close ranges with the new defensive ammo, and the noise is horrendous- that thing is loud. this is also a very desirable feature from my viewpoint- attract attention as much as possible. this seems to work. she is very recoil sensitive.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Wow thanks for the great responses. Let me clarify the issue with her wrist. It's not the motion that is the problem. She has an issue that does not allow a firm grip with her left thumb.

I caught her holster shopping today. She was watching videos on YouTube about girls concealed carry options. She confirmed today that she is much more comfortable with the revolver. Less to worry about going wrong.

I took a friend to the range tonight. The girl next to us was shooting an older j frame snubby. The girl shooting it had said her carry loads were much lighter loads however I am not sure of any specifics.

Unfortunately they did not have any on the rental wall. I am going to check with a few other ranges in the area. She needs to spend a day at the range playing.

I would not buy a gun without her pulling the trigger so to speak. I do however want to give her a handful of solid options instead of just letting her wander aimlessly through unfamiliar territory. Most new gun buyers are completely overwhelmed by options, she is no different.

The lighter loads are an option for practice however I would think you want the standard round for carry.

My wife is deadly with anything in our safe . 12 ga , center fire and rimfire rifles , and all pistols from .44mag to .22 . She has wrist/thumb issues that give her problems with racking the full frame .45 autos . That led us to buying a pair of CA Undercover .38+p's. Her's goes where she goes as does mine and she loves it . We regularly practice in our back yard 7yd and less pd range . double action only . 5 in a paper plate in a tight group satisfies me and her when triggered rapid fire .
    I did paint the front sight with fluorescent green nail polish to facilitate front sight acquisition .

guns 002.jpg As you can see in the picture ,my wife carry's S&W Lady Smith 38 special. I thought it would easier to carry without worring about malfunctions. Its small to carry...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links