First carry choice for wife?

This is a discussion on First carry choice for wife? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys and gals. I have a question for you ladies and/or spoken for men. My wife seems to finally be coming around to the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First carry choice for wife?

Hi guys and gals. I have a question for you ladies and/or spoken for men.

My wife seems to finally be coming around to the idea of carrying. I want to get her something she can call her own.

I have an assortment of handguns however she needs a gun that is her gun. The only guns of mine she cares for are my s&w .38 revolver (old full frame) and a little beretta jet fire .25.

Her reasoning is pretty simple. The jet fire is tiny and has a flip up barrel. The revolver is simple and easy to use. She has a problem with her wrist which limits her ability to rack a slide so most auto's are out of the picture.

So I am leaning towards a ruger lcr or similar small frame revolver.

What other options are worth looking into?

Ladies, what are your opinions on small revolvers? I hope she does not think I am trying to dumb it down for her. That is not the case, however I have heard that argument before.

Thanks.
    Thomas

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Hi,a Ruger LCR with standard 38 Special loads, even the Wad-Cutter loads if you can find them.

Unlike other aluminum or steel framed Snub Nosed revolvers, the polymer LCR doesn't recoil much
    and you don't get the feeling of a piece of metal slamming into your palm.

Others can probably tell you the same.

The small revolvers like the Ruger LCR .38 and the S&W 642 .38 are a bit snappy. If she's been used to shooting your full size S&W .38 revolver, I'm afraid the recoil is much less than she will experience with the LCR .38 and the 642 .38...

I may get flamed for this, but have her look/hold/hopefully fire a Ruger LCR .22 revolver and the Taurus PT22 which has a flip up barrel. Both should be fairly easy on her wrists. I have the Ruger LCR .22 and it's a great lil revolver and I bought my daughter a Taurus PT 22, which she loves ... Have had no problems with either weapon.

Bottom line, hopefully you can find a range for her to shoot several weapons. LET HER MAKE HER OWN CHOICE!!! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I'm surprised ... the LCR .38Sp with the tamer grips works great for the wife.

"Bottom line, hopefully you can find a range for her to shoot several weapons. LET HER MAKE HER OWN CHOICE!!! JMO"

Best advice for sure it won't be "her" gun if you pick it out.

J

Sig P238

There is one semi auto that I would recommend for your wife, the Sig P238. This is a 15 ounce, aluminum framed .380 with light recoil and a slide that is easily racked. The gun is not of the usual .380 blowback design, which requires a heavy recoil spring, but rather of the tilting barrel design which uses a much lighter recoil spring. Many women use the gun for this reason. It gives you 6+1 rounds with the flush fitting magazine or 7+1 rounds with the supplied extended magazine. It has a thumb safety and single action trigger, so every trigger pull feels the same. The gun is very well made by Sig, and copies the old Colt Mustang design from 25 years ago.

1911_Kimber likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Re: First carry choice for wife?

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    There is one semi auto that I would recommend for your wife, the Sig P238. This is a 15 ounce, aluminum framed .380 with light recoil and a slide that is easily racked. The gun is not of the usual .380 blowback design, which requires a heavy recoil spring, but rather of the tilting barrel design which uses a much lighter recoil spring. Many women use the gun for this reason. It gives you 6+1 rounds with the flush fitting magazine or 7+1 rounds with the supplied extended magazine. It has a thumb safety and single action trigger, so every trigger pull feels the same. The gun is very well made by Sig, and copies the old Colt Mustang design from 25 years ago.

Pogo hit this one out of the park! I agree and whole heartedly recommend the Sig P238. My wife loves hers.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Cool

Stainles steel 649-2 .38 spl. with Pachmayr Compact Grips in a Coronada Leather handgun purse is my wife's personal choice after trying other revolvers and semi-auto's.

She shot the Glock 19 extreamly well but could not work the slide for malfunction drills.

photo.jpgget-attachment.aspx.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post
    "Bottom line, hopefully you can find a range for her to shoot several weapons. LET HER MAKE HER OWN CHOICE!!! JMO"

Best advice for sure it won't be "her" gun if you pick it out.
    +1 for letting her pick it out. I shot several of my husband's guns as well as many, many at our indoor range and finally settled on two that I carry regularly, Sig P238 and a Glock 19 Gen 4. Neither were initially recommended for me but I did some reading, rented both several times and the rest is history.

My wife chose and loves the LCR.

As was said before, use your knowledge to find out what is important to her and feel free to provide suggestions of things that you think she'd be interested in. However, all that should be done before hand. When you get to the gun shop, move aside and let her make the decision once there.

I've been thinking about a S&W .38 Airweight for my wife.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

VIP Member
    I'm leery of pushing a small frame ultra lite gun at relatively new shooters. You will want her to have a gun she enjoys shooting, not something that she doesn't like shooting due to the recoil. I'd recommend she look at and shoot the SP101. Bottom line though, is give her options to look at and try, then sit back and let her decide which is the right one for her.
    GH and scgunlover1 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post

Or get the Sig P938 which is a 9mm.

Sig P938 bi-tone.jpg
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Problem with the wrist - she has tried and confirmed she cannot rack a slide? I'm small-wristed and I never use my wrists to rack. My wrist is kept straight and I move my arm and shoulder instead. Maybe she can practice with one of those wrist braces (you can get them at Walgreens). Without being able to move her wrist, she'll learn to adapt to move her arms and shoulders instead.

For reasons already stated by other posters, I'm not keen on lightweight revolvers for new shooters. We want her to enjoy the experience and keep on shooting; if a lightweight revolver is too punchy to shoot, she may not care to even go to the range to get proficient. If you are going the small revolver route, I'll keep to a steel body to help keep the kick down. It won't be as light, but there will always be some compromise she will have to make if she is serious about her safety. And tell her not to worry; she won't have to look like a garbage bag to conceal a gun. I'll be happy to give any advice I can. I'm not too far away.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Problem with the wrist - she has tried and confirmed she cannot rack a slide? I'm small-wristed and I never use my wrists to rack. My wrist is kept straight and I move my arm and shoulder instead. Maybe she can practice with one of those wrist braces (you can get them at Walgreens). Without being able to move her wrist, she'll learn to adapt to move her arms and shoulders instead.

For reasons already stated by other posters, I'm not keen on lightweight revolvers for new shooters. We want her to enjoy the experience and keep on shooting; if a lightweight revolver is too punchy to shoot, she may not care to even go to the range to get proficient. If you are going the small revolver route, I'll keep to a steel body to help keep the kick down. It won't be as light, but there will always be some compromise she will have to make if she is serious about her safety. And tell her not to worry; she won't have to look like a garbage bag to conceal a gun. I'll be happy to give any advice I can. I'm not too far away.
    My wife does the exact same thing. She takes the gun in a strong firing grip and locks her wrist solidly. She then takes her weak hand over the top of the slide and grasps the slide. Then she shoves her whole shooting arm and shoulder forward (her wrist remains in a locked position), while keeping a solid grip on the slide with her weak hand to very effectively "rack the slide" to chamber a round.

Presently her carry guns are an SP-101 and the Ruger LCP in .380. But she is wanting to get a M&P Shield in 9mm since she has no problems with mine.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    Hi guys and gals. I have a question for you ladies and/or spoken for men.

My wife seems to finally be coming around to the idea of carrying. I want to get her something she can call her own.

I have an assortment of handguns however she needs a gun that is her gun. The only guns of mine she cares for are my s&w .38 revolver (old full frame) and a little beretta jet fire .25.

Her reasoning is pretty simple. The jet fire is tiny and has a flip up barrel. The revolver is simple and easy to use. She has a problem with her wrist which limits her ability to rack a slide so most auto's are out of the picture.

So I am leaning towards a ruger lcr or similar small frame revolver.

What other options are worth looking into?

Ladies, what are your opinions on small revolvers? I hope she does not think I am trying to dumb it down for her. That is not the case, however I have heard that argument before.

Thanks.
    Thomas
    Well, this lady prefers semi-auto over revolvers (personal preference only). However, I've shot both the Airweight 642 and a heavier, all steel snub nose (can't remember the model) in .38. I can say for me, I would most definitely choose an all steel snub nose over the 642 (or similar lightweight LCR). When carried, the weight is a non-issue, but the heavier the better for shoot-ability and comfort.

As someone with intermittent carpal-tunnel issues in my left wrist, I understand the issues with racking the slide. I found the Sig P238 super easy to rack, no problems, no pain. It's certainly worth looking at that model as well. I think you're doing great, I don't think you're "dumbing it down" for your wife at all. Your wife favors the .38, so it makes sense to look at revolvers. Have her look at a few semi-auto as well. Either one will call her name, or it will cement her decision toward a revolver, if that's the case. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links