Sig 239

Sig 239

This is a discussion on Sig 239 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, my employing agency finally decided to issue some guidance to us re: HR 218 and off-duty carry, and it was good news. We can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 239

Sig 239

So, my employing agency finally decided to issue some guidance to us re: HR 218 and off-duty carry, and it was good news. We can carry a personally-owned weapon for self-defense off-duty if we so choose; the duty gun is a SIG 229, and I was considering a 3" Ruger SP101 or a SIG 239.

The 239 won out, b/c I decided it'd be much smarter to have a gun with an identical manual-of-arms than to throw something different in the mix at the worst possible moment.

However, I just went and checked one out at a (semi-) local gun shop, and I have to say I was a little disappointed. Not in the quality of the gun, mind you...it seemed like another superb SIG...but that it was fairly large. Not really substantially smaller than my 229, probably not small enough to make me fork over any more cash for it.

I don't really have an issue concealing the 229, but thought this would be significantly thinner, being a single-stack, and be much lighter. Felt GREAT in my hands, though, as single-stacks always do. Grip was a bit short, but the mag really helped, as did the finger grooves on the crimson trace grips (only model in stock...wasn't really shopping for them).

Other really odd thing from a design standpoint was the rounded trigger guard. Why have a flat, stippled front guard on the bigger guns, but not on the small ones where your fingers are going to be more cramped?

Incidentally, I noticed something about laser sights in general. I'd never much bought into them for a number of reasons, but they DO offer one thing...you look at the target instead of your front sight. That is kinda cool for defense situations.

So I'm still mulling it over, but I think I'm still going to be a one-gun man from here on.

AX

I felt the same way you do now...re: P239 vs 229...however, I borrowed my Dad's P239 (in 9mm, vs my 229/.40)--and now I can't wait to get a P239/.40--as they are the same dimensions.

I don't worry too much about the front of the trigger guard, and the grip fits my hand like a glove w/the standard mag.

I recommend, if you can, borrow a friend's P239 (if he will let you)--you might change your mind.

VIP Member
    There is not a lot of difference in the size of the P229 and the P239, but it can be significant. The 229 in .5" longer, .3" wider, .3" taller, and 4.5 oz. heavier.

229 239
    Length 7.1" 6.6"
    Width 1.5" 1.2"
    Height 5.4" 5.1"
    Weight 32 oz. 27.5 oz.

These are for the 9mm. I do not do very well with pistols that use double stack mags. The P239 is just right for me. If you can use the P229, I think that I would use it for my off duty weapon as well. There is not enough difference to make it worth while to invest in a P239. I have wondered about the trigger guard myself. The P230 .380 cal. has the same trigger guard, but I don't understand why they are different. My wife and I both carry P239s and love them.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

The first thing I discovered after I bought my P239 was that if I tried to use my support hand index finger in front of the trigger guard I had a bunch of digits all in one place that made a clean, unimpeded trigger pull almost impossible for me so Sig may be trying to dicourage the practice with this pistol. I think the thinner grip gets together with the size of my hand so as to involve my support hand thumb with my trigger finger. I changed my grip to keep that side under the trigger guard and things have improved. I'm hoping that things keep improving because the Finance Committee will have a duck if I have to bring up Walnut Nills at the next Finance Conference...

Lead Moderator
    I've got a 239 (in 9 mm) and think the world of it. Another popular thing to try is a 239 with the Houge finger grooved grips. Makes the gun feel like an extension of your hand.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I plan on buying a 239 to augment my 220. I don't see myself wanting to carry the 229 or 226 over my 220 as they are both heavier and thicker. The 239's a little thinner and alot shorter in height and length over the 220. Granted a Kahr P9 would be alot easier to carry, but you don't get the same quality IMO. I wish Sig would make a true pocket pistol in at least 380 but better would be 9mm. Then I wouldn't have a need for any other brand of handgun. I won't hold my breath.

'75scout, how about the 232 still to big for your taste?

Website says its same thickness as the 239. I think the height and length were nearly the same too. But its a very light gun and smooth angles too. Still like to see something from them in the size range of a micro Kahr or Rohrbaugh.

I love my P239 9mm,It is 100% reliable and way more accurate than it should be.I carry mine in a MS VM2 and I forget its there.Those single stack mags are alot easier to conceal than double stacks also.I carry my mags in MS IPD and IPS carriers, I believe I can carry two mags for the 239 more comfortably and more concealed than I can carry one doublestack mag.IMHO

P229 vs. P239 in size

I own a P229 and have handled several P239s. I also noticed that there wasn't that much size or weight difference between them, and confirmed this once by going to the Sig website and studying the specs on the two guns. My impression was that the P239 is about 90% of the size of the P229, in rough terms.

The P229 is a great gun, but fairly thick and heavy compared to some alternatives with similar magazine capacity. If you want something appreciably smaller (but still in a significant caliber) for off duty carry, you might have to go to a polymer frame gun with a short barrel. One I would look at is the H&K P2000sk, which would give you 9+1 rounds of .40 caliber in a 21 ounce gun with a 3.27 inch barrel

Deffently try one , and the Hogue grips improve the handling of this hand gun.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I'm not saying it's not a great gun...I thought it handled really well. (I think the finger grooves on the grips were really good for this smaller frame, too.) In the end, though, it's just not that much different than having the 229 on my waist, and both put the same product downrange. And I'd rather have my familiar duty gun on than any other make.

Plus, there are some leftover legal questions, where we *speculate* the duty gun will help keep the agency behind you if anything goes bad, rather than telling you it was your gun and you're on your own. Again, it's speculation, but I'd rather be on the safe side given the minimal difference in the guns. Kind of a bummer, but I don't want to be a test case. (I'd also rather be a test case than a dead case, but the 229 will do just fine to minimize the chances of that happening...)

Still, I did like it. If I come across a used one for a low cost, or the LE price ends up being good enough, I'll consider it, just for when I'm less-dressed and looking for max concealment. And the more I think about how nice it felt in my hand...

AX

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    In the end, though, it's just not that much different than having the 229 on my waist, and both put the same product downrange. And I'd rather have my familiar duty gun on than any other make.
    Can't argue with that. I'd like to get a 229 sooner or later. As far as CC, Chris carries a 226 and swears by it. It's all what you are comfortable with. A good holster helps too.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I had a 239 for several years and it was a hell of a great gun. My buddy had a 229 and it was also a wonderful piece. IMO the 239 is quite a bit easier to conceal than the 229. I had Hogue grips on mine as well and they make the gun feel like an extension of your hand. As for the trigger guard IMO a rounded on is better. I had a Beretta 96 Elite and it's flat trigger guard got me into the awful habit of putting my support hand index finger there when shooting. It took me a while to stop doing that after getting rid of the beretta.

Does anyone have picture of the 239 next to the 229?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links