Bought Two New Guns Today

This is a discussion on Bought Two New Guns Today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jofrdo ... The salesmen at the store pooh poohed getting nightsites on the little Beretta, since "it's a point-and-shoot gun and you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought Two New Guns Today

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    ... The salesmen at the store pooh poohed getting nightsites on the little Beretta, since "it's a point-and-shoot gun and you don't even use the sites."
    I recently got myself an Inox Tomcat for pocket carry. This gun is very accurate (as one would expect from a well-made DA/SA blowback) and is tons of fun to shoot rapidly since the muzzle rise is slight. The Tomcat is neat in that it has so many features of some full sized pistols, like DA/SA operation, a manual safety, and a safe decocking procedure (tilt the barrel before dropping the hammer).

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Enjoy your purchases!

I don't want to be a downer, but I could've sworn I read in a thread on a different forum that someone claimed the Tomcat .32 was designed and capable of firing only a 1000 rounds or something crazy. That it would wear out after some paltry number. It's a vicious rumor, and I would like to not have to believe it, but I have, essentially, only the say-so of those more knowledgeable than I am about guns to go by. (That means most of you, by the way!)

Any more to that? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Enjoy your purchases!

I don't want to be a downer, but I could've sworn I read in a thread on a different forum that someone claimed the Tomcat .32 was designed and capable of firing only a 1000 rounds or something crazy. That it would wear out after some paltry number. It's a vicious rumor, and I would like to not have to believe it, but I have, essentially, only the say-so of those more knowledgeable than I am about guns to go by. (That means most of you, by the way!)

Any more to that? Anyone?
    The way I understand it is that the early production Tomcats were significantly thinner than today's version, which some people call the widebody Tomcat. I think Beretta went to the thicker, stronger frame to improve the durability of the pistol. From what I have read, it seems like the widebodys hold up quite well. I ended going with the Inox (stainless steel) version, which is about 0.05 inches wider and 2 ounces heavier than the blue or black versions.

Owners' reviews at HandgunReview.com don't mention anything about a limited life. They all say that the Tomcat shoots reliably without jams of any kind.

The salesman who sold me my Tomcat showed me that the stainless version is wider due to thicker walls in the firing chamber. I'm speculating that there may have been a reliability issue with early stainless steel versions.

Cocked and Locked Tomcat Carry

One of you responded to something I said about carrying the Tomcat cocked and locked to achieve single action trigger pull on the first shot, saying that Beretta warns against this. I think thats just their lawyers speaking, since their manual also warns about even carrying it loaded!

There is an optional carry state in between full double action and cocked and locked single action. The Tomcat's hammer can be half-cocked so that the first trigger pull is double action firm, but shorter than full double-action. Half-cocked with the manual safety on is how I would carry the Tomcat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links