Bought Two New Guns Today

This is a discussion on Bought Two New Guns Today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm excited to share that I bought two new guns today. The first is a Glock 23 in .40 S&W with Meprolight night sites (2 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought Two New Guns Today

Bought Two New Guns Today

I'm excited to share that I bought two new guns today. The first is a Glock 23 in .40 S&W with Meprolight night sites (2 green dots rear; 1 orange dot front) while the second is a Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP also with tritium nightsites.

The Glock will be my primary carry gun and will offer the performance necessary to allow me to consider shooting in IDPA competitions (once I get holster, spare mags and mag holsters; more $$$!). I'm probably going to equip it with lasergrips in the near future. It will replace a 9 mm Kel-Tec P11 whose double action trigger prevented me from shooting accurately.

The Beretta will be for my wife, Nancy, to encourage her to shoot more frequently (small caliber = low recoil = less reluctance to practice) and to get her carry permit. The salesmen at the store pooh poohed getting nightsites on the little Beretta, since "it's a point-and-shoot gun and you don't even use the sites." But Nancy is not a point-and-shoot shooter; she'll want the sites and I want her to be able to see them whenever the occasion arises. Later on, she may not need the sites, but for now, I'm willing to pay the premium for that option. The Tomcat is a good gun for a lady. Many of them dislike semi-autos because it is so hard to manually rack the slide to load the first round out of a magazine. The Tomcat has a tilt up barrel so you can manually load a round into the chamber without working the slide, and then take the first shot with a double-action trigger pull. Subsequent shots are single action. You also have the option of cocking it and carrying it in single action mode with the safety on.

I'll have to buy her a pocket holster for purse carry or a purse with a holster built in (again, more $$$. Ain't it great).

2. Remove Ads

Seems you put a lot of thought into your choices.

I've never shot the Tomcat so I can't commit on that one, but the Glock 23 is my favorite model. I agree with you on the night sights for both guns. I have them on my carry guns and appreciate being able to confirm the exact direction the barrel is pointing at night.

Congrats on the new acquisitions.
    "If you can't place your shots on a non-moving piece of paper, how much more difficult will it be when that piece of paper becomes a 3-time felon whose sole purpose is to avoid going back to prison no matter what happens and no matter who gets in the way?"

Taken from a posting by "Deadmeat 2"

tell her to watch out for the slide.....that lil bugger can bite HARD!...lol. i know my wife has one. fun to shoot but man it has some teeth.

The 23 is my primary, and the Beretta is my pocket backup! Great choices. I have a drop in .357 Sig barrel for the 23 also. A lot of punch, and very little change in recoil.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Congrats on the new pistols! Gee, now comes the hard part of all that time on the range, too bad....

Looked at a Tomcat for a pocket pistol once but my hands were too big for it. Seemed like a well made little bugger though!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Good thing you went ahead and bought the Tomcat just for her. Mine was commandeered within 3 hours of purchase. :)

Congrats...

on the new 'arrivals'.

I bought my wife a little S/W Snubby .38, but she is sort of looking at the 'lonely' KelTec .32 in the safe...

Having my 3 .45's and 2 9mm's, the KelTec stays in the safe or on the book shelf near the front door. I would love to see her start keeping Mr. KT with her ALL of the time!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

that's great congrats on the purchases

Administrator
    The "Tip Up Barrel" - Berettas are great reliable little firearms.

They really are super sweet little "close up" defensive pistols.

Beretta really has the bugs worked out of getting those diminutive handguns to feed & function flawlessly.

I used to try to get one to jam & couldn't ever make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    The salesmen at the store pooh poohed getting nightsites on the little Beretta, since "it's a point-and-shoot gun and you don't even use the sites." But Nancy is not a point-and-shoot shooter; she'll want the sites and I want her to be able to see them whenever the occasion arises. Later on, she may not need the sites, but for now, I'm willing to pay the premium for that option.
    Good for her, and good for you!

Congratulations, and good shooting!

Stay safe!

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I have a little tomcat. great gun.
    BUT... i do not think you can carry it cocked and locked, so to speak! carry it with a chambered round, on safe, with the hammer just off the pin- a sort of half cocked position. this is described in several manuals i have. in this state, the first shot is still double action. if the hammer is hit, the gun will not go off (in theory!). but do not carry it fully cocked. the beretta manual has dire warnings about that. the mechanism is not like a 1911.
    be safe and God BLess you both.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    The 23 is my primary, and the Beretta is my pocket backup! Great choices. I have a drop in .357 Sig barrel for the 23 also. A lot of punch, and very little change in recoil.
    That drop in barrel for the 23c of mine makes that little puppy sing.

Picked up the new guns

I picked up my new guns today. I thought the dealer was going to have installed the Meprolight sights on the Glock before calling me to come get them, but their policy is that they wonít do any work on a gun until it is paid for. Since I had only put down a deposit last week, they didnít do the work so I left the gun with their gunsmith. I would have had to leave it with him even if I had not ordered the aftermarket sights, since the factory front sight was lying loose in the box; very strange.

Buying one gun at a dealer subjects me to a Virginia State Police criminal background check, but a multiple gun purchase (illegal witout a valid Concealed Handgun Permit) means the federal BATF gets a report and now knows all about me and what I bought, so when the Democrats take back the Congress and pass gun ban laws, the BATF will be able to come confiscate mine.

I gave my wife her Beretta Tomcat. She liked it a lot, seemed to really appreciate its features, and is suddenly anxious to get it to the range and to apply for her CHP, both of which were my hopes in buying the gun for her. She knows I did a lot of research in selecting the Tomcat, but feels that she would have liked to have been part of the selection process. Thatís why I never buy her jewelry; sheís so particular that I can never make the right decision. Now itís time to shop for one or two of Galcoís purses with built-in holster; Iíll definitely not make that choice for her!

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Why do guys buy guns for women?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Now get a Bar-Sto .357sig bbl and some doubletap for some real fun.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links