Springfield XD-S .45, need some user insight on possible issues

This is a discussion on Springfield XD-S .45, need some user insight on possible issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. I am very interested in the xd-s and just wanted to seek some addtional opinions for this gun. I have heard some mixed ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mk70ss
  • 1 Post By Ljutic
  • 1 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By gottabkiddin

Thread: Springfield XD-S .45, need some user insight on possible issues

Hello everyone. I am very interested in the xd-s and just wanted to seek some addtional opinions for this gun. I have heard some mixed reviews between being a great shooter and reliable and of course the opposite as well. One of the big negatives I have heard about this model is having to keep the gun pretty "wet" with oil for it to handle correctly. Have you guys or gals had many issues with this? Thanks in advance for any feedback good or bad.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

I have had zero issues with mine. I keep it clean and minimally lubed, but "wet", no. Gun functions 100% with both ball and Critical Defense carry ammo. I love mine.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    No one ever said it'd be easy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mk70ss View Post
    I have had zero issues with mine. I keep it clean and minimally lubed, but "wet", no. Gun functions 100% with both ball and Critical Defense carry ammo. I love mine.
    Same here but I use Federal Hydra Shocks.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Good to know, thanks guys. I like both of those ammo choices myself.

No problems here and i use gold dots

Zero issues of any kind. If you are interested, please feel free to poke around my blog. I did a full review on the XDs and terminal tested HST and Win Ranger Ts through it.

Currently using Pocket Guns and Gear: Clear Gel Terminal testing Winchester Ranger 45 Auto +P 230 Grain T-Series

Review was multi part, but this is probably the most interesting part. Pocket Guns and Gear: Springfield Armory XDs 45 ACP Range Report and Review Wrap-up
    Bowie likes this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I've had several people shoot mine, and none of us have ever had any issues. About 500 rounds through it so far.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I love mine and have had no problems at all.

Administrator
    I have no love for the XD line, but that's not what I'm posting; whenever I hear somebody tell me a pistol such as an XD, Glock or whatever flavor of the month you want to insert needs to run "wet" I stop listening to them right away and chuck previous gun advice they have given right directly into the trash can where it belongs.
    Think about what they are saying... Where is all the friction and moving parts in a auto pistol? There is hardly none. Why would it need to be dosed with oil? They are simply parroting a term that would apply to a auto rifle or SMG type because they want to sound like they know what they are talking about.
    That is all. My rant for the day is done.
    Bowie likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Excellent, thanks for the feedback folks. Im glad to hear this little shooter is working well. And thank you for the link to your review Ljutic, there is some really useful and interesting info there especially concerning the slide and recoil. Looks like I will have to go shopping this weekend.

No issues with mine. I use Frog Lube and it eats everything Ive thrown at it. Including TulAmmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    Hello everyone. I am very interested in the xd-s and just wanted to seek some addtional opinions for this gun. I have heard some mixed reviews between being a great shooter and reliable and of course the opposite as well. One of the big negatives I have heard about this model is having to keep the gun pretty "wet" with oil for it to handle correctly. Have you guys or gals had many issues with this? Thanks in advance for any feedback good or bad.
    I've put close to a thousand rounds thru mine so far and haven't had a single issue with it... The only thing I've had that is even remotely a concern for me is, I get a pinch on my trigger finger after a few mags of shooting. I attribute this to fatigue from shooting the .45ACP outa such a small pistol... Awesome pistol IMO, and also MO, one of the best pocketable .45ACP pistols out there. I'd seriously equate its function and reliability to that of the Glock. Again, JMO.
    Bowie likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Glad to hear you have so many rounds through it without issue! of course i went shopping for one last night and no one has in stock in my area, figures. I will keep looking though. Thanks for all the feedback!

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Good luck in your hunt for the XDS. I was rewarded after several months of patient waiting and believe the XDS is the most "shootable" .45 pistol in my collection.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    Glad to hear you have so many rounds through it without issue! of course i went shopping for one last night and no one has in stock in my area, figures. I will keep looking though. Thanks for all the feedback!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCityChief View Post
    Good luck in your hunt for the XDS. I was rewarded after several months of patient waiting and believe the XDS is the most "shootable" .45 pistol in my collection.
    Yep, patience is key. Local stock around here is hit or miss as well (more "miss" right now, as more Wisconsinites are exercising their rights to carry). I certainly believe you won't be disappointed. It's a surprisingly easy to shoot and accurate little pistol. The rental XD-s out-shot my Sig P238 in accuracy, with a nicer trigger too. IMO, the recoil is not bad at all--stronger, but not snappy like the little micro .380's and 9mm's.

Depending on how long you are willing to wait, rumor has it that Springfield will be debuting the XD-s in 9mm and .40S&W at SHOT Show next year. I can guess that there'll be plenty of gently used XD-s in .45ACP coming into the used market.

Sponsored Links