Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD? - Page 3

Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

This is a discussion on Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a full size 1911 exclusively, in a crossbreed super tuck. That with a good belt, had given me no problems at all. It's ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

I carry a full size 1911 exclusively, in a crossbreed super tuck. That with a good belt, had given me no problems at all. It's the gun i shoot the most accurately, love the trigger. Wouldn't trust my life with anything else.

New carry firearm

Got this over the holidays at Foothhills Firearms in Yuma, AZ. A Colt New Agent w/ a Trinjicon tritium night sigts.

BTW, a little trick to reassembling this can be found online- keep a paper clip handy!!

Dave Cook

new agent 1.jpg

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I did carry a 1911 untill mysrlf and a few friends had a discussion about our carry guns. It was brought up that god forbid we had no other choice but to use our firearm to save ourself from imminate danger that when it is over and LEO shows up there goes your gun. I never thought about that, gun taken for evidence never to be seen again. Sorry your gun has been misplaced and we can not find it. Now my 1911 mostly sees the safe or get togethers. My Glock sees the most carry time now.

I just switched to a 4" 1911 after carrying an HK USP Compact for a decade or so. So far so good, and I've even gotten a few compliments.

all day, everyday. colt combat elite

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Primarily carry a 3-inch 1911 but on occasion will carry a 4 or 5 inch.
    Hey Top, I am there with you. My primary is a Kimbe RCP in .45 ACP and I shoot a S&W 1911 5 inch is IDPA.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

i do have a 5" 1911 that is reliable enough for CC, but i don't. it's strictly a range gun. the reason is that all my other carry guns are 'point and shoot', and i don't trust myself to run the 1911's safety so that it's not engaged when i need to shoot. same thing with my SAO Sig P-220.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The wind blew my coat sleeve as I fired and it would up wound up wedged between the beavertail and the hammer.
    That's operator induced.
    phreddy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I have a Kimber Custom II in my carry rotation.

Full size 1911 in a MTAC IWB. For me the choice of a 1911 was perfect as I prefer a gun with manual safety. I can wrestle with my two kids and not worry about a thing. Cocked and Locked at all times.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    An EMP in 9mm but only when I want to dress up and show off.

Full sized Kimber stainless from day one.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

GH
    If I had a 1911 & it was reliable it would certainly go in my carry rotation.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I moved away from 1911's about two years ago and have been carrying a Glock or M&P both at work and on personal time. But, I picked up another Nighthawk (Diamond Black GRP), which will be here in a couple days, and I'll likely start carrying it right away. I'm happy with 1911's just as I am Glocks and I whole heartedly believe that modern 9mm ammo is pretty much as effective as modern 45, but I shoot 1911's a little better and just prefer the way they feel.

So, I'll likely mix it up, but the Nighthawk will be seeing a good bit of carry time.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I moved away from 1911's about two years ago and have been carrying a Glock or M&P both at work and on personal time. But, I picked up another Nighthawk (Diamond Black GRP), which will be here in a couple days, and I'll likely start carrying it right away. I'm happy with 1911's just as I am Glocks and I whole heartedly believe that modern 9mm ammo is pretty much as effective as modern 45...
    I'm not quite following. Is the Night Hawk a 9mm 1911, or was the 9mm comment referring to Glocks, etc???

...So, I'll likely mix it up, but the Nighthawk will be seeing a good bit of carry time.
    I'm a hopeless mix it upper . I think I switch from one platform to another, mainly Glock and Kimber, just for a change.

...I shoot 1911's a little better and just prefer the way they feel.
    Me too. Although I just got back from the range with my G34 gen 4 with X300 mounted on it and for me, it's close, just not quite there. Seems like nothing shoots like a 1911 with a good trigger.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links