Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

This is a discussion on Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Various makes and models of 1911s, but I exclusively carry 1911s. I have owned other kinds of pistols and revolvers, but for concealed carry, have ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Various makes and models of 1911s, but I exclusively carry 1911s. I have owned other kinds of pistols and revolvers, but for concealed carry, have stuck with the 1911--I shoot it well, I like consistency in a platform for muscle memory under stress, and redundancy in being able to cannabalize in order to keep one running during hard times. (my wife's carry is EMP in 9mm--for the same reasons of muscle memory--if needed she can grab one of my .45s and nothing is different [except the size of the hole in the BG).
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    You know that I do daily carry a firearm in .45ACP. The Colt Combat Commander strikes a nice balance for me. That would be the firearm that I carry most often.
    Not that I have anything against 9mm or the .40 etc etc but, only that there are no other handgun calibers that (I feel) offer up any advantages superior enough to cause me to want to switch over to something else.

I always have been happy with my caliber choice.

Couple that with the fact that my best concealed carry holsters are for .45s and I have at least 50 magazines for the .45 and my favorite grips are on my .45s & blah Blah Blah so...that is probably what I will continue to carry unless something incredibly different gets invented.
    zero, brocktice and glockman10mm like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Of course they are fantastic alternative. I carry an officer size 1911 which i rotate with a colt mustang depending on clothing requirement. When possible I carry either a full size or a commander. Years ago I carried a Glock 23 (first gen). wonderful gun, but to me I shoot a 1911s better.

I carry a full-size all the time

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    My Combat Elite doesn't see a lot of time anymore, but I always grin when I thread my belt through my Summer Special II. I have moved to AIWB carry almost exclusively and my full size Govt. Model doesn't work well there. I still feel completely comfortable with a 1911 though.

Kimber Ultra Carry II away from home, when I'm home I carry a J frame.
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Yes I carry my commander sized 1911 a lot sometimes a full sized 5", but mostly my Browning Hi Power or my commander .45.

Like the 1911 / Hi-Power platform because there flat, accurate & with an IWB holster they conceal so easy.

I do. Sig RCS and Sig P238.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That's operator induced.
    Yeah, yeah, I'm an incompetent noob who is without clue.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    8-9 months of the year, I carry a full size 1911. Usually the one pictured. If I have to dress up & concealing is an issue, a smaller 1911.

I also keep another 1911 in my go-bag.

The warmer months I carry a Glock 23, since sweat doesn't harm the Glock as easily as the 1911s.
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Daily. .45ACP, 1911. Nothing else matters. :)
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I carry one and believe it to be a viable choice.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Sig Ultra in a UBG Canute.

In my opinion the 1911 is a wonderful option not highest round count but great for smaller hands. Heavy but that cuts down on recoil. I carry my Colt 38 super with the feeling that I have the best tool in which I have at my disposal. I like the weight balance and reliability of a quality 1911. There are certainly better guns on the market for specific tasks but in my opinion the best all around gun is the 1911 in your caliber of preference. They were the glock of John Brownings world. These new high round count torture tests you see are nothing new colt did it for the ordinance board 102 years ago. I still like Glocks and many others but it'd be hard to say that anything will ever take their place
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JetGirl View Post
    Huh.
    I'm assuming it must have been an enhanced hammer/swept beaver-tail (where no space is between them, trapping fabric) like so:

I've never heard of anything like that...but then I haven't been around long enough to see it all.

Yet.
    Yes, just like that.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links