Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD? - Page 5

Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

This is a discussion on Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; More and more manufactures seem to want to down size the 1911 platform into a "sub-compact" version. Rob Pincus, a renowned self defense firearms expert ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

More and more manufactures seem to want to down size the 1911 platform into a "sub-compact" version.

Rob Pincus, a renowned self defense firearms expert has warned that these "sub-compact 1911's" have consistently demonstrated reliability issues.

Rob Pincus: Sub-Compact 1911s Suck | The Truth About Guns

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I carry a gov. frame 1911 OWB in leather; mostly during the fall (hunting season). It's mostly CC, but OC is legal so I don't mind that a sharp eye may spot a nice leather holster poking out from under the hem of my cover garment.

I do this because I know St. Peter has retired and JMB now watches the pearly gates.

The rest of the time my 1911 is my primary HD gun.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I'm feeling nostalgic here of late.

My first auto was a Series 80 Combat Commander some 27 years ago.

I'm thinking of going full cirlce and going back to a Commander sized 1911,
    but really don't like the CCO or Bobbed versions on the market.

Like the idea of a full grip and the ability to use most any magazine.

It would also have to have an aluminum frame for me to be able to carry it,
    and I'd really like some sort of firing pin safety feature.

The KIMBER Pro Carry is on my list for 2013.

Sig P938 for me when I'm not carrying my G19 or my XDs...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I originally thought they would be way too big, but after buying a Commander-length Sig 1911 I discovered it's thin enough to be no harder to conceal than my P229.

I carry my Custom II Stainless Kimber quite a little. I prefer a Government over the smaller sizes.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I've seen 200 and 230 gr. 45 auto ammo fail to penetrate in 3 shootings that I've been witness to.

I feel more comfortable with today's loads on the market like this:

A reported 15.5 inches in a gelatin/denim test.

Or the even deeper penetrating TAC-XPs that have even more pen.

.45 ACP +P DoubleTap 160-grain Barnes TAC-XP Colt Commander (4.25-inch barrel) 1,248 14.0

Now that's confidence building for me even if the loads would have some real recoil to them.

Colt Defender

I have tried several 1911s for carry and finally found my favorite one for that application - a Colt Defender with 3 inch barrel and Officer's length grip. The thickness varies from 0.90 inches in the slide to 1.05 inches in the grip, so it conceals easily with a very small "bump". It is quite accurate with a very good trigger, and gives you 7+1 rounds of ammo with the right magazine. After 1000 trouble free rounds through the gun, I trust it to function every time.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Yep, work great with full-size in an IWB holster. Try make sure it's got the extra high little leather flap so the hammer don't bite your side if you have the mil-spec model. If you don't have a holster, you can take a shoestring, tie it together and loop around the belt, putting gun inside and down into pants...old OSS holster method...(you could deny having a gun if found out and you managed to ditch it, but they found the string) holds it good. They have something called a Clipdraw now that's cool too. I don't like the smaller sizes cause sometimes jam it behind my wallet if on range firing and they usually fall out if you move...not good. Don Hume Leather makes some good reasonable stuff for them. Brownell's has a FREE catalog devoted just to the 1911 model. Has some cool stuff. Always mirror polish the feed ramp and inside of barrel at top-hood-to stop feed problems and if not that accurate, a Wilson Dyer Group Gripper for about $40 really works wonders. Mostly they're more accurate than other guns and you only need one good placed shot per bad guy...I'd rather have the .45 with 8 rounds or 9, than the 9mm that has more recoil, less knockdown power weighs just as much with it's fat mags.

Full time CCW full size 1911 from 1965 until just recently . Physical changes and health issues make 3lbs of 1911 less desirable than 1lb of 5 shot .38 wheel gun for 24/7 carry . 1911 is still go to if I have time to grab it around home . Never had one let me down when it was needed .

I carry a Sig 238 in rotation with my SW 9 but I haven't carried any of my full size 1911. I am considering getting a 3 or 4 in version just because of how well they shoot. I know that 1911s may have less reliability than the modern auto. However, for that reason I am more meticulous about maintenance on my 1911 than any of my other guns. As a result I am very confident of their reliability.

Carried a Kimber Pro carry 9mm in fall, winter, and spring weather (basically anytime I wore a longsleeve shirt or sweatshirt), and just ordered a Kimber UC2 to carry every day. Excellent platform for SD in my opinion.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    I did carry a 1911 untill mysrlf and a few friends had a discussion about our carry guns. It was brought up that god forbid we had no other choice but to use our firearm to save ourself from imminate danger that when it is over and LEO shows up there goes your gun. I never thought about that, gun taken for evidence never to be seen again. Sorry your gun has been misplaced and we can not find it. Now my 1911 mostly sees the safe or get togethers. My Glock sees the most carry time now.
    Small price to pay for being alive.
    bmcgilvray, bgusty, imatt and 2 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Yes, just like that.
    Thanks for the freaky clarification!
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. ~ Col. Jeff Cooper

mkh
    I carried a Sig 1911 Ultra until last week when I replaced it with a Glock 19. I decided that the officer size 1911 was just too small for me to be comfortable carrying it.

When I get the spare change I may get a S&W E series compact but in the meantime if I feel the urge to carry a .45 I'll carry my P220.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links