Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD? - Page 8

Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

This is a discussion on Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a bobtailed, EGW custom LW Commander, on occasion. Awesome gun, I just love it. Once in a while I'll carry a WC Light ...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

I carry a bobtailed, EGW custom LW Commander, on occasion. Awesome gun, I just love it.

Once in a while I'll carry a WC Light Weight Commander

But honestly, I can carry a Glock 19 or Glock 17 even more easily (lighter weight) with much higher capacity (16-rnds and 18-rnds), and I can shoot them just about as well. So even though I love my 1911's and do occasionally carry one, the Glocks are my first choice in carry guns. This is due to higher capacity and greater comfort (lower weight).
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

The 1911 is definitely the iconic American gun, but I simply can't wrap my head around on CCWing one. I'm not bashing the 1911, I just can't look at one without thinking that it is begging to snag on something.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    The 1911 is definitely the iconic American gun, but I simply can't wrap my head around on CCWing one. I'm not bashing the 1911, I just can't look at one without thinking that it is begging to snag on something.
    MJB... as much as I love the 1911 (and I do have quite a few nice ones, which I love!) I believe the best of today's polymer, striker-fired pistols do make better carry guns, overall. They have a sleeker form factor, are less snag-prone, lighter in weight, and have much greater capacity. And while the triggers can't match those of a good 1911, they can still be quite good. Glock 19, 17, and 30 come to mind quite readily.
    MJB_17 and RETSUPT99 like this.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

121229_0002.jpg
    does this count?!

if it does, then i do...

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    MJB... as much as I love the 1911 (and I do have quite a few nice ones, which I love!) I believe the best of today's polymer, striker-fired pistols do make better carry guns, overall. They have a sleeker form factor, are less snag-prone, lighter in weight, and have much greater capacity. And while the triggers can't match those on a good 1911, they can still be quite good. Glock 19, 17, and 30 come to mind quite readily.
    Yea I think you're right on the money, I like my carry guns to be as 'smooth' as possible. I like the 1911 design, but it just isn't suited for concealed carry under clothing. If/when I ever get into 3 Gun competition, I will probably go with a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Yea I think you're right on the money, I like my carry guns to be as 'smooth' as possible. I like the 1911 design, but it just isn't suited for concealed carry under clothing. If/when I ever get into 3 Gun competition, I will probably go with a 1911.
    In fact, the 1911 can be utilized for CC quite easily. A beavertail grip safety/hammer of the proper shape and dimensions helps reduce the chance of snagging on the draw.
    USM1976 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

It seems counterintuitive, but with a long enough cover garment, it's actually easier for me to conceal my full size 1911 with an OWB holster than an IWB. The reason is that with the IWB my pants push the barrel toward my body, which pushes the grip away from my body.

OD*
    I've been trying out a new DSG Arms Alpha Holster for the 1911 , so I'm back to carrying a 1911 at least for a while. Carrying this pistol currently.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Occasionally in what passes for winter down here. It's usually my Colt OM. I've been thinking lately about breaking out the Colt Gov't Series 70, especially if I have to go to NY for security work,with the new dopey gun law.That being said.. if it's going to be a 7rd MAG, it'll be full of 230gr rounds!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I carry a bobtailed, EGW custom LW Commander, on occasion. Awesome gun, I just love it.

Once in a while I'll carry a WC Light Weight Commander

But honestly, I can carry a Glock 19 or Glock 17 even more easily (lighter weight) with much higher capacity (16-rnds and 18-rnds), and I can shoot them just about as well. So even though I love my 1911's and do occasionally carry one, the Glocks are my first choice in carry guns. This is due to higher capacity and greater comfort (lower weight).
    Beautiful 1911's my friend. I usually carry my G19, but there is something about "Ol' Slabsides" !!
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Of course it's viable. I rotate between the Colt, a G17, and a 44 special SA revolver, or M10 38.
    NOW that's called covering all bases brother!!
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Beautiful 1911's my friend. I usually carry my G19, but there is something about "Ol' Slabsides" !!
    Thank you, OG.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I've been trying out a new DSG Arms Alpha Holster for the 1911 , so I'm back to carrying a 1911 at least for a while. Carrying this pistol currently.

OD... that is a stunning looking Colt and wonderfully featured.

I carry full size sometimes mostly a 3" though.

Carry a Baby 1911

My EDC for the most part is a Baby 1911 Sig P238. I also from time to time carry a Sig P250 subcompact.
    Attached Images
    gun_bushido likes this.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Sponsored Links