Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

This is a discussion on Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Rotate between 1911 G23 and Sig...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Rotate between 1911 G23 and Sig
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

2. Remove Ads

After shooting, trading, buying and selling a whole lot of handguns over the past 30+ years I've settled on 2 carry pieces, a 4" 1911 in 45acp or a 2.25" 357 revolver. Depending on the when and where, one of these two are with me.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

I have a holster ordered for my Kimber Super Carry Pro HD and when it gets here ill rotate between my XD-S .45 and my Kimber. I don't really carry my Glock anymore because it seems a little to bulky for my tastes...
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    OD... that is a stunning looking Colt and wonderfully featured.
    Thanks Dan, I appreciate that.

The pistol is actually a Les Baer, started with a DCM National Match Hardball.

I wanted a "Baer tight" *Coltesque* Government Model so I ordered the National Match Hardball pistol because it’s the only Baer model that doesn’t have the frame cut for the beavertail safety. I had them delete the national match sights and use their combat sights with the front being a trijicon night sight, I also had them delete the roll-markings from left side of slide and had them preform their Tactical Carry Package ("dehorned" for us old guys ). After I received the pistol I installed a wide notch Novak rear sight and fitted a Colt “tear drop” thumb safety.

bmcgilvray and DHart like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

mkh
    Used to. Now I don't. Will again in the future.

Jut waiting until I can accord a S&W E Series SC.

Quote Originally Posted by jcm View Post
    Count me as one more that carries a full size 1911.
    Another one here . Mine = RIA .45 ACP GI

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The wind blew my coat sleeve as I fired and it would up wound up wedged between the beavertail and the hammer.
    Holy cow, that could have ended badly in the right situation. Did it totally disable the weapon or were you able to clear it and return to battery ?

Colt Defender All day, every day.

IMG_0213.jpg

CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL SIZE

Yep!! I carry a 1911 every day of the week. I guess that makes it viable to me. It is my EDC, probably always will be.
    I Love Guns!!!

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I rotate these two. Chambers Custom WMG and Rogers Precision Colt Lwt. Commander.

I used to carry a full size 1911, but the SIZE, Weight, Round Count make it a bad choice when you have better options available. And around here, the 2 legged threats, are usually in packs of 2 or gang formation. I'd rather have something with 12rounds or more.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 1911 but right now I don't have one. Back in the day I had a Colt Commander in .38 Super that I sometimes carried. My main CCW over the last 20 years has been a Browning Hi-Power, cocked & locked.

Yes, I carry one version of a .45 ACP 1911 platform but, mostly during the warmer weather months of the year. Here's the two I carry: A Colt MK IV Series 70 that I have owned since 1979 and/or a RIA 1911 Tactical Compact. Both are solid, trouble-free handguns, excellent shooters in the accuracy department and suit me perfectly. On a side note, anyone who may doubt the function aspects of RIA, mine will repeatedly feed empty cases all day long. Over 300 rounds down the pipe with the RIA and only two FTF's: both happened during the first magazine on the day I bought it and only required a nudge from my thumb to seat the round.

Excalibur (The Colt) and Phaedra (The RIA):

Yes, every day. Kimber Super Carry Custom HD. Normally in an Andrews shoulder holster with 3 spare magazines. (Had him make that custom. Balances out the 5" pistol better than just 2 mags).

Occasionally in a UBG Regulator OWB.

You'd be suprised just how well either one will conceal. In 5 years of carrying, I've never had someone notice. Other than when I get a hug from family.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Thanks Dan, I appreciate that.

The pistol is actually a Les Baer, started with a DCM National Match Hardball.

I wanted a "Baer tight" *Coltesque* Government Model so I ordered the National Match Hardball pistol because it’s the only Baer model that doesn’t have the frame cut for the beavertail safety. I had them delete the national match sights and use their combat sights with the front being a trijicon night sight, I also had them delete the roll-markings from left side of slide and had them preform their Tactical Carry Package ("dehorned" for us old guys ). After I received the pistol I installed a wide notch Novak rear sight and fitted a Colt “tear drop” thumb safety.

Wonderful concept and finished result!
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Links