Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

This is a discussion on Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carry doesn't have to mean all the time, or exclusively. E.g. I carry a full size 1911 a lot as well as some variations in ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

Senior Moderator

Mostly curious, how many carry a 1911 of some form for SD?

Carry doesn't have to mean all the time, or exclusively. E.g. I carry a full size 1911 a lot as well as some variations in weight in size, but I also carry a Glock a lot.

What I'm looking for here is how many see the 1911 as an appropriate carry gun. Definitely NOT looking for who thinks what brand, kind, model is best. Just want to know how many consider the 1911 a viable carry gun.

Thanks!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Of course it's viable. I rotate between the Colt, a G17, and a 44 special SA revolver, or M10 38.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I did carry one for a while. Mine wasn't very reliable but it was my best option at the time. A lot of people carry them. They are easy to conceal with a good holster, belt, and appropriate clothing. Are you pretty accurate with the pistol? The main thing is reliability. Make sure your gun (1911, GLOCK, Sig, Hi-point, etc) functions perfectly with whichever SD ammo you decide to use, run at least a few full magazines of that ammo through the gun after a few hundred rounds of range ammo. If it works without a hitch it should be good to go.

I carry a GLOCK 19 now and I don't see that ever changing, but I wouldn't rule out carrying a 1911 again if I can get one that is reliable. They are damn nice pistols.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    While my primary carry guns are a Kahr CW45 or a CZ P-01, I do on occasion carry my 1911 CBOB. IMO, 1911's are definitely a viable carry option.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I almost always carry a 1911. Although I have a five inch 1911, I usually carry a four or a three inch 1911. I have, however, recently purchased an SP101 and it could see a lot of carry time.

Yep, definitely viable. Even a full size 1911 with a 5 inch barrel can be carried, but the compact models are even nicer for carry. I plan to carry my Kimber Super Carry Ultra as my #1 EDC as soon as my holster gets here.
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

In bygone times I frequently carried a 1911 as it was a good fit beneath a buisness suit. I acquired an additional "usin'" 1911 about a year ago so have gone back to carrying one on occasion. I'm like gman, and rotate the 1911 in with some favored revolvers. For me, the 1911 has found favor for an occasional all-night security gig done for a gun show promoter friend.

I view the 1911, with its single-action design, handy safety, and delightful trigger as a most viable and appropriate carry gun.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I carry a 1911 platform of some sort (mostly IWB). Usually, 3". Occasionally 4".
    I have on occasion carried 5", but switch to an OWB holster for that (but in the same location on my person).

jcm
    Count me as one more that carries a full size 1911.

OD*
    Started carrying an Interarms Silver Cup in 1979, carried one or another flavor 1911 up until this past April, still an extremely viable option to me.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I DO.....Carry a Kimber UC2 w/Night Sights & Laser Grip's
    I dont carry it exclusively since i also use my Kahr PM45 alot but i'll admit if i ever went into a situation knowing i would rather have the 1911. It's very accurate, reliable & i feel the Laser Grips are a great asset. The Kahr PM45 is just easier to carry & although it does have Night Sights i feel like iam missing something compared to the well set-up 1911.
    Oh i also deep conceal a Diamond Back DB9 (my bug) at times, reliability has been good but its my last choice in a fight (small & sucky sights)...
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I carried a 1911 exclusively until I experienced a design-induced failure. I haven't carried one since then.
    RonCo likes this.

VIP Member
    IF you have one that runs reliably and IF you have the time and patience to tinker with it to KEEP it running reliably, then, yes, it is fabulous carry gun.

I have yet to find another .45 ACP that shoots better than a 1911.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Yep, I carry a 4" 1911 often. Bought a DW ECO and it renewed my interest in the platform for carry. It is light and shoots extremely reliable. That is key for me. I still alternate it out with a couple others based on weather, clothes, or that occasional time I do not want anything IWB so I grab my .380 for the pocket. I have it in a King Tuk IWB.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I carried a 1911 exclusively until I experienced a design-induced failure. I haven't carried one since then.
    If you don't mind me asking...what might that have been?
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. ~ Col. Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links