Smith & Wesson .45 ACP Revolver - But Which One?

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson .45 ACP Revolver - But Which One? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am seriously thinking of a Smith & Wesson .45 ACP Revolver and I see that they have a few of them (the Governor, the ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 7 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By GeorgiaShooter
  • 2 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By lafayettela
  • 2 Post By WC145

Thread: Smith & Wesson .45 ACP Revolver - But Which One?

I am seriously thinking of a Smith & Wesson .45 ACP Revolver and I see that they have a few of them (the Governor, the 325, the 625, etc). Now I am wondering if anyone has one of those and would be able to recommend one of them, make comments about how they feel, how they shoot, etc.

Thanks guys.

2. Remove Ads

The .45 ACP works very well in a quality revolver, giving outstanding accuracy and providing effective terminal performance.

While I don't have personally own one, I'd certainly recommend a Smith & Wesson Model 625 like the one at the top of the three revolvers, shown in photo above, which belongs to a friend of mine. The revolver is accurate enough for the most precise target work and still relatively compact for concealability. It's very dependable and easy to rapidly load with moon clips. It offers true big-bore "thump" with easily controlled recoil. Nothing beats an N-Frame Smith & Wesson for effective rapid-fire double-action work. N-Frame Smith & Wesson double-action function has to be experienced to be appreciated. Did I say this revolver is very accurate? I'd like to have one of these of my own.

For a classy and very accurate range revolver one could search out and find a nice Smith & Wesson Model 25, otherwise known as the Model of 1955. This was a premium target revolver offered by Smith & Wesson for bulls-eye competition for a number of years. Now discontinued, it would still give a lot of joy at the range and would be the enthusiastic handloader's friend. See forum post No. 15 within the link below:
    Lets See Those model 25's

The .45 ACP chambered revolver goes back 96 years now, to World War I when both Colt and Smith & Wesson supplemented our armed forces' supplies of Model 1911 pistols by providing their large-framed revolvers to the War Department, chambered in .45 ACP. As a substitute standard issue handgun these gave a good account of themselves during the U.S. involvement in "The Great War."

I've shot a lot of .45 ACP through a couple of the old World War I revolvers in years gone by. I still have the revolvers but don't make too much use of them these days. Used to occasionally carry them for hiking or hunting on our old family place. These revolvers are capable of rewarding accuracy with quality ammunition. Very interesting historical pieces they are and still just as effective as they were in 1917-1918.

Colt Model 1917 (top) and Smith & Wesson Model 1917 (bottom).

More personal opinion ahead that should be taken with a grain of salt.

Smith & Wesson would go out of business awaiting my purchase of a Governor. The .410 shot shell fired from a revolver offers nothing special that can't be accomplished with proper .45 revolvers, that is .45 ACP or .45 Colt revolvers. Silly as a snake gun, it's also silly to think a .410 revolver has unique attributes as protection against "car-jacking," a claim frequently put forth as a reason for carrying one of these revolvers. It doesn't make the fearsome home-defense weapon that some folks feel it is for those who are unskilled with accurate handgun shooting either. I'd much prefer either of the ancient Model 1917 revolvers for any purpose than any clunky and awkward revolver that chambered .410 shotgun shells. This goes for the Taurus Judge line as well. The .410 slug is measly and any other .410 shell, whether it's carrying a compliment of three 000-buck shot or a swarm of No. 9 shot won't be any more special and effective on the receiving end than a properly administered 185-255 grain bullet fired from a proper .45 caliber arm.

Save the .410 for shotguns for the kids to use when dove shooting over a stock tank and put a proper revolver to work for handgun purposes.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The whole 'moon clip' thing just ruins the idea of a revolver for .45 ACP. Don't get me wrong, I love .45 ACP, I've been shooting many thousands of rounds of it for 30+ years. But I just see problems with the 'moon clip' idea......

But I suppose there might be some advantage to moon clips that I am not aware of??
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I want a 625. I've talked and shot with some others using them in state matches and examined their Safari Land rigs and gear. I just love the feel and the easy task of finding excellent options. Plus the moon clips in 45acp are especially easy and fast to reload. My only desire would be choosing sights, grips and cosmetics I like. I already reload 45acp and I can assure you shorter barrels will NOT deliver the same velocity and performance as a 5 inch barrel. If your going to carry a short barrel 45 you need to plan on short range close quarters use of it because increasing the loads and making them hotter to get the 900-1000fps you want with self defense you will loose your control and accuracy. I also own a S&W governor and while it's a very fun and interesting weapon it has some minor limitations too. I never shoot the 45 long colt option and rarely the 410. So I really should have bought a 625 in the first place and got it over with. I would love to shoot IDPA or USPSA with a revolver just to improve my shooting abilities in general. By the way go fire a box of the red federal personal defense 000 .410 at some steel barrels at 50 feet then tell me they are for kids. Honestly if you want a really great gun for self defense and carjacking think about getting a high capacity 9mm with +P critical duty ammo and lots of practice. If I bought a large revolver it would likely not be my primary carry.... anyway Good luck with whatever works out the best for you.
    PSLOwner likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    The whole 'moon clip' thing just ruins the idea of a revolver for .45 ACP. Don't get me wrong, I love .45 ACP, I've been shooting many thousands of rounds of it for 30+ years. But I just see problems with the 'moon clip' idea......

But I suppose there might be some advantage to moon clips that I am not aware of??
    I favor the 1911 platform but I also currently have two S&W 625 revolvers. a Model 1988, a 5 incher and a Model 1989 , a 4 incher.
    Alto I have several hundred Auto Rim cases I use the same ammo in my 1911's as I do the 625 and find the "MOON" clips to be be quite handy.
    I have shot the 625 in IDPA matches where "MOON" clip are not required but due to the nature of the sport they are certainly a necessity.

When going afield with one of the 625's I find that the "MOON" clips are a very easy way to carry a couple of reloads.

PS IMHO The Judge or the other makes/models of this "Frankengun" have no future in my gun safe. I think the are unbalanced and ugly.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Quick reload. They all extract together, and enter the chambers together. Plus, you can use the "45 Auto Rim" cartridge as well.

I agree with bmcgilvray. There is no way in hell I would buy S&Ws latest copycat abortion called the Governor. Just say no.
    aus71383 and msgt/ret like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have 4 .45ACP revolvers. A 625-10, 325PD, 625-8 and a Governor. By far my favorite is the 325PD. Moonclips with .45ACP are fast loading, easy to carry and, with the proper tools, easy to load and unload. The polymer clips can be loaded and easily unloaded without any tools at the range. When I carry my 325PD i carry two or three moonclips in my pocket. I would not have been able to carry the same number of rounds in speedloaders in a pocket as easily.

If you like revolvers and like .45 ACP you should find one and try it out. The moonclip debate is a non-issue in my opinion.
    PSLOwner likes this.

But you're ok with magazines for autos, right? Try thinking of them as mags for revolvers - they're a convenient way to carry spare ammo, allow for very fast reloads and positive ejection of all the empties at once. What's not to like?
    msgt/ret and bmcgilvray like this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I've got no experience with 45ACP revolvers. But I do have two 9mm SP101s that I use moon clips with. Moon clips are awesome and are not a hassle at all. I find them easy to load and unload without tools and they really increase the reload time in the gun as well.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

If I were going to buy a .45 ACP revolver - it would be the type that takes full moon clips. If I were going to carry it, probably a 3 or 4 inch barrel would be it. It ends up being a pretty huge and heavy gun, which only carries 6 rounds. So....I haven't done it. The "Governor" looks like a gigantic, gimmicky piece of junk to me. I would never own such a thing.

Something like this, maybe....at least it's sort of light? 2 pounds isn't light. Who am I kidding Product: Model 325 Thunder Ranch

Or this - which is 2.5 pounds, but is similar to the one used to set world records for speed shooting Product: Model 625 JM

World Record 12 Shots In Under 3 Seconds - YouTube

Pretty cool. I bet they feel "cool". Never shot one though.

Austin

This would be a "stay at home" gun and would not be used for concealed carry.

I think next weekend is the looking visit.

I'm just curious but has everyone that hates the gov actually fired one using various scenarios and ammo? I think most people are surprised what a fun gun they are to own for multi use.

Links